Allianz Hurling League 2020

Started by Mossy Bruce, November 26, 2019, 10:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

portlaoisekid

Quote from: clonadmad on February 04, 2020, 12:59:58 PM
You could hardly blame him.

No where else would this lack of commitment take place.

In 3/4 Years time and we down in 2 or worse where Offaly are,at the minute in the championship.

We will rue the opportunity we had as a county.
couldnt agree more

blueandwhite1

Lads, how is the county boards fault that so many strong hurlers won't commit? It is not as if the set up or funding isn't there. Surely the blame for the fact that almost nobody from Camross wants to hurl with Laois lies with Camross? Then when you look at the long list of Leigh Bergin, PJ Scully, Joe Campion, Cha Dwyer etc. etc. I would bet that what is most galling to Eddie is the number of capable players that don't want to play senior hurling. Simply can't be competitive in a small county unless everyone is in pushing for places.

I'm no fan of the county board but sometimes they are used (a bit like the government) to hide where the real accountability lies - with the clubs and the players themselves. 

Joeythelips

It is unfortunate, but you cannot force anyone to play and commit to demands of inter county hurling. The galling thing is last year under this set up they got themselves a shot at the top table which for a county which has been down for so long you would think everyone would get on board for a year or two to see where it would take them. That is all that really happened under Micko in football, he was no master tactician but every decent footballer in the county wanted to be apart of it and we won a Leinster title.

It would be very frustrating for all involved but we should not lose sight that there are players who are committing to the cause and we should get behind them and focus on those lads, not ones who are not there for whatever reason. Its nice to see the footballers starting the league well after a few people not committing this year. Management and players simply got on with it and seem to be building a nice team. Whatever happens this year I dont think Eddie Brennans reputation will be too badly affected, as everyone could see the impact he had last year.

clonadmad

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 04, 2020, 02:04:30 PM
Lads, how is the county boards fault that so many strong hurlers won't commit? It is not as if the set up or funding isn't there. Surely the blame for the fact that almost nobody from Camross wants to hurl with Laois lies with Camross? Then when you look at the long list of Leigh Bergin, PJ Scully, Joe Campion, Cha Dwyer etc. etc. I would bet that what is most galling to Eddie is the number of capable players that don't want to play senior hurling. Simply can't be competitive in a small county unless everyone is in pushing for places.

I'm no fan of the county board but sometimes they are used (a bit like the government) to hide where the real accountability lies - with the clubs and the players themselves.

Completely agree with you,nail on the head

I don't think anyone that's anyway informed on what's going is blaming the CB

They have done their very  best in relation to the set up

Eddie Brennan and his management also can't be blamed for the year ahead.

The lads that don't want to commit and their clubs in certain circumstances are where the blame resides

High Fielder

I don't like seeing any of our teams under strength, but I could understand lads not wanting to go in. There's very little incentive to keep going back year after year. To those that do it, we are of course grateful, but I can think of many reasons why it wouldn't make much appeal. I would say that everything needs to be as close to perfect in your life to facilitate a long career in the GAA. We forget far too easily that the soccer players we look at every week get paid thousands and millions, and yet the lads we question on here get zilch. That doesn't sit easily with me, and I don't think amateur players deserve criticism for looking after the things in their life that are more meaningful to them

Joeythelips

Quote from: High Fielder on February 04, 2020, 03:02:13 PM
I don't like seeing any of our teams under strength, but I could understand lads not wanting to go in. There's very little incentive to keep going back year after year. To those that do it, we are of course grateful, but I can think of many reasons why it wouldn't make much appeal. I would say that everything needs to be as close to perfect in your life to facilitate a long career in the GAA. We forget far too easily that the soccer players we look at every week get paid thousands and millions, and yet the lads we question on here get zilch. That doesn't sit easily with me, and I don't think amateur players deserve criticism for looking after the things in their life that are more meaningful to them

Its true lads have careers, families etc so its perfectly understandable if lads cannot commit but I dont buy the incentive thing this year, Laois are a lower league county and last year they were given a taste of playing some of the big teams and did not look out of place. You would think this was a huge incentive for players to get involved. It was not to be and hopefully Laois give a good account themselves but the feeling is it will be a missed opportunity and looking at our history these chances do not come around very often.

High Fielder

Maybe they felt that last year was as good as it gets? Realistically speaking, what is the most that could be achieved? I always think there's this misconception in GAA circles that if you train hard enough, then the sky's the limit. I don't buy that for a minute. There are so many variables that go into making a successful GAA team, and we negate many f them by being a dual county. We're a small county too, so defections are a bigger problem than in counties that could swallow that up. It's probably something that we're going to have to live with, and one day, the variables will be in our favour.

clonadmad

You suggesting pay for play?

Good luck with that because the minute you do that players are subject to employment law and can go to the highest bidder.

There's as much chance of the Laois lads winning an all ireland  this year as Patrick Horgan,it doesn't diminish his level of commitment.

The lads that are on current panel are bursting themselves to stay competitive,those that didn't commit have left them in the lurch,that's the bottom line.

The mentality amongst many in this county is weak and soft.

portlaoisekid

Quote from: clonadmad on February 04, 2020, 02:38:22 PM

The lads that don't want to commit and their clubs in certain circumstances are where the blame resides
Are the CB not the reason why he was going to walk? A demand not met?

High Fielder

Quote from: clonadmad on February 04, 2020, 04:02:42 PM

Good luck with that because the minute you do that players are subject to employment law and can go to the highest bidder.

There's as much chance of the Laois lads winning an all ireland  this year as Patrick Horgan,it doesn't diminish his level of commitment.

The lads that are on current panel are bursting themselves to stay competitive,those that didn't commit have left them in the lurch,that's the bottom line.

Pay for play or incentives to play already exist on a scale well beyond our means or comprehension.

Nobody has been left in the lurch. To say that is to suggest that lads are duty bound to be in there. They are not.

It is not weak or soft to look after the things in life that mean the most to you. That can be family, job or health, or many other things for that matter. Unless there's a panel member on here, which I doubt, I don't think we are the right people to question commitment from behind a keyboard.

clonadmad

Quote from: portlaoisekid on February 04, 2020, 04:03:05 PM

It's nothing to do with the CB,he's pulling his hair out at the attitude amongst those who won't commit.

I wouldn't blame him if he walked

No outsider manager of consequence or substance  would ever touch laois again.

We will be back to chasing the likes of Eamon Kelly and every other mercenary journey man manager all over again

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on February 04, 2020, 04:17:13 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on February 04, 2020, 04:02:42 PM

Pay for play or incentives to play already exist on a scale well beyond our means or comprehension.

Nobody has been left in the lurch. To say that is to suggest that lads are duty bound to be in there. They are not.

It is not weak or soft to look after the things in life that mean the most to you. That can be family, job or health, or many other things for that matter. Unless there's a panel member on here, which I doubt, I don't think we are the right people to question commitment from behind a keyboard.

We might as well give up then

Break all the hurleys and tell the kids not to bother

Eddie Brennan is a born winner and he has brought the attitude of a winner and last year he transformed the county and lads wouldn't commit.

You'd think this year some of them would want want to get on board but no.

My heart goes out to the lads bursting their bollocks every week for Laois,but they are on fools errand without everyone on board

High Fielder

In theory I'm 100% on your side clonadmad. But don't let the irony be lost on you. Eddie wouldn't drive down the road to train Laois for free. If he did, then his jumping up and down would be all the more meaningful.

Unlaoised

Quote from: clonadmad on February 04, 2020, 04:22:54 PM
Quote from: portlaoisekid on February 04, 2020, 04:03:05 PM

It's nothing to do with the CB,he's pulling his hair out at the attitude amongst those who won't commit.

I wouldn't blame him if he walked

No outsider manager of consequence or substance  would ever touch laois again.

We will be back to chasing the likes of Eamon Kelly and every other mercenary journey man manager all over again

Fact hurling is only going one way after this year im afraid ...

So sad when you see the seems against Dublin and Tipp last year ...the train journey to the Tipp game was like a throw back to laois under micko
LAOIS ABÚ

Giovanni

Quote from: High Fielder on February 04, 2020, 04:32:46 PM
In theory I'm 100% on your side clonadmad. But don't let the irony be lost on you. Eddie wouldn't drive down the road to train Laois for free. If he did, then his jumping up and down would be all the more meaningful.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point, but I don't think this is a very fair comment.

In his tenure so far, he has made a huge contribution to lifting general interest in hurling in Laois. He has made a quite amazing difference to performance levels. I don't think it's unreasonable for him to be disappointed (or jumping up and down) when lads say they won't commit. As a manager it's hardly unreasonable to expect fellas' interest to grow when they can see what's possible. In our case, interest seems to have actually declined. That's just odd.

Playing sport at that level is not only about winning All-Irelands - only a handful make that honour each year. It's also about gaining the respect and admiration of people from your own community, it's about individual honours (like the All Star nominations) and it's about being the best that you can personally be and testing yourself against the so-called greats. There are still people talking about what the likes of Pat Critchley, John Taylor, PJ Cuddy and the likes did as players. They won no All-Irelands but their talent and contribution continues to be recognised by most people who saw them play.