Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: screenexile on November 07, 2017, 10:04:21 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 07, 2017, 08:54:57 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 06, 2017, 11:33:14 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 06, 2017, 11:19:17 PM
The security forces not only colluded with loyalists to murder innocent Catholics. They also intimidated, stopped and searched cars for no reason, long delays, threatening lads, man-handling them, made threats, etc. So many people have deep hatred for the RUC. And I'd say it's only lessened slightly since it's name change. If at all.

If you see anywhere where I said they didn't colluded then grand... but take off your rose tainted glasses and see it for what it was, a war a very dirty stinking war, and nobody fought Queensbury rules style... searched most days growing up, homes raided on a number of occasions, riots on a daily bases and family shot at wounded and beaten up, very lucky to not lose anyone, so I can't know how a person would feel losing a brother sister or parent... I'm sure it's tough

An eye for an eye attitude will make everyone blind, moving forward, albeit slowly is a hell of a lot better than the place I grew up in, dragging up the past is making the peace process painfully slow, people looking justice is right but an amnesty of sorts and a truth commission would heal a lot quicker

As for accepting the police, it's got to be done, at some point you'll have to call them and use them and put your trust in them!
Right on the money Milltown. You can't on the one hand expect people to forget the campaign of violence perpetrated by republicans and to accept the bone fides of the new peaceful republican movement and on the other denigrate members of your own community joining the PSNI and trying to make policing more representative. This is just wrong and any GAA club that would reject someone in those circumstances does not belong in the GAA.

I agree with most of what you're saying aia but I think the last bit is wrong.

Yes Creggan did not handle the situation correctly at the time and the way Peadar was treated in not being picked for the team or even acknowledged in training games is despicable, the club should have backed him.

Having said that it was a challenging time for Nationalist communities to get their head around a "new" police force and while they should have shown the leadership and foresight to back him it wasn't just quite as simple as that. If they issue an apology and reach out to Peadar for what happened and why it happened I think it would ease the situation.

They probably won't though.
Correct, a statement saying something along the lines of them being in a difficult situation but apologising that Peadar felt he was ostracised and that they were going to take steps to ensure no repetition.

vallankumous

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 07, 2017, 12:15:03 PM

Correct, a statement saying something along the lines of them being in a difficult situation but apologising that Peadar felt he was ostracised and that they were going to take steps to ensure no repetition.

No, there should be no more statements. Another statement will be admission that the first one wasn't good enough. It'll also be used to say that they are only doing it due to the pressure from outside and they don't really believe it. 'if they believed that they would have said it years ago' etc. It will also only prolong things.
No statement will be good enough if Brolly does not want it to be. It's not possible to write a statement that will fix this.
Not only did Brolly force the first statement, his next article shows that he is the one that decides if any statement is good enough.

If the club wish they could contact Peadar and see about repairing the bridge. Bypass Brolly and the media. I see no other way of addressing this.

redhandefender

Quote from: vallankumous on November 07, 2017, 12:22:50 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 07, 2017, 12:15:03 PM

No, there should be no more statements. Another statement will be admission that the first one wasn't good enough. It'll also be used to say that they are only doing it due to the pressure from outside and they don't really believe it. 'if they believed that they would have said it years ago' etc. It will also only prolong things.
No statement will be good enough if Brolly does not want it to be. It's not possible to write a statement that will fix this.
Not only did Brolly force the first statement, his next article shows that he is the one that decides if any statement is good enough.

If the club wish they could contact Peadar and see about repairing the bridge. Bypass Brolly and the media. I see no other way of addressing this.

Totally agree, approach him in confidence and sort it out. No need to feed that nutjobs ego anymore, he'll have moved on to new prey soon enough.

JimStynes

Has there been any word from heffron? Surely he isn't happy about the publicity that this has created and I'm sure his family aren't happy with the bad press that Creggan have received.

Therealdonald

I see Francie Brolly in the paper today going against SF and Gerry Adams....you think he's just trying to take abit of heat off Joe?

Wildweasel74

Just cause his father supported Sinn Fein doesn't necessarily mean he does

randomusername

Quote from: Therealdonald on November 07, 2017, 07:41:15 PM
I see Francie Brolly in the paper today going against SF and Gerry Adams....you think he's just trying to take abit of heat off Joe?

Doubt it, he and Brolly's mum are pretty outspoken about being pro-life.

reddgnhand

Quote from: tothetop03 on November 05, 2017, 08:30:42 PM
I wonder can Joe interview the Mentioned PSNI GAA team trainer Mr Tucker and ask why he mentally tortured the family's of the young men who where shot dead in the Clonoe CHAPEL car park in 1992 one of them a playing member of my own club....

Tucker? Remember that name. Based in Dungannon he was totally detested. His name always cropped up.

charlieTully

Quote from: Therealdonald on November 07, 2017, 07:41:15 PM

hardly, he disagreed with an abortion stance and stated Gerry was entitled to his view on it. As the boul DT would say, fake news.

haranguerer

Quote from: JimStynes on November 07, 2017, 05:25:44 PM
Has there been any word from heffron? Surely he isn't happy about the publicity that this has created and I'm sure his family aren't happy with the bad press that Creggan have received.

It was him that said it!

tothetop03

Quote from: reddgnhand on November 08, 2017, 12:37:22 AM
Quote from: tothetop03 on November 05, 2017, 08:30:42 PM
I wonder can Joe interview the Mentioned PSNI GAA team trainer Mr Tucker and ask why he mentally tortured the family's of the young men who where shot dead in the Clonoe CHAPEL car park in 1992 one of them a playing member of my own club....

Tucker? Remember that name. Based in Dungannon he was totally detested. His name always cropped up.

He is part of the reason why the PSNI or their Gaa team will never be excepted in East Tyrone Clubs, along with the Legacy cases hanging over Families of murder victims some going back 40 years.....

vallankumous

Quote from: tothetop03 on November 08, 2017, 11:28:53 AM

He is part of the reason why the PSNI or their Gaa team will never be excepted in East Tyrone Clubs, along with the Legacy cases hanging over Families of murder victims some going back 40 years.....

I suppose something we can learn from all this is 'never' is often said too soon.

Rossfan

Quote from: vallankumous on November 08, 2017, 11:39:02 AM

I suppose something we can learn from all this is 'never' is often said too soon.
And the correct spelling of ACCEPTED.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

vallankumous

tothetop03

Quote from: vallankumous on November 08, 2017, 11:39:02 AM

Your prob right in the immediate future anyway.....