Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Hereiam on November 08, 2017, 01:36:16 PM
If more of our side were to join the PSNI/RUC do people really think it will change, i dont. Its the people at the top that call the shots and they will always come from the protestant community , i have no doubt the Catholics in the force would be used for unsavory jobs by their protestant superiors.
Christ Jesus you'll be calling SF SF/IRA next. The unbalance at the top in the PSNI will persist as long as catholics aren't encouraged to join and see comments such as this.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 08, 2017, 02:02:03 PM
If more of our side were to join the PSNI/RUC do people really think it will change, i dont. Its the people at the top that call the shots and they will always come from the protestant community , i have no doubt the Catholics in the force would be used for unsavory jobs by their protestant superiors.

They will only be at the top for so long. It will change, it has to but stop looking for changes right away or even in the short term, new recruits in the past 5/10 years are still learning their trade so to speak, the dinosaurs at the top need to retire but there is no experience there id imagine to fill it....

also the Cops are run by the government..

keep calling it the RUC and it wont attract the changes people in nationalist areas want, as the ordinary Joe from the Falls wont join! as someone mentioned above, there are a lot out there that would prefer things to be boiling over as it gives them an excuse to create tensions between the police... Hopefully you won't have to call on the PSNI/RUC for any issues as you'll not trust them
Milltown, I'm getting worried as you and I seem to be in agreement once again.

Kickham csc

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 08, 2017, 04:13:11 PM
Quote from: Rawhide on November 08, 2017, 01:07:27 PM
Disappointed by Brolly, I have no problem with the Hefferon side of the story, a sad story and in terms of going forward it needed to be heard,  but to have turned on Creggan like he did, was poor form. There is not a rural club in the six counties that would have been much different back in 2002. Agree that the best way to change the PSNI culture is to increase catholic recruits, so it can be improved from within, but have to confess if my lads suggested it!!!
Joe Brolly did not turn on Creggan, they compounded the mistakes of the past by an inadequate and belated response.
Disagree, he referred to the community being rotten to the core on the Friday before the response, which put the club in a no win situation, either forced to issue a statement to Joe's liking, or ridiculed for issuing a statement not to Joe's liking.

The issue was complex as I have stated, and Joe didn't provide any balance, because it didn't suit his style.

And he def made a bad situation that was recoverable 10 times worse.

As I've said before, his approach to Creggan is the same as asking Joe to apologise on behalf of the Brolly family for his fathers alleged involvement in the Claudy bombings. 

vallankumous

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 08, 2017, 04:16:17 PM

The unbalance at the top in the PSNI will persist as long as catholics aren't encouraged to join and see comments such as this.

I understand this and it is true to an extent but it is not without an opposing and valid argument.

Firstly, do we accept there is an imbalance and do we accept that as fundamental and true and therefore we must allow it?
Is a balanced police force something we should aim to achieve or demand as a right?

While there arguments for both in the current environment I am not sure which is right. If pushed I believe demanding it now a better option. It does take me to be pushed however, 10 or 15 years ago i would have pushed back.

Walter Cronc

When the PSNI was formed what were the options available in order to fully eradicate the horrendous failings of the RUC? Serious question here. Was it not near impossible to have at least some former RUC personnel to be involved?

Regarding the Ronan Kerr murder, can any of the Tyrone posters shed any light on how he was treated prior to the attack. Was he given the cold shoulder at Beragh??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: vallankumous on November 08, 2017, 02:45:48 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 08, 2017, 02:39:52 PM
And if its the case that they want to be a policeman or woman, (transgender, gay or whatever) what odds? As for the sweeping statement of you know they arent doing it for a better policing is wrong also, as you dont know this to be the case

I said, I'm convinced and i believe it's the case. I made the point that it is me as an individual that thinks this not that it is some common fact.

In that I was referring to the idea in the original article that Peadar was motivated by civic duty which has been widely referred to in the wider media. I do not believe this is the case in anyone joining the PSNI.

I don't know what you've said as you've change it, should have quoted it  ;)

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

I agree. The overall agenda with policing, media is pro-unionist and anti-nationalist. It's very easy to make up a fake dissident threat in order for the PSNI to move into catholic areas, and go to town. That will always be the case in this gerrymandered hellhole, 50:50 or not.

Milltown Row2

Now we have fake dissident threats!! You are properly blinded lad... Omagh was fake you'll be telling me next, you probably blame the media for that or the police! I know who you won't blame
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

vallankumous

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 08, 2017, 08:31:18 PM

I don't know what you've said as you've change it, should have quoted it  ;)

I changed it to include

QuoteI've seen it suggested here a few times without basis. Same trick Brolly used to attack Kickhams.

It had no bearing on your comment or my reply.

MoChara

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 09, 2017, 07:47:43 AM
Now we have fake dissident threats!! You are properly blinded lad... Omagh was fake you'll be telling me next, you probably blame the media for that or the police! I know who you won't blame

The Real IRA of the late 90's early 2000's were a totally different animal to the groups about now. Dissidents have been saying for over a decade about stepping up there armed campaign but its never really materialized to any maintained effort. I don't think it's conspiracy that mi5 and mi6 like to rack up the threat level every now and then to keep their funding ticking.

Il Bomber Destro

The Police have to take a share of the blame for Omagh for both letting it happen and the subsequent investigation which makes you ponder.

sid waddell

Quote from: Kickham csc on November 08, 2017, 04:36:54 PM

Disagree, he referred to the community being rotten to the core on the Friday before the response, which put the club in a no win situation, either forced to issue a statement to Joe's liking, or ridiculed for issuing a statement not to Joe's liking.

Where was this, Kickham?

Excellent posts from you on this thread by the way, providing some much needed context and nuance to the story.

Walter Cronc

In the Gaelic life article Brolly wrote:

"Creggans answer to the shocking indictment against them has been "no comment." It is a fine club and has done great work over the last 20 years, but there is something rotten to the core that they need to address now"

Don't think that specifically refers to the community Kickham but can see your point!

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 09, 2017, 09:03:47 AM

The Police have to take a share of the blame for Omagh for both letting it happen and the subsequent investigation which makes you ponder.

No one has responsibility or blame for the killing of 29 innocents in Omagh other than the IRA members who planned the attack, built the bomb, delivered it to Omagh, set the timer, failed to give correct details of the position of the bomb, helped all involved to escape and have given them support and kept them safe since 1998. 

According to your twisted analysis the fault for all similar atrocities by the IRA, for example in Enniskillen, La Mon House Hotel, Claudy, etc, belongs to the police. 

In the same way do you believe that the Garda has responsibility for the Dublin and Monaghan bombings?

Kickham csc

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 09, 2017, 10:14:25 AM
In the Gaelic life article Brolly wrote:

"Creggans answer to the shocking indictment against them has been "no comment." It is a fine club and has done great work over the last 20 years, but there is something rotten to the core that they need to address now"

Don't think that specifically refers to the community Kickham but can see your point!

The club is the centre of the community in Creggan.

God, has anybody on this site ever been to Creggan? It consists of two pubs, a primary school, with the club in the middle of them all.