Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Quote from: ThreeStones on November 02, 2017, 10:45:43 AM
Quote from: longballin on November 02, 2017, 10:12:13 AM
Quote from: FermGael on November 02, 2017, 09:09:19 AM
Seaney is an Irvinestown man. 
Like most successfull Trillick senior championship managers he is from Fermanagh.

2010 is quite a while ago.

What would senior clubs have spent on management in the last 5 years ? North of a million ?

Does Seaney not live in Trillick? Just asking, I dont know

Seaney lives in Trillick. Spent a few years coaching underage in Trillick before he became senior manager. Kids play for Trillick. Still a proud Fermanagh man though.

That counts as local club member taking them to the title imo

Onthe40

same with Lawrence Strain/Barry McGinn in 2014 with Omagh.  Barry is a true and true Omagh man and Lawrence lives and works in Omagh and has been coaching underage out there for years. (kids play for Omagh)

longballin

Quote from: Onthe40 on November 02, 2017, 12:55:57 PM
same with Lawrence Strain/Barry McGinn in 2014 with Omagh.  Barry is a true and true Omagh man and Lawrence lives and works in Omagh and has been coaching underage out there for years. (kids play for Omagh)

Absolutely... the mercenaries come in to line their pockets with no affinity to the club or locality.

Club boi

Quote from: Mikhailov on November 02, 2017, 10:25:31 AM
Quote from: The Trap on November 02, 2017, 09:57:06 AM
Brave enough move for Barton taking a club that has been yo yoing between 1 & 2 over the last few years. He would know a lot of them from his work in Dungannon and there is no doubting that they have a lot of talent. In many ways you could equate them to pomeroy and look at the impact they made this year.
Take Mc curry Morgan harry go conlon con kilpatrick conor Mallon Stephen her in for mc geary frank and Brendan burns Ryan Loughran John Loughran etc and they have had underage success at various grades including a grade one minor double.
While Barton may not have won a lot he has certainly made positive impacts at most if not all of the clubs he has been at. And the slaughtneil men have put on record that he laid the foundations for their current success before the great mickey Moran took over.

You are correct on few points here I agree - brave move by Barton but he gives me the impression that he likes a challenge and won't be found wanting in terms of effort or application to the job. As you say he has done great work wherever he went without much success and certainly Ballinderry players have great time for him as do the Slaughtneil lads who both said he put in serious work that ultimately led to their success. He was with Donaghmore many years ago when they were certainly more than a decent outfit but again no success either. Cannot comment on what his other clubs think of him but he certainly has got about - Burren, Kilrea, Loup to name a few...him and Brian McGuckian against each other along the side line this year will be interesting!!

Why exactly?? Cause they both were with Derry last year or did something happen between them??

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Club boi on November 02, 2017, 03:34:46 PM
Brave enough move for Barton taking a club that has been yo yoing between 1 & 2 over the last few years. He would know a lot of them from his work in Dungannon and there is no doubting that they have a lot of talent. In many ways you could equate them to pomeroy and look at the impact they made this year.
Take Mc curry Morgan harry go conlon con kilpatrick conor Mallon Stephen her in for mc geary frank and Brendan burns Ryan Loughran John Loughran etc and they have had underage success at various grades including a grade one minor double.
While Barton may not have won a lot he has certainly made positive impacts at most if not all of the clubs he has been at. And the slaughtneil men have put on record that he laid the foundations for their current success before the great mickey Moran took over.

You are correct on few points here I agree - brave move by Barton but he gives me the impression that he likes a challenge and won't be found wanting in terms of effort or application to the job. As you say he has done great work wherever he went without much success and certainly Ballinderry players have great time for him as do the Slaughtneil lads who both said he put in serious work that ultimately led to their success. He was with Donaghmore many years ago when they were certainly more than a decent outfit but again no success either. Cannot comment on what his other clubs think of him but he certainly has got about - Burren, Kilrea, Loup to name a few...him and Brian McGuckian against each other along the side line this year will be interesting!!

Why exactly?? Cause they both were with Derry last year or did something happen between them??

It will be surely strange for McGuckin being an Edendork man not only going against his home club but then taking on his mentor/colleague in Barton into the mix.  Audi Kelly will be another Edendork manager in the division next year trying to topple Barton.
Living the dream!!!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on November 02, 2017, 04:29:56 PM
Quote from: Club boi on November 02, 2017, 03:34:46 PM

It will be surely strange for McGuckin being an Edendork man not only going against his home club but then taking on his mentor/colleague in Barton into the mix.  Audi Kelly will be another Edendork manager in the division next year trying to topple Barton.

There's a fiesty championship draw somewhere waiting to happen there.

The Bearded One

Do you not think it was Brian McGuckin who paved the way for the Barton/Edendork link?
It is what it is. Presumably.

Dire Ear

It's too bad that Tyrone clubs have to go to Derry to get managers. 

rrhf

You will find Barton will do well at edendork.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: rrhf on November 02, 2017, 04:53:21 PM

Suspect he'll do quite well there myself. As with everything, timing is key. Edendork are quite a young team, are they ready to move up from bottom half of division 1, relatively comfortable existence to become challengers? They have to be looking at Pomeroy and even to a certain extent Trillick and if there's any ambition, to move it on.

As stated earlier, Barton's done a good job at raising a teams standards just before they hit a run of success - that's not an insult, Gilroy done great work with Dublin just before Gavin came in. Obviously a fairly wide comparison but you get the idea.

Walter Cronc

Some praise for Barton. What had he ever won??

tothetop03

Brian McGuigans article in the paper a few weeks ago sums up why men from within their own club do not take the job on....not worth one bit of the hassle.....

Man Marker

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 02, 2017, 05:07:53 PM
Quote from: rrhf on November 02, 2017, 04:53:21 PM

Suspect he'll do quite well there myself. As with everything, timing is key. Edendork are quite a young team, are they ready to move up from bottom half of division 1, relatively comfortable existence to become challengers? They have to be looking at Pomeroy and even to a certain extent Trillick and if there's any ambition, to move it on.

As stated earlier, Barton's done a good job at raising a teams standards just before they hit a run of success - that's not an insult, Gilroy done great work with Dublin just before Gavin came in. Obviously a fairly wide comparison but you get the idea.

No I don't get the idea, Gilroy won their first All Ireland since 1995, unlike Barton. U understand how I don't see any comparison at all

wee scully

Quote from: tothetop03 on November 02, 2017, 05:38:16 PM
Brian McGuigans article in the paper a few weeks ago sums up why men from within their own club do not take the job on....not worth one bit of the hassle.....

Correct me if I'm wrong but had Ardboe not got two real good clubmen at the helm before the dort was done on them as per instruction by the well organised AGM

Therealdonald

Quote from: wee scully on November 02, 2017, 08:10:38 PM
Quote from: tothetop03 on November 02, 2017, 05:38:16 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but had Ardboe not got two real good clubmen at the helm before the dort was done on them as per instruction by the well organised AGM

I think there is an element of truth that there were two clubmen involved but I think there was another paid man involved?