Tyson Fury - Can he be one of the great Irish boxers.

Started by rrhf, September 28, 2011, 02:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Reading up about this boy he seems to be going places.  Is he really Irish or the greatest want to be Irish sportsman since Tony Cascarino?  Wants to box in Croker and wear the Antrim jersey in Croke Park, better be prepared for a bating then!!).  The only Furys I knew played with Davey Arthur and played in centre of Croke Park in 1991 from memory - so there is a precedent.  Irish or no?

nrico2006

Think it will be interesting to see what the British press make of him if he wins a major belt.  They are Irish Travellers at every reference, wonder how he will be addressed if he is a Champion.  Personally, good fighter for a big man but has a glass jaw.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

stew

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 28, 2011, 03:11:27 PM
Think it will be interesting to see what the British press make of him if he wins a major belt.  They are Irish Travellers at every reference, wonder how he will be addressed if he is a Champion.  Personally, good fighter for a big man but has a glass jaw.

He is fecked then, you cant win major titles with a glass jaw.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Muzz

He was born in England - Manchester I think.  He is suppose to have Irish Travellers for parents.

I dont know about the glass jaw and where you are getting that from.  He took some good punches from Chisora early rounds but still worked on in the fight and won it comfortably in the end.

Boycey

screenexile

lawnseed

A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

CiKe

i'd disagree about the glass jaw. As a heavyweight virtually anyone near the top of the field has the technique and power to put probably 80% of their opponents on the seat of their pants if they land correctly. Fury has been guilty of being hit far too easily and has been hurt but has not yet gone down. If he had been in with a lethal finisher like Klitschko he would have an early KO on his resume but he is only 23 and shouldn't be hurried along. Encouragingly in his last fight he showed a bit more dynamite in his fists.

In summary I would say it is early days and if he contiues to improve, particularly his defense, he can be a decent 2nd tier heavyweight, but he aint gonna beat the Klitschko's and I see guys like Haye and Adamek making him look foolish as well at this point in time. He can be better then the Clones Colossus however!

ExcellentDriver

No doubt Hello Magazine will salavate at the thought of him Marrying! ;)
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

Dunsilly King

Quote from: CiKe on September 28, 2011, 09:14:40 PMi'd disagree about the glass jaw. As a heavyweight virtually anyone near the top of the field has the technique and power to put probably 80% of their opponents on the seat of their pants if they land correctly. Fury has been guilty of being hit far too easily and has been hurt but has not yet gone down. If he had been in with a lethal finisher like Klitschko he would have an early KO on his resume but he is only 23 and shouldn't be hurried along. Encouragingly in his last fight he showed a bit more dynamite in his fists.

In summary I would say it is early days and if he contiues to improve, particularly his defense, he can be a decent 2nd tier heavyweight, but he aint gonna beat the Klitschko's and I see guys like Haye and Adamek making him look foolish as well at this point in time. He can be better then the Clones Colossus however!

This aged well  ;D

JoG2

Parker beating Wilder handily and AJ beating the guy who took Fury the distance and gave his face a rough night, bar beating a 40 year old Klitschko, Fury's CV is poor enough. Nowhere near an all timer

JPGJOHNNYG

Interesting to read some of the quotes from 13 yrs ago. Regarding his irishness he doesn't seem to be embracing it much these days now he has gone mainstream. I like Tyson ,it's interesting how he is so popular now yet around the time he beat Klitschko he was still seen as a bit of an embarrassment. I remember loads of athletes trying to get him cancelled for his religious and homophobic ramblings.

From the Bunker

Read somewhere that Fury is actually Furey (as in The Furey Brothers). Makes more sense as to the Irish Connection.