Started by lurganblue, August 28, 2018, 03:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quote from: ziggy90 on March 11, 2019, 10:10:21 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on March 11, 2019, 09:19:27 AM
Quote from: ziggy90 on March 10, 2019, 01:53:48 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 10, 2019, 01:30:50 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on March 10, 2019, 12:56:06 PM
In my over fifty years of watching Birmingham I can't ever remember a player being attacked on the pitch, (I do remember a referee getting a belt however) where else has this happened?
Disgusting, cowardly act.

d**kheads follow every club. I can't understand the applause though.
To be fair Birmingham have more than their fair share of d##kheads.

My daughter was telling me that there was chaos in Birmingham city centre yesterday - perhaps it was to coincide with the match, but there was a far-right 'protest' about something around mid-day, as well as a counter-protest by someone else.  She reckons that the two protests 'met' close to the grounds.  Anyhoo, there were cops in abundance around until round 6 o'clock last night.
I haven't heard anything about that Boots but staying that I went to a local pub after the game where there was probably a 50/50 mix of fans of both clubs and except for the usual "slagging" there wasn't even a hint of trouble.
Birmingham is a very "moody" place to live right now (according to some people who'd know better than me what's going on around the city centre), there's a very toxic mix of disadvantaged Black, White and Asian youths who just have no respect for anyone or anything.
It's definitely not the same place I was brought up in.

I spent a weekend in Birmingham recently, and while I acknowledge that it's hardly enough time to form a rounded opinion, I found it to be extremely hospitable/friendly.  I was very impressed, to be honest, not having visited in nearly 20 years.  A much more pleasant place to visit than London, Manchester or Liverpool, in my view. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ziggy90

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 11, 2019, 12:30:25 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on March 11, 2019, 10:10:21 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on March 11, 2019, 09:19:27 AM
Quote from: ziggy90 on March 10, 2019, 01:53:48 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 10, 2019, 01:30:50 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on March 10, 2019, 12:56:06 PM
In my over fifty years of watching Birmingham I can't ever remember a player being attacked on the pitch, (I do remember a referee getting a belt however) where else has this happened?
Disgusting, cowardly act.

d**kheads follow every club. I can't understand the applause though.
To be fair Birmingham have more than their fair share of d##kheads.

My daughter was telling me that there was chaos in Birmingham city centre yesterday - perhaps it was to coincide with the match, but there was a far-right 'protest' about something around mid-day, as well as a counter-protest by someone else.  She reckons that the two protests 'met' close to the grounds.  Anyhoo, there were cops in abundance around until round 6 o'clock last night.
I haven't heard anything about that Boots but staying that I went to a local pub after the game where there was probably a 50/50 mix of fans of both clubs and except for the usual "slagging" there wasn't even a hint of trouble.
Birmingham is a very "moody" place to live right now (according to some people who'd know better than me what's going on around the city centre), there's a very toxic mix of disadvantaged Black, White and Asian youths who just have no respect for anyone or anything.
It's definitely not the same place I was brought up in.

I spent a weekend in Birmingham recently, and while I acknowledge that it's hardly enough time to form a rounded opinion, I found it to be extremely hospitable/friendly.  I was very impressed, to be honest, not having visited in nearly 20 years.  A much more pleasant place to visit than London, Manchester or Liverpool, in my view.
Whereabouts were you?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Billys Boots

I was upstairs in The Old Crown in Digbeth, ziggy. 

ziggy90

Ah the good Old Crown of The Wolfe Tones fame? It would've been lively in there yesterday?
I hope you weren't drinking any of that Amstel beer they serve in there, tastes like it was brewed in 1368. :)
In fairness you were in as good a spot as any to appreciate the (very) wide range of cultures in Birmingham.
Did you go anywhere else?

Billys Boots

Quote from: ziggy90 on March 11, 2019, 01:44:08 PM
Ah the good Old Crown of The Wolfe Tones fame? It would've been lively in there yesterday?
I hope you weren't drinking any of that Amstel beer they serve in there, tastes like it was brewed in 1368. :)
In fairness you were in as good a spot as any to appreciate the (very) wide range of cultures in Birmingham.
Did you go anywhere else?

Ah yeah, got a brilliant curry in Manzil's, ate out in the Digbeth Dining Club, and had a few pints in one of the pubs on the canal behind the conference centre.  Watched 'Green Book' in a very old style cinema (The Electric), and wandered around generally.  I liked The Old Crown - good atmosphere in it, and a decent range of beers. 

ziggy90

The Manzil, every Irishman's first taste of a "proper" curry.  ;)
I've never eaten in the DDC but I've heard great reports of it. The Electric Cinema would be known in my day as an "alternative" venue. There's some nice places to wander about around the back of the NIA alright.
The Crown does have a good atmosphere but I hope you wandered a bit further up the road and went into the Big Bull and/or The Kerryman for a real Birmingham Saturday night out (not).
Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Dire Ear

A Birmingham City fan has been jailed for 14 weeks for attacking Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish during the second city derby.

Paul Mitchell, of c**k Hill Lane, Rubery, Worcestershire, hit Grealish from behind on the pitch about 10 minutes into Sunday's game

TabClear

Quote from: Dire Ear on March 11, 2019, 03:43:42 PM
A Birmingham City fan has been jailed for 14 weeks for attacking Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish during the second city derby.

Paul Mitchell, of c**k Hill Lane, Rubery, Worcestershire, hit Grealish from behind on the pitch about 10 minutes into Sunday's game

Cowardly **** should have got ten times that. Hopefully he's sharing a cell with "The Kitten"

macdanger2

Quote from: TabClear on March 11, 2019, 04:03:12 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on March 11, 2019, 03:43:42 PM

Cowardly **** should have got ten times that. Hopefully he's sharing a cell with "The Kitten"

I appreciate that he's surely a sc**bag and what he did was fairly unprecedented but essentially it was a fairly minor assault - say he'd been in a chipper or a pub and clocked someone behind the counter, would he have gotten jail time? The level of outrage about it seems excessive to me

ziggy90

Here's as honest a synopsis (from a Birmingham fan's point of view)of the Grealish incident that I've read.
https://www.wearebirmingham.co.uk/post-punch-pr/

lurganblue

"I actually laughed. I regret it now, but in the moment the thought that someone had run on and taken a swing at the most detestable man on the pitch was humorous to me.

We hate Grealish and in that moment the incident added to the drama of the day.

Though I do not condone the event for a single second, I still hate Grealish with a burning passion "

Harsh i would say. I understand football rivaries of course but for me this goes further.

ziggy90

As I said above: I just can't explain this  hatred for Grealish but I do know one thing, it's only going to get worse. I think a move away from Villa is inevitable as the lad will just be tortured if he stays around Birmingham.

lurganblue

He is 100% gone in the summer anyway if Villa dont go up, which is looking very likely.  He will go with a pat on the back from everyone at the club i'd say.

shark

Quote from: lurganblue on March 12, 2019, 10:14:09 AM
He is 100% gone in the summer anyway if Villa dont go up, which is looking very likely.  He will go with a pat on the back from everyone at the club i'd say.

100% will be gone if Villa don't go up. So >95% chance he will be gone. He's too good to be in the Championship and is 23 now so needs to be moving up. Plus, Villa will need the cash as parachute payments disappear after this season. Him leaving might mean being able to hold on to McGinn, hopefully.
Nobody at Villa will begrudge him.

Billys Boots

What is the 'problem' with Grealish in Birmingham?