Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 22, 2011, 09:58:48 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 22, 2011, 07:42:08 PM
The bit in bold I don't understand, it's not a big deal whether or not your child gets a degree. Your statement is a prime example of exactly what's wrong with the education system.

So you don't think it's a big deal if you get a degree or not in today's world?

If that's what someone wants then fair play to them but I don't think it's vital that you have one to succeed in life.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

FermGael

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 22, 2011, 09:41:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 22, 2011, 09:10:24 PM
Some craic here. Is it just the holidays that piss people off about teachers?

I think they should get more time off so they can de-stress, come back more refreshed for the new term.

More money would be a good idea also, because with all the extra time off I'll be able to go skiing and get a better car and add on that extension to my sun room
The holidays aren't the problem, especially not in my gaff as it means no childcare payments over the summer. Like Pints says the problem is people get sick listening to them moaning about their hard lot. They get paid 30-40 grand a year and get about 12 weeks holidays. They're not exactly working down a mine or pulling back to back shifts in hospital. If they hate the life so much they can always jack it in. In England I think they have 10% of their time ringfenced for preparation time! What the f**k were they doing all summer?!

Do not worry about that Tony.
we are taking Union action to try and bring that sort of inequality between the UK and NI to an end.
We will persevere....
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Gaffer

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 22, 2011, 09:41:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 22, 2011, 09:10:24 PM
Some craic here. Is it just the holidays that piss people off about teachers?

I think they should get more time off so they can de-stress, come back more refreshed for the new term.

More money would be a good idea also, because with all the extra time off I'll be able to go skiing and get a better car and add on that extension to my sun room
The holidays aren't the problem, especially not in my gaff as it means no childcare payments over the summer. Like Pints says the problem is people get sick listening to them moaning about their hard lot. They get paid 30-40 grand a year and get about 12 weeks holidays. They're not exactly working down a mine or pulling back to back shifts in hospital. If they hate the life so much they can always jack it in. In England I think they have 10% of their time ringfenced for preparation time! What the f**k were they doing all summer?!

On holidays of course.  maybe you expect them to work during their holidays, do you?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

ONeill

If we're being honest, anyone without a degree to their name is only half a person, a chav. I would never marry a degreeless woman. It'd be like courting a piece of wood.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 22, 2011, 09:58:48 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 22, 2011, 07:42:08 PM
The bit in bold I don't understand, it's not a big deal whether or not your child gets a degree. Your statement is a prime example of exactly what's wrong with the education system.

So you don't think it's a big deal if you get a degree or not in today's world?
No, why would it?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 22, 2011, 10:41:50 PM
No, why would it?

Because if you want to work in certain fields then you need a degree, and it's becoming a more common requirement than it used to be. Our company doesn't hire anyone without a degree and I certainly wouldn't want to work with someone that doesn't have one.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 22, 2011, 11:02:00 PM
No, why would it?

Because if you want to work in certain fields then you need a degree, and it's becoming a more common requirement than it used to be. Our company doesn't hire anyone without a degree and I certainly wouldn't want to work with someone that doesn't have one.
Well obviously if it's a requirement for what you want to do but then if it isn't, and there are equally good jobs where degrees are not needed, it doesnt matter, does it. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

tyssam5

Quote from: Take Your Points on February 22, 2011, 11:17:14 PM
No, why would it?

Given that you are in the US, a degree is a bit like an AS level in N.Ireland. 

In fact, we have people over here who bought their degrees from the Bob Jones University in the US.

They've been known to give out a few doctorates as well.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Take Your Points on February 22, 2011, 11:17:14 PM
No, why would it?

Given that you are in the US, a degree is a bit like an AS level in N.Ireland. 

In fact, we have people over here who bought their degrees from the Bob Jones University in the US.
Speak for yourself. I got my degree in England.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 22, 2011, 11:09:19 PM
Well obviously if it's a requirement for what you want to do but then if it isn't, and there are equally good jobs where degrees are not needed, it doesnt matter, does it.

Jobs that require degrees usually pay better than ones that don't.

quit yo jibbajabba

jesus, these degrees really are the be all and end all all of a sudden;
if you dont have one certain people would hardly talk to you, much less want to work with you..

its a mad mad mad mad world. mad

tyrone girl

No, why would it?

That comment makes u sound like a p***k. I have a degree so am i qualified enough to tell u that  ::) ::) ::)

Cold tea

No, why would it?

I would rather work with someone with experience over a degree, you sound as though you put a degree down as some sort of social status.

quit yo jibbajabba

tyrone girl; thats what i was tryin to say; you did it far far better ;D

thebigfella

So what have we learned here?

IMO opinion they do have it f**king easy; some of my closest mates are teachers and openly admit it, even when they are bitching about the little cnuts and their bigger cnuts of parents.

thebigfella BSc, MSc, PhD  ;D