Author Topic: Teachers get it handy!  (Read 98294 times)

Avondhu star

• View Profile
Re: Teachers get it handy!
« Reply #1395 on: April 08, 2017, 08:43:08 AM »
12:00 today, out the gap...

For 2 weeks...
Except for those doing the annual school trip (cheap wine trip) to France.
"Plenty room on the coach for a few more cases of Bordeaux Bridget"!
Los trabadjores unido jamas sera vencido

Owen Brannigan

• Aka TYP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: April 28, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »
Well teachers, this is what Cavanagh thinks about teaching as a career.  It is being stated by an accountant.  I wonder what his team mates think about this given how many are either teachers, trainee teachers or going into schools as full time paid coaches.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/its-something-that-frightens-me-sean-cavanagh-says-players-will-regret-sacrificing-careers-for-gaa-35661795.html

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: April 28, 2017, 10:01:50 AM »
Teaching is a handy number shocker. Hardly news.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: April 28, 2017, 01:00:11 PM »

I take it your wife isnt reading that post?  ;D

Our club is full of teachers, cant remember a team that didnt have at least 2/3 teachers on each senior team, I'd imagine most clubs are like that but they dont do it because they play GAA....

A teacher can earn a hell of a lot more money if they left and got another job (non teaching)

But its the perks of summer hols, ability to be off when the kids are off, no real child care required once they are in primary school, a better pension than most and if you're half decent at your job its a job for life..... promotions within if you like a heavey workload and free ski trips  ;) Yes private sector jobs pay better, but a lot more uncertainity...
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: April 28, 2017, 01:25:33 PM »
He says it is a worrying trend. I don't know why he'd be worried about it. If they decided to not work and deal drugs to have flexible hours then he'd have something to worry about.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: April 28, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »
I think its the lack of talent going into the private sector rather than what he thinks wasting their time and skills on teaching!
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: April 28, 2017, 01:55:15 PM »
I think its the lack of talent going into the private sector rather than what he thinks wasting their time and skills on teaching!
I've yet to meet a teacher that is a loss to the private sector  ;D  I hope my missus isn't a secret lurker on this board. Maybe she's The Stallion.

Farrandeelin

• Hey buckaroo! How are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: April 28, 2017, 04:31:54 PM »
I've yet to meet a teacher that is a loss to the private sector  ;D  I hope my missus isn't a secret lurker on this board. Maybe she's The Stallion.
Hope she's not a (night)mare anyway.
The woman in red has the car parked on the slope.

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: April 28, 2017, 09:02:48 PM »

Our club is full of teachers, cant remember a team that didnt have at least 2/3 teachers on each senior team, I'd imagine most clubs are like that but they dont do it because they play GAA....

A teacher can earn a hell of a lot more money if they left and got another job (non teaching)

But its the perks of summer hols, ability to be off when the kids are off, no real child care required once they are in primary school, a better pension than most and if you're half decent at your job its a job for life..... promotions within if you like a heavey workload and free ski trips  ;) Yes private sector jobs pay better, but a lot more uncertainity...

What non teaching job could they get?

mrdeeds

• View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: April 28, 2017, 09:15:07 PM »
Accountancy, scientific, recruitment, IT, carpentry etc... Depends on degree and level of experience.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: April 28, 2017, 09:20:40 PM »

Wife started out as tax consultant went to teaching... degree in math

laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: April 28, 2017, 09:45:35 PM »
You could be a travel blogger... You certainly like everyone on facebook to know you were in Vegas last week!!

ONeill

• Shoving Connie Around The Room
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: April 28, 2017, 09:46:43 PM »
I would have agreed with Sean 10 years ago.

Maybe the stats prove he's correct but today I see more women, less GAA male county players.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: April 28, 2017, 09:54:31 PM »
What's the percentage of teachers that did the three years teacher training like st Mary's to ones that did a degree and year teacher training?

Owen Brannigan

• Aka TYP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: April 28, 2017, 10:19:19 PM »
I would have agreed with Sean 10 years ago.

Maybe the stats prove he's correct but today I see more women, less GAA male county players.

That's because they are all becoming primary school teachers, that all St Mary's and Stranmillis are turning out these days.  The PGCE courses require 2:1 and first class degrees which more men than women are achieving so the profession is now about 70% female and rising.  The number of men in St Mary's is quite small but enough GAA players to win the Sigerson.