The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Very very very light slap on the wrist for Conor

QuoteConor McGregor's UFC 223 courtroom battle has come to an end.

The former featherweight and lightweight UFC champion agreed to a plea deal at a hearing at Kings County Courthouse in Brooklyn, New York on Thursday which saw all felony counts against the popular fighter dismissed. Per the terms of the plea deal, McGregor pled guilty to one count of disorderly conduct and will be forced to undergo five days of community service, 1-3 days of an anger management evaluation, and will be required to pay restitution for the damage he inflicted on a UFC fighter bus during UFC 223 fight week. Three orders of protections were also served against McGregor, including two by UFC fighters Ray Borg and Michael Chiesa. McGregor will not be permitted near them until July 2020.

McGregor's agreement to the plea deal will not affect McGregor's travel visa, and means "The Notorious" will receive no jail time and will not have a criminal record.

McGregor, 30, incited a melee on April 5 when he and his entourage stormed into Brooklyn's Barclays Center in a wild scene following UFC 223's media day and attacked the UFC fighter bus carrying lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov. The incident culminated in an infamous sequence that saw McGregor hurl a dolly through a bus window, which ultimately left several fighters shaken up and forced UFC contenders Chiesa and Borg to withdraw from their respective UFC 223 fights as a result of injuries suffered from the broken glass. Chiesa recently told ESPN that "the wheels are in motion" for him to take legal action against McGregor.

McGregor's teammate Artem Lobov was also involved in the melee and was subsequently pulled from his UFC 223 scheduled bout against Alex Caceres.

McGregor and teammate Cian Cowley turned themselves into the New York Police Department on the night of the incident and were released on $50,000 and $25,000 bond, respectively. McGregor faced a potential 12 criminal charges for his role in the melee. Both men informed the court in a June 14 hearing that they planned to negotiate a plea deal.

Cowley also pled guilty to one count of disorderly conduct on Thursday.

With McGregor's legal issues now resolved, the road toward a UFC return appears clear. UFC president Dana White has repeatedly stated over recent months that the promotion would not move forward with its former two-division champion hanging in legal limbo. With that out of the way, a blockbuster title matchup against Nurmagomedov could very well be the next step, potentially on Nov. 3 at UFC 230 at New York's Madison Square Garden, or on Dec. 29 for the promotion's year-end Las Vegas show, UFC 232. A Nurmagomedov vs. McGregor matchup would likely be one of the highest-selling MMA fights of all-time.

McGregor (21-3) has not competed in MMA since defeating Eddie Alvarez via second-round TKO at UFC 205 in Nov. 2016 to become the first-ever UFC champion to simultaneously hold titles in two different divisions. Altogether, the Irishman holds a 9-1 Octagon record and carries a slew of notable victories over the likes of Jose Aldo, Max Holloway, Nate Diaz, Dustin Poirier, and Chad Mendes, among others.

Gabriel_Hurl

gallsman

Gonna be absolutely unreal until Khabib pulls out with weight cut difficulties three days in advance.

gawa316

That was a great fight between Mighty Mouse and Cejudo

gallsman

Quote from: gawa316 on August 05, 2018, 05:25:12 AM
That was a great fight between Mighty Mouse and Cejudo

It was close but don't see how Cejudo won three rounds there. Takedowns and top control without converting that control into damage doesn't outscore striking superiority.

TJ will be delighted with getting out of that one again. Two fights in a row where Garbrandt has let his emotion get the better of him and abandoned the discipline and poise he showed in the Cruz fight and the first round of the first Dillashaw fight. Dillashaw is great but Garbrandt is a faster, more technical boxer than him and has now been knocked out twice, definitively ending the rivalry.

The Gs Man

Yeah, I though Mighty Mouse had it in the bag 3 to 2.  Great fight all the same!
Keep 'er lit

The Iceman

very rarely if ever would you see a challenger winning a close contest.  It takes a monumental effort to dethrone a champ when it goes to the scorecards.
I would agree with some theories out there that the UFC didn't want DJ to be champ.  With the rise of Combate Americas (latin fight league) the UFC needs to market a Latin champion now that Velasquez is on the shelf and Cejudo fits that bill perfectly.

Agree that Cody's recklessness cost him the fight.  He should beat TJ but thinks he can bite down on the gum shield and trade. Doesn't work with someone with TJ's power and Cody's now suspect chin?

UFC were very foolish pushing the CMG Khabib fight at the press conference.  They should have been promoting the fighters in attendance - especially Poirier Diaz at MSG - that could be a decent card for them if they gave it a push....

Khabib isn't indestructible like we once predicted.... he is susceptible to being hit - the question is can Conor hit him and can Khabib take it? Khabib is relentless and his wrestling is unlike anything CMG has ever grappled with (pardon the pun). If Khabib can eat the left hand and keep going then it will be a long and rough 5 rounds for Conor.  But thats what we're willing to pay to find out...

I'd say there will be antics between both teams that might derail this one before they make it to the cage...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Gs Man

Just caught up with the Prelims last night and really enjoyed the Sayles Vs Moraes fight.

Sayles had a pretty good debut.  Loved his fighting style and how he rolled every punch and kick.  Still took a few digs, but he has a good engine.  Looking forward to see him fighting again. 

As for DJ, people just don't seem to like him for some reason.  Can't put my finger on it.  He's a class fighter and if he doesn't get the rematch there's something wrong.
Keep 'er lit

gallsman

James Gallagher, the poor little pale imitation of McGregor from Strabane, got badly knocked out in the first round in Bellator last night.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/17/17736352/video-ricky-bandejas-knocks-james-gallagher-out-cold-at-bellator-204

gawa316

Till well beaten by Woodley tonight...nothing in 1st round,  woodley connects early in 2nd and beats him up on the floor for most of the round and then submits him.not sure if Till actually landed a hand on woodley the whole fight

The Gs Man

That was a great night of fights!

Really enjoyed the whole show.  Some big knock-outs and great finishes.

That fight came too soon for Till.  And him looking to move up in weight as well? 
Keep 'er lit

screenexile

Watched some clips of the presser... McGregor is off his nut isn't he??

MoChara

Quote from: screenexile on September 20, 2018, 11:44:13 PM

I think without the crowd there ooh-ing and ahh-ing his every word you really see he's just a p***k trying to be outlandish.

From that conference my moneys on Khabib, McGregor looks off the pace and a bit worn out.

gallsman

It was cringe worthy stuff from beginning to end.

NAG1

Quote from: MoChara on September 21, 2018, 09:20:04 AM
Quote from: screenexile on September 20, 2018, 11:44:13 PM

I think without the crowd there ooh-ing and ahh-ing his every word you really see he's just a p***k trying to be outlandish.

From that conference my moneys on Khabib, McGregor looks off the pace and a bit worn out.

Wonder why that would be            :o