American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: stew on September 03, 2017, 12:11:02 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 01, 2017, 08:57:16 AM
Quote from: stew on August 30, 2017, 10:35:01 PM
Quote from: Oraisteach on August 30, 2017, 07:36:42 PM
Browns seem determined to finish last in NFL after cutting CB Joe Haden.  To make matters worse, Steelers appear to be the most eager to sign him.

Of course that clown GM for the Packers wont look at him because he would be a hit to the cap, TT it useless, the worst GM in Football! Bottom five anyhow.

With such a bad GM and Head Coach it's simply amazing the Packers win any games at all.  ::)

Ever heard of Aaron Rodgers?

If you think Thompson is a good GM you know damn all about American football, he is below average at best.

As for the head coach, he is too conservative when it matters, predictable and he, like Thompson hurts the packers.

Stew - I don't know enough to be strong one way or another but I would have thought the Packers were regarded as one of the better run outfits. Rodgers is of course amazing and I think McCarthy is vastly overrated by many as a coach alright but I would have heard the Packers are smart in free agency, keep their own talent and build through the draft. Is that not the case?

Some comeback by UCLA last night I hear.

AZOffaly

College football is great.  My IPTV service streams NBC as well, so I got to see Notre Dame and Temple. Notre Dame have the potential to be a #10-#15 ranked team, big game v Georgia in South Bend next week. Alabama are a machine. Florida State's QB is done for the year with a Patella tendon injury that requires surgery, so that's a sickener for him and them. Their defence looked very good v 'Bama, but Alabama just did Alabama. Wore them down offensively, and punished mistakes.

The Big 10 had a big week 1, with Michigan beating Florida, albeit a load of suspensions for Florida helped, MAryland beating Texas in Texas. The SEC was so-so apart from Alabama, but the Eastern Division of the SEC could be very competitive. Tennessee play tonight against Georgia Tech. A&M lost, as Seanie said, to a fantastic comeback by UCLA and Josh Rosen, who might be on our draft boards next autumn if he comes out this year (He's a junior). Sam Darnold wasn't as impressive for USC as they scraped by Western Michigan, despite the scoreline looking fairly comfortable.

NExt weekend will be great. Auburn play Clemson at Death Valley, Oklahoma goes to the horseshoe to play Ohio State, Georgia in South Bend against Notre Dame and Stanford go to LA to play USC.

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 04, 2017, 08:40:53 AM
Quote from: stew on September 03, 2017, 12:11:02 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 01, 2017, 08:57:16 AM
Quote from: stew on August 30, 2017, 10:35:01 PM
Quote from: Oraisteach on August 30, 2017, 07:36:42 PM
Browns seem determined to finish last in NFL after cutting CB Joe Haden.  To make matters worse, Steelers appear to be the most eager to sign him.

Of course that clown GM for the Packers wont look at him because he would be a hit to the cap, TT it useless, the worst GM in Football! Bottom five anyhow.

With such a bad GM and Head Coach it's simply amazing the Packers win any games at all.  ::)

Ever heard of Aaron Rodgers?

If you think Thompson is a good GM you know damn all about American football, he is below average at best.

As for the head coach, he is too conservative when it matters, predictable and he, like Thompson hurts the packers.

Stew - I don't know enough to be strong one way or another but I would have thought the Packers were regarded as one of the better run outfits. Rodgers is of course amazing and I think McCarthy is vastly overrated by many as a coach alright but I would have heard the Packers are smart in free agency, keep their own talent and build through the draft. Is that not the case?

Some comeback by UCLA last night I hear.

The pack are unique in that they have no owner, rather, they are owned by the City Of Green Bay and have shareholders, I myself am one of those, the people own the Green Bay Packers and Thompson has has two of the best QB's ever to play the game and they have won two superbowls in the Favre/Rodgers era, that is a pitiful return.

Thompson never is able to pull the trigger on big name free agents, he refuses to pull the pin on players that put them over the top, Rodgers is getting up there and TT is doing very little to get Rodgers and the team the couple of top players out there to get the job done.

Here is the biggest factor in my distaste for Thompson, the Packers are also a non profit organization yet they show an end of year balance with millions in the plus column, they are buying up property all over the Lombardi Street area as well as land in Ashwaubenon but they cant sign free agents that will give tem a tremendous opportunity to win the ultimate prize in their sport!

The City is home to 105,000 residents, 75,000 go to the games, these people need parking spaces, currently they use what they can within the confines of the stadium, that is nowhere near enough, the rest believe it or not park on peoples lawns, the people closest to the stadium get $25.00 per car to park right down to $5.00 for the farthest away, it is a cottage industry some people rely on 13 or so times a year plus the odd concert or two, the Packers great plan? Destroy homes and replace them with parking spaces so they can jack up the revenue stream even though they are anon profit, in short Thompson is sacrificing titles for money, no wonder Favre hates the man to this day!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

What's the PAck Salary Cap figures Stew? Have the room to manouvre, or is keeping Rodgers costing them a real chance at signing free agents? Or are they blowing money on other free agents that are crap?

It's all fine and dandy to say they are running a profit and buying land, but unless they have cap room, they can have all the money they like, it wouldn't make a difference.

I do agree that 2 superbowls since the Bart Starr era is poor for Green Bay, given their position of dominance in that division, which means they are in the playoffs every year, and given the talent they've had at QB.

Minder

Stew - Thompson is the GM of the football operations, Mark Murphy would be the man making decisions on revenue streams etc
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

gawa316

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 04, 2017, 09:28:19 AM

NExt weekend will be great. Auburn play Clemson at Death Valley, Oklahoma goes to the horseshoe to play Ohio State, Georgia in South Bend against Notre Dame and Stanford go to LA to play USC.

Think you forgot at Fresno State Alabama as well ;)

AZOffaly

Quote from: gawa316 on September 04, 2017, 04:48:46 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 04, 2017, 09:28:19 AM

Think you forgot at Fresno State Alabama as well ;)

Silly me :)

stew

Quote from: Minder on September 04, 2017, 10:54:30 AM
Stew - Thompson is the GM of the football operations, Mark Murphy would be the man making decisions on revenue streams etc

Mark Murphy is indeed the main man, that said Ted Thompson has been given the green light to sign top free agents and has nearly aslways failed to pull the pin, I think they were over 30 million shy of the cap figure last season, if you are a non profit how much sense does that make????

He signed a crocked Charles Woodson for penies on the dollar and he finally got healthy and was a legenday player fort them, that was in the nineties, the man is killing this franchise for the almight dollar, as is Murphy, its all about the land and it is sickening, especially for the non profits.

Syferus

Chiefs absolutely torching the Patriots in Foxboro. Couldn't happen to a nicer team.

stew

Quote from: Syferus on September 08, 2017, 05:06:42 AM
Chiefs absolutely torching the Patriots in Foxboro. Couldn't happen to a nicer team.

The Patriots will be fine, they are too good and jealousy is a bitch! )

magpie seanie

Quote from: stew on September 08, 2017, 07:21:51 AM

The Patriots will be fine, they are too good and jealousy is a bitch! )

There's a fella who writes for the42.ie on the NFL and he is full of it. Was predicting the Patriots to go unbeaten (no one else was). Well done him. Always good to see the Patriots getting beaten. Balls musts have been the wrong pressure. Or maybe Tom was concussed?

lurganblue

Looking at the stats having not seen the game, it looks like the Pats never got the passing game going at all.  Gronk with only 33 yards. Edelman's injury certainly is a blow

AZOffaly

They had several passes to Brandin Cooks end up with pass Interference calls, so I don't think that's a major issue. I think it was more that they never really got their short passing game going. The Chiefs D looked good against the pass.

Denn Forever

Did that player who "took a knee" during the National Anthem get a team or is he still persona non grata?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...