Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

All up for grabs today in the Giro. Nairo is going to need a bigger time gap with the tt on the last day. Lots of excitement ahead!

bennydorano

After a dull first week the Giro was compelling viewing. Congratulations to Dumoulin I thought Quintana would nail him in the mountains but I reckon Quintana had half an eye on the TDF and probably tried to win the Giro at 80% of his capacity.

Hopefully the Tour isn't a shitfest this year. La Vuelta is always entertaining.

bennydorano

See Froome is now 10/11 & Quintana 4/1 for TDF.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Corner Forward

Hi folks

I'm looking some advise on buying my first road bike. Any help on what to look for or any good retailers would be welcomed. Cheers

JimStynes

Quote from: Corner Forward on May 28, 2017, 11:08:17 PM
Hi folks

I'm looking some advise on buying my first road bike. Any help on what to look for or any good retailers would be welcomed. Cheers

What's your budget and what height are you?

Corner Forward

Budget wise under £1000 but I could push it if it would make a big difference in the standard of bike. Height I am 5 7.

bennydorano

See the Planet X Pro carbon with full Ultegra available for £999 again. A great deal. Medium size would fit you. I've had one before, very good bike for the money.

JimStynes

If you're only getting into it then something £600/700 would get you a decent bike. Then if you stick at it and really get into it you will upgrade and your first bike will become your winter bike. Those Planet X bikes are hard to beat for value all the same. When looking for something I would look for a shimano 105 groupset, or an ultegra groupset would be a bonus. Where do you live?

Corner Forward

Quote from: JimStynes on May 30, 2017, 10:32:01 PM
If you're only getting into it then something £600/700 would get you a decent bike. Then if you stick at it and really get into it you will upgrade and your first bike will become your winter bike. Those Planet X bikes are hard to beat for value all the same. When looking for something I would look for a shimano 105 groupset, or an ultegra groupset would be a bonus. Where do you live?

Thanks Jim, I live in Newcastle.

andoireabu

Has anybody any experience of Boardman bicycles? Was looking at the one in the link but wouldn't know much about bikes.  I was in a bike shop during the week and the lad there told me to stay away from a Carrera I was looking at and pointed me towards a Giant Escape 3.  Looking a bike to do a bit of training on and maybe commute the odd day to work.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=212536&productId=1173809&storeId=11101
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

grounded

Quote from: andoireabu on May 31, 2017, 10:33:58 PM
Has anybody any experience of Boardman bicycles? Was looking at the one in the link but wouldn't know much about bikes.  I was in a bike shop during the week and the lad there told me to stay away from a Carrera I was looking at and pointed me towards a Giant Escape 3.  Looking a bike to do a bit of training on and maybe commute the odd day to work.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=212536&productId=1173809&storeId=11101

Not a thing wrong with that Boardman. I bought a road team about 4 years ago and still running perfect. The only thing I would say is that depending on the Halfords the bike may not be assembled 100% correctly so u would get someone who knows a little bit about bikes to set it up for you. That Boardman you are looking at will be absolutely fine for you for leisure/commute particularly with disc brakes . Halfords often do big promotions 20% off etc so maybe wait for that?

grounded

Anyone for the fondo tomorrow?

Last Man

Quote from: grounded on June 03, 2017, 04:04:04 PM

Aye dreading the thought of it. If it wasnt going to be the last one I could talk myself out of it.

grounded

Quote from: Last Man on June 03, 2017, 08:04:39 PM
Quote from: grounded on June 03, 2017, 04:04:04 PM

Aye dreading the thought of it. If it wasnt going to be the last one I could talk myself out of it.

Good luck, hopefully weather stays fair. My first fondo so should be good