Gaillimh vs Tír Eoghain NFL 2008

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, February 19, 2008, 09:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 29, 2008, 07:10:08 PM
I wouldnt be to fussy how we get the 15, 2-9 would do.

Be careful what you wish for!

Was still glad that we got 2-9 as recently we were struggling to get 8 or 9 points with no goal chances. Was a very good game and there were certainly more positive signs than there has been recently. Up front we finally looked dangerous and the most encouraging thing was Mulligan appears to have got his hunger back and grew with confidence as the game went on kicking a couple of crackers from play (still missed 2 straightforward wind assisted free's in 1st half). Cavanagh also added a bit of power to the forwards and Mulgrew had a decent game. In midfield McGinley was a lot quieter than in other games this season. Hub got through a lot of work and performed ok but still struggled for pace and we'll not mention his shooting/kick passing. Mellon also was more involved and better than in previous games.

The biggest problem yesterday was the defence which was far to open. Both Harte and Carlin play like half forwards and forget that there first duty is to defend. I definately think that Justy McMahon (who did well coming on) and obviously Jordan provide far better options. McCaul possibly to. Harte was worth his place in 2005 but Im far from convinced now. Carlin may just be to open to make a defender at this level. PJ Quinn was very good at corner back. Conor Gormley had 1 of his worst games ever in a Tyrone shirt but considering he was up against 1 of the top forwards in Ireland and isnt fully fit I wouldnt be to concerned.

Fear ón Srath Bán

1.   Curran: performed assuredly overall, dealt well under the high ball, and generally found his men on the kickouts. Sneaking suspicion, however, that Packie would have had a glove on Meehan's goal.
2.   Quinn: Gave his man too much space at times, though he's learning with each game at that level.
3.   Gormley: Not one of his better days. Unlucky to slip for Meehan's goal (who took it expertly), but subsequently turned a few times by Meehan, and generally found him a handful.
4.   Swift: Solid performance throughout, until his substitution.
5.   Harte: Suffered no more than the rest of the defence, in the main, with the speed and movement of the Galway attack.
6.   Carlin: Found the going heavy.
7.   Mc Menamin: struggled early on with Joyce, but eventually got to grips with him (a bit too literally for the referee's liking on one occasion, and was yellow carded).
8.   Hughes: More of a presence in the middle in this one, if he could just hold the county-level focus for a greater percentage of the game.
9.   Mc Ginley: Worked hard, gathered a lot of ball in the middle.
10.   Mellon: Caught a few great balls, his best game for a long time.
11.   Mulgrew: Despite his scores (1-1), thought he was jaded, over-exertions with UUJ perhaps?
12.   Cavanagh: Will take a few games to get back to his best, but caused plenty of problems nonetheless.
13.   Mc Guigan: Couple of great scores, worked hard, and caused the Galway defence a lot of problems.
14.   Mc Cullagh: Struggled in the conditions, fumbled the ball more than once, but industrious
15.   Mulligan: More like it, his best game for good while.

Justin Mc Mahon (for Carlin, 53): Solid, another versatile display.
N Gormley (for Mc Cullagh, 53): Scored a lovely point from the left immediately after his introduction, but didn't see too much of the ball after that.
Mc Caul (for Swift, 70): Not enough time to get into the game.

Despite the heavy conditions, this was a very enjoyable game.  It seemed to me that Galway were the slightly fitter side, up to speed at the beginning of both halves much quicker, and with a few of our lads going down with cramp towards the end of the game -- is Mickey holding back on the full rigours of fitness training this year in view of what's happened with the high level of injuries over the last two years?

The curve is definitely up for Tyrone, the fire and passion are back (not all down to Cormac's anniversary), the work-rate was a definite ramp-up from the Kerry game, though we kicked possession away too often in the final third, and allowed Galway to launch decisive attacks from their half-back line (Niall Coleman was lethal with two long-range points in the last 15 minutes). Galway are a decent team, no denying, and Armstrong was a decisive substitution just when it looked like Tyrone were securing the upper-hand, and caused a lot of problems.

A word on the referee: excellent. Well done to Kerry man Aidan Mangan – a last minute replacement for Pat Geaney – he used his common sense throughout and let the game flow in sometimes very difficult conditions.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

The curve is definitely up for Tyrone, the fire and passion are back

Sure ??

Fear ón Srath Bán

Yep, make no mistake, progressing nicely.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

KIDDO 4

According to the announcement made in Salthill , ref was to beJohn Geaney .

feetofflames

I hate to rain on anybodys parade but I though while the game was exciting Galway were missing a number of players and Tyrone were definitely a few steps behind them.  Its a sign of how stadards are falling that we are saluting this defeat as a change in our season,  Tyrone are very average at the moment with an impotent attack and a decent enough defence and when Hubs holding his own you have to ask what are we up against.  this was a performance that glossed over many of the deficiencies in the Tyrone senior squad and management at the moment. Theres 2 teams in the division cut out for relgation and believe me that the only way Tyrone will avoid it.  I see people are talking as if we will destroy Laois. FFS get a grip. 
Chief Wiggum

tieroan

I agree totally with fleetofflames. Celebrating a defeat against a Galway team who are short as many as we are (if not more). Tyrone full back line done reasonable well with the attack minded half backline that was in front of them. I saw of TG4 last night that the full backline line were up in arms literally, after Galway scored, regarding the overlaps that were created. Mickey has to play Conor Gormley centre back. It is ruining a good defence playing him full back as no one else seems to be defensively minded in Tyrone except for maybe Joey McMahon. The other defenders, including subs seem prone to attacking and not getting back and this includes our corner back. Even Justy when he came on failed to play in the half back line. Set Gormley at centre half and the middle is closed at least.

MaroonAndWhite

Its not been pointed out but the two goals that Tyrone got were very soft. While they were both well finished, Cavanagh took a gorgeous pass from a Galway defender for the first goal and the second was from a lucky rebound off a post........
Ye might be going OTT with the pessimism though, its only the 4th of March after all!!!!

Lamh Dhearg Alba

When you think that Tyrone hit 0-7 against Kildare and 0-9 against Kerry then to manage 2-9 does represent progress and it seems that for the first time this season a number of forwards were weighing in with scores. Thats a positive sign. I agree that Gormley must go back to CHB where he is outstanding. Mickey Harte still has 4 league games to give somebody else a chance to settle in at FB and hopefully he will do that. I dont think we will hammer Laois but we can certainly beat them. Its too early to be writing this Tyrone team off...take the panel from Sunday and add the likes of Jordan, Dooher and McGuigan (if the latter two ever get fit) and you have a pretty strong team for the summer.

feetofflames

Would there be a feeling out there that Damian Mc Caul should be looking at packing the bags shortly too as he certainly dosent seem to be giving him a chance rightly or wrongly to stake any sort of claim.  Is he playing too much football? It appears for the championship that these players have shown form that they are capable of performing at the highest level.  The blank spacers are the remaining available positions.  
1) Packie "the galoot" or Honest John, Get over the Johnny Curran thing.  No squad needs 3 retained goalkeepers.    
2) PJ Quinn continuing a proud tradition of Moorton fullback liners
3) Justin Mc Mahon, injury free, seems to be picking up high ratings.
4) Fast Marty, seems competent and responsible
5) Nephew: holds up ball too much but may just do enough to hold off pretenders
6) The maestro nuff said.  These days you build from 6.  Tyrone need to involve him in as much as they can.
7) Boobs - I dont think anyone can threaten Jordan, he has played well so far this year.
8) The Seanie Show - needs to up his workrate a bit.
9) Mc Ginley side show - workrate superb - effort faultless.
10) the madman Dooher - Lets get him back in there
11)The brains Mc Guigan - Hes on his way, the champagne chf
12) Mulgrew.  the least impressive of the names but a lot rate him very highly including the manager.  He'll probably start.
13)
14) Ginger nuts Cookstown man has one big year left in him.  
15) Mc Cullagh if he makes it - as a scorer but not as a playmaker,  By God we have enough assuming that role.
I believe thats your championship team in the main.  
Chief Wiggum

ONeill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 03, 2008, 08:56:49 PM
1.   Curran: performed assuredly overall, dealt well under the high ball, and generally found his men on the kickouts. Sneaking suspicion, however, that Packie would have had a glove on Meehan's goal.
2.   Quinn: Gave his man too much space at times, though he's learning with each game at that level.
3.   Gormley: Not one of his better days. Unlucky to slip for Meehan's goal (who took it expertly), but subsequently turned a few times by Meehan, and generally found him a handful.
4.   Swift: Solid performance throughout, until his substitution.
5.   Harte: Suffered no more than the rest of the defence, in the main, with the speed and movement of the Galway attack.
6.   Carlin: Found the going heavy.
7.   Mc Menamin: struggled early on with Joyce, but eventually got to grips with him (a bit too literally for the referee's liking on one occasion, and was yellow carded).
8.   Hughes: More of a presence in the middle in this one, if he could just hold the county-level focus for a greater percentage of the game.
9.   Mc Ginley: Worked hard, gathered a lot of ball in the middle.
10.   Mellon: Caught a few great balls, his best game for a long time.
11.   Mulgrew: Despite his scores (1-1), thought he was jaded, over-exertions with UUJ perhaps?
12.   Cavanagh: Will take a few games to get back to his best, but caused plenty of problems nonetheless.
13.   Mc Guigan: Couple of great scores, worked hard, and caused the Galway defence a lot of problems.
14.   Mc Cullagh: Struggled in the conditions, fumbled the ball more than once, but industrious
15.   Mulligan: More like it, his best game for good while.

Justin Mc Mahon (for Carlin, 53): Solid, another versatile display.
N Gormley (for Mc Cullagh, 53): Scored a lovely point from the left immediately after his introduction, but didn't see too much of the ball after that.
Mc Caul (for Swift, 70): Not enough time to get into the game.

From what I saw last night it seemed like Carlin had a bit of a mare. Whether he was being dragged across the field by his marker I don't know but there were gaping holes down the middle as Galway attacked. Definitely positives in Mulligan (looked 'hungry'), Hughes (little flicker of hope), Mellon (on his day as good a fielder as any) and Cavanagh. Still haven't seen what Swift offers as a corner back. Quinn on the other hand looks handy as a man-marker.

However, 1 point from a possible 6. It has been a long time since we've faced this type of scenario. Derry'll not lie down in Derry. Mayo have a habit of tormenting us. This Laois game is crucial for our Division One status.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

MaroonAndWhite

Carlin started on Padraig Joyce and was getting a rare roasting. He was switched off PJ after about 20 mins and Ryan mcMenamin put to CHB instead. Did better than Carlin but still struggled a bit but was his first game back after all.

feetofflames

Yes must be happy m and w with what effectively looks a rejuvenated and reinvented team..  Do you think theres an Ai in them?
Chief Wiggum

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: feetofflames on March 04, 2008, 03:59:53 PM
Yes must be happy m and w with what effectively looks a rejuvenated and reinvented team..  Do you think theres an Ai in them?

Delighted that they have gotten back to kicking the ball rather than the glorified version of basketball they played under Ford. I think thats the main reason why Meehan and the rest of the forwards are looking much more threatening now....they are getting more time in one on one situations rather than taking a handpass when they are bottled up cos opposition midfield and half forwards had time to funnell back cos of a slow build-up.

They look alot hungrier than they have in years too. Still no all ireland there though....midfield and full back line still look a bit dicey but we can expect a definite improvement. Still, it was hardly going to get worse than last year was it?!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: feetofflames on March 04, 2008, 03:59:53 PM

Well I wouldn't go that far but the early signs under Sammon are very positive and encouraging. Unbeaten so far in FBD and league despite a fair raft of injured players. Galway back playing something more akin to their traditional style which is direct attacking football and letting the ball do the work. Under Ford we were scoring some very low totals. Lots of games we would only get 9, 10 or 11 points. The team seem to attacking much more fluently and effectively under Sammon. The players have taken to Sammon's coaching methods which are very much skills based. Everthing is done with ball in hand. Having spent the past 4 or 5 years in transition the younger players are maturing a bit while the old heads like Padraig Joyce is still there pulling the strings and assuming the mantle of leadership on the pitch. It's still a pretty young team though bar Padraig Joyce so they may have a bit to go yet before they get to where they want to be. Certainly the talent is there for them to go on an extended run in the championship but you just don't know.

I would have concerns over the lack of a real physically commanding midfielder. Barry Cullinane is a fine impact sub of that type but isn't a 70 minute operator I think. Plus we've conceded 5 goals in 3 games although in fairness our defence has been rejigged a couple of times due to injuries. That is still too many goals to be leaking and we can be thankful that we are running up big scores at the other end.