New Armagh Manager Announced

Started by Sandy Hill, September 05, 2007, 09:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Quote from: ONeill on September 06, 2007, 12:29:50 AM

Not surprised you don't know. (coming from the man who stated Joe definitely wasn't going/there was an executive bust-up/McAlinden's coming back....i've actually started to make a tidy profit from gambling on the opposite of what you predict...)

Shane, I'm sure that Uladh is well fit to fight his own battles with you, but over on the other thread on the local GAA board Uladh said this on the 7th August:
Well the county board have asked one of the candidates to put together their backroom team in advance and have offered their current county job to someone else. there's only one candidate already working for the county board...

So all of one month ago, he told us who the new manager was.  I presume therefore you didn't get rich gambling against tha particular prediction.

loughshore lad

I think this is will prove to be an astute decision, who will McDonnels backroom team be?

Had Grimley lined up James McCartan and Aidan O'Rourke to be his back room team if he had got it?

Goats Do Shave

I thought he was referring to John Raff back then?

I think it's good that there was serious thought given to appoint the new manager. It shows that there was at least 2 excellent options. However, although everyone I chat to has a lot of time for Paul Grimley, looking from the outside (not having met either man), it seems that McDonell would be the progressive option, after his dealings with the 'new brigade' who will be Armagh's future, rather than past!

MULLABRACK1

hugely disappointed that grimley didnt get in,some people have questioned what he has done which i cant believe...if you ask anyone who played under grimley/big joe for the county then they will tell you that it was grimley who had the bigger influence on them,im not taking anything away form big joe beofre some people jump down my throat..dont think peter will have the same respect that grimley has merited in this county,anyhow no matter what il still be supporting him and hopefully he can take armagh back to where we belong..sin e

ONeill

Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 06, 2007, 08:23:11 AM
Quote from: ONeill on September 06, 2007, 12:29:50 AM

Not surprised you don't know. (coming from the man who stated Joe definitely wasn't going/there was an executive bust-up/McAlinden's coming back....i've actually started to make a tidy profit from gambling on the opposite of what you predict...)

Shane, I'm sure that Uladh is well fit to fight his own battles with you, but over on the other thread on the local GAA board Uladh said this on the 7th August:
Well the county board have asked one of the candidates to put together their backroom team in advance and have offered their current county job to someone else. there's only one candidate already working for the county board...

So all of one month ago, he told us who the new manager was.  I presume therefore you didn't get rich gambling against tha particular prediction.

I see. This is the same thread when he first stated: Armagh won't be needing a new manager which was Common knowledge round these parts ....and from.....Peter McDonald has a long etablished pedigree and probably knows the talent and potential within the county better than anyone ....and ....Grimley as manager with McDonald as the right hand man and McGeeney as player coach looks like the best option to me...to now......Joke appointment. bargain bin decision . In fact that thread sums up what is worst about Armagh football in general. If Uladh and a sizeable proportion of the Armagh posters on this board stopped repeating what bar-room pundits say, they'd be taken more seriously.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on September 06, 2007, 08:36:49 AM

Goats, I think the whole senior management team had resigned / been stepped down at that stage.  I took it that he was referring to McDonnell at that stage.

MÓC

Does anybody know why John Rafferty withdrew his candidacy?

ONeill

Quote from: MÓC on September 06, 2007, 08:53:14 AM
Does anybody know why John Rafferty withdrew his candidacy?

Non-football related reasons.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 06, 2007, 08:49:48 AM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on September 06, 2007, 08:36:49 AM

Goats, I think the whole senior management team had resigned / been stepped down at that stage.  I took it that he was referring to McDonnell at that stage.

Yeah he had, - but do you reckon McDonnell knew then he had the post??

orangeman

I'm not surprsed by this at all - he provides continuity amongst the younger lads and knows the older lads inside out.

Candyman

As i've already stated I thought Grimley was a cert for the job after giving up his post with Cavan?!?!/
Whats your views on this HANK???

bennydorano

Happy enough to see Mcdonnell get the job, unfortunately I don't think there'll be any significant change in tactics from the JK era, but I don't think any of the candidates were offering that (def not Grimley who I would say is very cautious).  It'll be interesting to see his back room team, a lot of talk about McGeeney having some sort of role which I wouldn't object to, but if he hasn't I hope he retires, he seems to have an awful lot of influence with players and maybe within the county board too and that is certainly something that any new manager could do without. 

Maximus Marillius

PG will feel that he has been completely shit on...there is no way he left Cavan without being giving some reassurances that the job was his...after all he was not doing his work in Cavan for nothing, and now he is left with nothing. The politics of footie.

Candyman

Just heard that 80% of clubs voted for Grimley but the Co Board siad they would resign if McDonnell didnt get the job???? WTF??? ::)
Apparently Grimley had Tony Scullion and wee James McCartan as his backroom staff....

If this is true then the whole Co Board stinks of piss and are a complete joke!!!! JK- he hasn't gone away you know!!!!

Uladh

Shane this is football talk... away back to the tractor reversing thread like a good man.

Out of the country at the minute and haven't time to get into the underhand process which took place to deprive grimley of the job, but a few points.

Kernan was staying until a row over money caused him to spit the dummy out. he had already a lot of plans in place for 2008.

McDonnell was annointed by joe as his successor weeks ago (yes, the county board still bow the knee to the great man).

As well as joe's endorsement, McDonnell's requirements in tems of player support and preparation represented a huge reduction in cost from joe's era, and therefor what pg would require.

those clubs interested in the process were livid at the meeting last night and contributions from the floor were stopped as it was getting out of hand. however, many clubs were indifferent to the appointment either way.

Grimley's backroom team were tony scullion and james mccartan.