Tony McEntee and Gareth O'Neill have stepped down as joint managers of the Cross

Started by our_fella, March 06, 2013, 10:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

A huge job to be taken on with the bar raised to the very highest level. The standards to be maintained are massive and it must be a thought for the next manager coming in that the "wheels" could off and you'd be forever labelled as the man who broke cross  :o

Also, isn't it the case that they don't appoint outside manager?

Any odds on Big Joe coming back or is that a very long shot.

Had heard that Gareth O'Neill was for staying on, that mustn't be the case.

Armaghgeddon

I have always thought that this would happen

1st year Grimley
2nd year McGeeney
3rd year McNulty

yellowcard

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on March 07, 2013, 12:28:12 PM

1st year Grimley
2nd year McGeeney
3rd year McNulty

If the county board have any vision then Tony McEntee will be brought on board either as U18/U21 manager initially or alternatively brought in as senior team manager whichever job is available first. I think he would be the best man for the job at this time although there are other candidates with county experience like McNulty, O'Rourke and McGeeney. Can't see McGeeney taking the job nor the county board wanting him which leaves McNulty, O'Rourke and McEntee. A lot of it comes down to timing and who might be available the next time the job comes up. There are a lot of decent players coming through and I think it would be no harm to have a potential senior team manager work at Under 21 level first of all since that grade is more important than minor level.   

regal

1st year Grimley
2nd year McGeeney
3rd year McNulty

So you think McGeeney will be manager next year but will only stay for 1 year? Why for only 1 year?

DuffleKing

Quote from: yellowcard on March 07, 2013, 01:38:49 PM

1st year Grimley
2nd year McGeeney
3rd year McNulty

If the county board have any vision then Tony McEntee will be brought on board either as U18/U21 manager initially or alternatively brought in as senior team manager whichever job is available first. I think he would be the best man for the job at this time although there are other candidates with county experience like McNulty, O'Rourke and McGeeney. Can't see McGeeney taking the job nor the county board wanting him which leaves McNulty, O'Rourke and McEntee. A lot of it comes down to timing and who might be available the next time the job comes up. There are a lot of decent players coming through and I think it would be no harm to have a potential senior team manager work at Under 21 level first of all since that grade is more important than minor level.

Sure at least two - and maybe three - of those boys wanted the job in September if hearsay is to be believed.

Can't see McEntee being too keen on the senior job in the near future. The All Ireland winning u21 team are almost past their best and another year will soon have passed in that regard - AK, McKeever, Mallon x 2, Toner, Donaghy, etc.

naka

heard it was john mc entee to step up

both tony and gareth were always stepping down( gareth had to be persuaded to stay this year did he not)
great managers hopefully will make their way to armagh in the not to distant future

ranch

Quote from: armaghniac on March 07, 2013, 09:33:03 AM
QuoteHe knows he still has a good team there though, unlikely to have an opportunity like it again?

If Oisin wished to put his hat in the ring in the future, he'd have every chance and would still have a good team!

Obviously he'd have every chance, my point is that he knows he has a great team there now that can still compete for All Ireland's. In 5 or 6 years time nobody knows what the situation will be. Not saying he will go for it or even should, just making an observation.

time ticking away

canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

LeoMc

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 07, 2013, 10:45:03 AM
Quote from: Declan on March 07, 2013, 08:31:23 AM
Go on BC1 step up to the plate

Unfortunately I am already helping build another black and amber dynasty but even if I was available I would have to give up my true GAA love....posting on here  ;D

Anyway the lads deserve huge credit for what they have done and I would imagine that they will not get involved with a club senior team again.  I think they would find it very difficult to do.  The search now for a new manager will be interesting.
Some interesting names linked to the job in today's IN.  ;)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: LeoMc on March 16, 2013, 10:02:13 PM

Unfortunately I am already helping build another black and amber dynasty but even if I was available I would have to give up my true GAA love....posting on here  ;D

Anyway the lads deserve huge credit for what they have done and I would imagine that they will not get involved with a club senior team again.  I think they would find it very difficult to do.  The search now for a new manager will be interesting.
Seen that myself. Setting a low bar if some of the names are to be believed  :D

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 17, 2013, 12:41:23 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on March 16, 2013, 10:02:13 PM

Seen that myself. Setting a low bar if some of the names are to be believed  :D

:P

yellowcard

The sucess that TOny McEntee and Gareth O'Neill have had could ensure that there aren't that many willing to take on the job because they are on a hiding to nothing. Anything less than winning All Irelands will be deemed a disappointing season now for Cross. If they looked outside the club I'm sure there would be men willing to take on the job since there is a very good chance of AI success but I can't see that happening.