Stung on Ebay - any advice?

Started by The Gs Man, December 16, 2010, 06:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

Looking a bit of advice if anyone can give it.

Bought an item off Ebay, 50 quid for a dolls house as a Christmas present for my daughter. Opened the box the other day to check that everything was present and correct, one of those build it yourself jobs.

So, the roof, made from fecking flimsy cardboard is tore and not worth a fcuk. Some of the walls at the side are also very creased and again, one of them is ripped.

I contacted the seller through ebay to get their returns policy and low and behold, they said, in very broken English, that they don't accept returns.

So what happens? Can I just get robbed like that and get passed off with a pish-poor product?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Keep 'er lit

pintsofguinness

No, there's a way of getting funds back through paypal. 
If you see the section in your account to leave feedback, click on something like "resolve a problem" and there's a procedure to go through.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

supersub

Start a complaints proceedure, (open a dispute) on paypal if thats how you paid. It will freeze the money in their paypal account until they either resolve it for you or give you a refund. The money can't go in to their bank until you have leave positive feedback, which I presume you haven't because of the state of the item!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: supersub on December 16, 2010, 07:15:59 PM
Start a complaints proceedure on paypal if thats how you paid. It will freeze the money in their paypal account until they either resolve it for you or give you a refund. The money can't go in to their bank until you have leave positive feedback, which I presume you haven't because of the state of the item!
What? That's not right, the money goes to them immediately but I think paypal has a way to get it back. 

supersub

Any time I have sold anything on ebay I had to wait a certain amount of days (30 or something) or wait til I got positive feedback, whatever is sooner, before the money was released from paypal to my account!

Minder

As the previous posters said, raise a dispute, item not as described etc. You should get your money back ok through Paypal.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

pintsofguinness

Quote from: supersub on December 16, 2010, 07:20:19 PM
Any time I have sold anything on ebay I had to wait a certain amount of days (30 or something) or wait til I got positive feedback, whatever is sooner, before the money was released from paypal to my account!
That's strange. I only ever sold one thing on ebay and I'm sure I got it right way - there's some items I never leave feed back for, you would think they'd be asking you to give the feedback if that was the case.

muppet

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 16, 2010, 07:27:54 PM
That's strange. I only ever sold one thing on ebay and I'm sure I got it right way - there's some items I never leave feed back for, you would think they'd be asking you to give the feedback if that was the case.

They have a cash on delivery policy for those sort of services.
MWWSI 2017

The Gs Man

Cheers lads. I will raise a dispute and see how it goes from there. I have noticed that others have left negative feedback for the same item so that might help when I go through ebay/paypal.
Keep 'er lit

lurganblue

I rarely if ever leave feedback. Can't be bothered as I am usually happy with what I have bought. I too thought they got the money instantly.

Puckoon

Strange timing - my boss just told me a story today of a guy he said he knew (could be an urban legend) who got stung on ebay after selling two big game tickets. The even was approaching and the winning bidder told him that she was not going to buy the tickets. He said she had to - she had won the bid. She said - take it up with ebay - its not my problem.

Guy goes away - sets up a new ebay account/email account and contacts the woman- offering to pay twice what she paid for the tickets. She goes for it - and contacts the orginal seller and asks would he still sell the tickets. He agreed - went to meet her, sold the tickets. She then contacted the facticious seller - who turned her words on her and said - take it up with ebay, its not my problem - Im not buying the tickets any more.

Eddie Stobart

Quote from: Puckoon on December 16, 2010, 08:56:31 PM
Strange timing - my boss just told me a story today of a guy he said he knew (could be an urban legend) who got stung on ebay after selling two big game tickets. The even was approaching and the winning bidder told him that she was not going to buy the tickets. He said she had to - she had won the bid. She said - take it up with ebay - its not my problem.

Guy goes away - sets up a new ebay account/email account and contacts the woman- offering to pay twice what she paid for the tickets. She goes for it - and contacts the orginal seller and asks would he still sell the tickets. He agreed - went to meet her, sold the tickets. She then contacted the facticious seller - who turned her words on her and said - take it up with ebay, its not my problem - Im not buying the tickets any more.

Thats class  :D

supersub

Quote from: muppet on December 16, 2010, 07:39:11 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 16, 2010, 07:27:54 PM

They have a cash on delivery policy for those sort of services.

I'm pretty sure that's the way it works as I have sold a number of items on eBay before and ha always been the case. After a certain period the money is released anyway if there is no dispute or any type of feedback.