Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 30, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

This doesn't look good for us. If a man walks away from a job after being successful and is highly regarded, does that man feel he can't do any more? I'm hoping we hear from him and I'm hoping he talks about the huge commitment required and/or wanting to spend more time with the family. Anything else will make this an impossible sell and God knows what Bozo we'll end up with

Countyminor

Be interesting to see what Sugrue does now. My guess is he takes another sabbatical. Having a young family and being self employed are only compatible with intercounty commitments for so long

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: High Fielder on July 30, 2019, 10:17:44 PM
This doesn't look good for us. If a man walks away from a job after being successful and is highly regarded, does that man feel he can't do any more? I'm hoping we hear from him and I'm hoping he talks about the huge commitment required and/or wanting to spend more time with the family. Anything else will make this an impossible sell and God knows what Bozo we'll end up with

I'd say unfortunately that may be the case.

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 30, 2019, 10:35:14 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on July 30, 2019, 10:17:44 PM

I'd say unfortunately that may be the case.
It's a cert it's because of family and work.

High Fielder

I hope you're right Don. If I thought for a minute he was pushed or going elsewhere, bar Kerry, I'd blow a gasket. He's been the best thing to happen to Laois football in a long time

Giovanni

He did bring an intelligence to the whole thing that will be hard to replace. I can't see that any of the usual suspects would be an adequate replacement.

High Fielder

I was hoping he might take the 20s as well. It was increasing his involvement, not terminating it, that I had in mind.

The Boy Wonder

Very disappointing news but thank you John Sugrue.
Getting us back up from Division 4 to Division 2 was a testament to his ability - he had the skillset and did an excellent job.
I think we all would have wished him to continue.

Anyway, whether it was to be John or a new manager there was always going to be a rebuilding job to be done.
Obviously the backbone of our team is ageing but we we do have some bright prospects emerging from Under-20.
The new man will have his work cut out to consolidate our place in Division 2 while blooding younger lads in the process.

Whoever is chosen I just hope he can do as least as good a job as John Sugrue has done.

BallyroanAbu

Rather than outsiders would prefer we go internal and risk it, Cotter, Kearns etc i'd rather our own than the usual catwalk of also rans

Keyser Söze

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 31, 2019, 12:14:57 AM
Rather than outsiders would prefer we go internal and risk it, Cotter, Kearns etc i'd rather our own than the usual catwalk of also rans

At their age and level of experience I think it would be mad not to pair an experienced MANAGER with them.
The continuity of having them involved would however be a positive.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Don Draper on July 30, 2019, 09:07:46 PM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on July 30, 2019, 07:30:43 PM
He won't. Also have manners you cur.

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 30, 2019, 09:22:41 PM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on July 30, 2019, 07:30:43 PM

Horrendous post. Should be deleted.

Lads, the original post seems to have been removed, suggest you delete your replies quoting it
Hasta la victoria siempre

welcomehome

Well done john..u did a great job for the last few years..Hopefully we will get a good man to take over..personally i didnt think they moved as good this year as last year.didnt think some of the players had the same hunger..

High Fielder

The Laois Today article says it all. The greatest list of Can't Haves and Don't Wants ever compiled. No harm intended to the lads

Andy06

Well thats us goosed!
Can't underestimate the job Sugrue has done. Never mind the work with the seniors which was his basic remit, but also the setting up of the Laois "area" championship last year to take a look at more lads, it was a super idea and shows the initiative of the man.
I would assume its for family reasons as it was clearly a project that he was building and I have no doubt he would have been eager to test him and his teams abilities against better teams.

Wonder how far the County Board went to keep him here, did they pre-empt any of  this, or did they try reach out to him as soon as the season finished to discuss a suitable arrangement for staying on. I have a feeling they did diddly squat!

blueandwhite1

Desperately sad that John couldn't continue. Hard to find that mix of knowledge, vision, passion, enthusiasm and leadership. He did a great job and I personally hoped he would be in the job for another 10 years.

I would rather we took a chance on a young ambitious and forward thinking replacement than a journeyman. Laois are going to be in transition for 3-4 years now as our stalwarts bow out and are replaced with younger guys. The quality of the set-up will be key to whether it is a successful transition.