Mayo v Donegal, Elverys McHale Park, Aug 03, 6pm

Started by highorlow, July 22, 2019, 09:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearsiuil

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 05, 2019, 09:13:35 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on August 05, 2019, 09:12:07 AM
Out of curiosity - whats the WJblog?

Mayogaablog.com. Hilarious stuff. I fell out with the top dog so I no longer post there.
Great resource for past matches, results and updates but comments best avoided as some deluded "super fans" there.

ck

A lot of commentary on the ref. As a neutral I thought he did ok but perhaps a bit generous to Donegal and kept them in the game with a soft penalty. Technically he was correct as the jersey was clearly being held but there was no doubt that Murphy was grappling with Keegan as much as the other way around. It was a soft penalty to give away and was probably the only way Donegal were ever going to get a goal.

If Mayo had their shooting boots on they'd have beaten Donegal by 12-15+. Donegal were poor and they looked like it was just a matter of showing up. They are wide open defensively and if you take Murphy, McHugh and McBrearty out they are a very average side. If anything they proved they lack the cahunas for the big challenge.
Mayo yet again silence the critics, including me, and march on to the last 4. They really are a sensation.

rosnarun

a pile of dog poop with a good stats section , run by a guy who rarely goes to matches and spoils the other wise fime Mayo news Gaa podcast
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

BennyCake

Quote from: tyroneman on August 05, 2019, 09:11:28 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2019, 08:28:11 AM
Is a drag back a black card??

No

Ok fair enough. But shouldering the man after he's played the ball, is a black card. Don't see much of a difference.

imtommygunn

Are you sure?? I didn't think shouldering a man late or dragging back were.

tyrone08

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2019, 02:58:32 PM

Rules are-

1. Deliberately pull down an opponent.
2. Deliberately trip an opponent with the hand(s), arm, leg or foot.
3. Deliberately body collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of a movement of play.
4. Threaten or to use abusive or provocative language or gestures to an opponent or a teammate.
5. Remonstrate in an aggressive manner with a Match Official.

I find it funny that a player can literally hold an opponent back which in itself is cynical but you wont get a black card. I seen a fair bit of blocking off the ball in the mayo v donegal game with no card shown. As a neutral i would say donegal were doing more off the ball blocking than mayo.

The frontal shoulder off the ball after the donegal penalty according to the rules should have been a black card. Leo blocked a mayo players run after he played the ball which should have been another black card.

The rules are not the issue its the refs who wont/dont enforce them that is the problem.

whitey

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 05, 2019, 03:07:39 PM

Rules are-

3. Deliberately body collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of a movement of play.
4. Threaten or to use abusive or provocative language or gestures to an opponent or a teammate.

I find it funny that a player can literally hold an opponent back which in itself is cynical but you wont get a black card. I seen a fair bit of blocking off the ball in the mayo v donegal game with no card shown. As a neutral i would say donegal were doing more off the ball blocking than mayo.

The frontal shoulder off the ball after the donegal penalty according to the rules should have been a black card. Leo blocked a mayo players run after he played the ball which should have been another black card.

The rules are not the issue its the refs who wont/dont enforce them that is the problem.

I think the hit on O Shea could have easily been a straight red for striking.....you can see he clearly lifts his elbow on the replay.

thewobbler

How the black card works in reality:

1. If you are a referee on the second tier, you can accomplish a higher ranking from the assessor if you apply the black cards exactly as prescribed. It will drive players and managers mad, but will improve your chances of promotion.

2. If you are already a top tier referee, the black card only actually exists in the last 5 minutes of a match, and in whatever injury time you add. You don't need to be consistent with decision in the previous 65 mins, after all the best players in Ireland are on show and we don't need them leaving the field too early. But in the interests of media perception about bias, if you do issue a black to a high profile player, make sure someone from the opposing team gets one a few minutes later.

imtommygunn

Rules are-

Yeah a frontal shoulder would be a black but not a late shoulder to shoulder.

Possibly not that far from the truth wobbler lol.

I think the black card isn't implemented very well but Benny I don't think you know the intended rules round it...

Randy

Quote from: rosnarun on August 05, 2019, 01:28:13 PM
a pile of dog poop with a good stats section , run by a guy who rarely goes to matches and spoils the other wise fime Mayo news Gaa podcast

I noticed He has a bad habit of cutting across people (ex-players) when they are talking and kinda dismisses their opinions.

BennyCake

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2019, 03:28:51 PM

Rules are-

Yeah a frontal shoulder would be a black but not a late shoulder to shoulder.

Possibly not that far from the truth wobbler lol.

I think the black card isn't implemented very well but Benny I don't think you know the intended rules round it...

Does anyone? Even the referees?

I recall a player in the AI club final a year or two ago. A few mins in, shouldered opponent after he had played the ball, and got black. Castle bar were involved I think.

tyrone08

Quote from: whitey on August 05, 2019, 03:18:16 PM

Rules are-

I think the hit on O Shea could have easily been a straight red for striking.....you can see he clearly lifts his elbow on the replay.

Yeah I thought the same. On the first viewing I thought he was going to get a red. Cant believe what goes through a players head some times, you just scored a pen and are back in the game...hold on a second and let me completely take this man out and potentially have my team down a man for the rest of the game.

larryin89

I'm glad some neutrals are recognising the assault on Aido.  He does not get the protection all other players get, that is just not right .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Armagh18

Rules are-

The rules are crap. Who wants to see players being forced off for stupid little things like that, yellow is more than enough.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: rosnarun on August 05, 2019, 01:28:13 PM
I fell out with him a long time ago because of you!
Way back when he started the blog, he was using some foulmouthed language- okay for a pub or maybe a dressing room but not, IMO, for a public blog.. For instance and this was sometime after the '96 games against Meath, he referred to Colm Coyle as a sneaky little ****. I only heard of his blog though this board so I paid it a visit and I found he was going gung ho about some Mayo posters on here.
Seems he had criticized some Mayo player for not trying hard enough and some Mitchels supporters here complained on this board that he was being unfair to the lad in question because he didn't like Mitchels.
This first blog I came across was a full scale attack on the cowardliness of some anonymous Mayo posters who dared to criticise him but who weren't brave enough to come on to his blog and say their piece.
So I decided to come onto his blog and have a bit of fun. Beofre I did, you had posted something here saying you were surprised at his attitude or something like that- nothing remotely offensive. His reaction was priceless. He started off, "So another nameless brave hero lops another bomb over the parapet. Listen you guys, you better smarten up because when I get home, I'll sort you cowardly lot out." (He was on hols in North Africa, I think.)
So I decided to let him know everybody here wasn't afraid to go onto his Micky Mouse excuse for a Mayo fans blog when he was only using it as a mouthpiece for his oversize ego and I told him his language wasn't what a normal adult would need to get his message across.
He let my first post stay up but he certainly didn't leave my second one!
I see he has cleaned up his act and I do think his reference section is priceless but I have never read through his comments as I gave up reading the first one I looked at after two or three posts.

He had an awful opinion of himself in the early days- unbelievable self-importance and couldn't tolerate any criticism of himself or what he wrote.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi