What can the GAA do to resurrect an interest in Intercounty Football?

Started by From the Bunker, June 20, 2018, 07:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

You're beginning to sound like a broken record now.
Or are you pining for the old days when a hurling match between Kildare and London would attract 20,000??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

shark

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 24, 2018, 07:43:38 PM
Quote from: shark on June 24, 2018, 07:38:40 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 24, 2018, 07:26:23 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 24, 2018, 07:18:18 PM
Have we now 3 obsolete Provincial cakewalk Championships and one competitive one?
Next 2 Rounds and the Qtr Final series might reawaken things hopefully.

Not much wrong with Ulster Monaghan, Tyrone and Donegal have been competitive with one another for a good few years now while Armagh, Derry, Down and Cavan have the potential to be strong again. Leinster would reawaken when Dublin is separated from it while Munster is problematic but the GAA won't die in it with Hurling being so strong. Leinster is where the GAA is really dying and an ignored tiered championship won't help.

Can only speak for what I see in Westmeath. For 4 years prior to this year Westmeath won every game they played in Leinster until they met Dublin. Beat Meath for first time ever, and Kildare for first time in a long long time. Also 2 wins against rivals Offaly were a big deal. In all 4 games against Dublin they were stuffed. Played defensively in 2 finals and kept the score down to semi respectable levels. Last year the players asked to play more offensively, were allowed to, and got annihilated. They were embarrassed. Slagged off and joked at all over social media.
What happened this year? Roughly 10 of the best 25 players in the county packed it in. All still below 30. Another has announced ( ::) ) his retirement since the Armagh game. Still in his prime.
I don't blame any of them. There is no point. They don't get out anything close to what they put in. This will be seen right across the country, but I guess Leinster is seeing it first.

When they get to play the football version of the Christy Ring cup they will come flooding back though.

I'm not claiming to have the solutions here. The Joe McDonagh Cup has received pathetic coverage and I suspect the same would happen in football. And I guess that's the point you're sarcastically making.

Jinxy

This might be a relatively minor detail, but we don't refer to the senior inter-county football championship as 'The Sam Maguire Cup.'
That's just the name of the trophy.
We have perfectly acceptable existing terminology to describe a graded championship, i.e. senior, intermediate, junior, which I daresay would be preferable to 'Tommy Murphy', 'Christy Ring' etc.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

befair

Tiered championships work really at both club level and in ladies football. If properly supported they could work equally well at county level. Otherwise the mismatches and hammerings will continue

High Fielder

Dublin are semi professional so it seems logical to prepare something with that in mind. I also think that players in weaker counties, particularly the better ones, must have a pathway to medals. Maybe a Select Provincial team should play Kerry, Donegal or whoever to see who represents that Province. Let's face it, the Qualifiers are a wasteland and the Railway Cup is meaningless albeit a nice idea. Scrap one and resuscitate the other and we might get a bit of competition at least

trailer

Great to see Carlow, Fermanagh, Tipperary, and Laois all hammered this weekend. More of this please. These Div 3 and 4 counties need to keep taking these heavy tankings. Eventually then they will wake up and stop blocking a tiered championship. Hopefully they experience massive player turnover. Just because they win one big game doesn't give them a God given right to play at the top level.

Tier the championship but until then keep beating these teams by 10 points +

Tubberman

Quote from: trailer on June 25, 2018, 09:28:04 AM
Great to see Carlow, Fermanagh, Tipperary, and Laois all hammered this weekend. More of this please. These Div 3 and 4 counties need to keep taking these heavy tankings. Eventually then they will wake up and stop blocking a tiered championship. Hopefully they experience massive player turnover. Just because they win one big game doesn't give them a God given right to play at the top level.

Tipperary lost by 8 points and are a Division 2 team.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Cunny Funt

Poor effort at trolling there. Give it another go.

trailer

Sorry who am I trolling? The weaker teams include Cork in that if you want, are holding up a tiered championship. That's the reality but sure you like to watch these drubbings then that's up to you. Everyone else thinks its a joke.

Jinxy

Could somebody who reckons a tiered championship wouldn't work please explain to me how it could possibly be worse than the status quo?

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on June 25, 2018, 09:59:36 AM
Could somebody who reckons a tiered championship wouldn't work please explain to me how it could possibly be worse than the status quo?

The status quo is effectively tiered. It's a broken system.

Average 13 point wins in 4 provincial finals. Competition is very unwell.
Why would anyone bother going to a provincial final? It's exciting beforehand of course with all the talk in Laois and Fermanagh but watching the county get its arse on a plate is not good for inspiring kids.

The Super 8 reminds me of a quote by HL Mencken

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on June 25, 2018, 10:06:22 AM

Why would anyone bother going to a provincial final? It's exciting beforehand of course with all the talk in Laois and Fermanagh but watching the county get its arse on a plate is not good for inspiring kids.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

You two lads are like Colm O Rourke and Joe Brolly having a conversation.

five points

Quote from: Tubberman on June 25, 2018, 09:36:37 AM

Tipperary lost by 8 points and are a Division 2 team.

... almost promoted to Division 1, three months ago.

Jinxy

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 25, 2018, 10:11:56 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 25, 2018, 10:06:22 AM

You two lads are like Colm O Rourke and Joe Brolly having a conversation.

High praise indeed.
I'm assuming Seafóid is Brolly.

Dinny Breen

It would become self-fulfilling, it would erode what little interest their is in my counties, which will affect ticket sales, sponsorship etc etc That is turn will affect team prep and the gap will just grow bigger and bigger.

It might be showed on TG4 but for how long and it certainly won't seep into a county's consciousness never made a national consciousness.

The country is not big enough for a tiered championship. The Christy Ring final was shown on YouTube, even TG4 didn't consider worthy to broadcast properly.

The majority of people calling for it, Jinxy aside, are from footballing elite counties.

#newbridgeornowhere