Sky Broadband

Started by tyroneman, December 30, 2016, 01:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Anyone use Sky Broadband? Is it OK speed and coverage wise?

Thinking of changing from BT as there is no point being charged for landlines in this day and age.

Minder

Quote from: tyroneman on December 30, 2016, 01:34:02 PM
Anyone use Sky Broadband? Is it OK speed and coverage wise?

Thinking of changing from BT as there is no point being charged for landlines in this day and age.

I thought you are charged for a landline regardless of who your provider is?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

bennydorano

I recently changed from Sky to Vodafone, superfast BB for 18th months for the same price as my Sky ordinary BB was. Vodafone also have (had anyway when I changed 2 months ago) a deal for no landlines / totally wireless superfast BB but it wasn't available in Armagh area.

johnneycool

f**k, don't start me on broadband.

I have been having it out with BT as to why I don't have Superfast broadband available to me when there's a fibre to the street cabinet right at the end of my lane, less than 100 metres from my front door. Most of my neighbours can get 60M plus. I'm getting 1M to 1.5M on a good day.
After several different departments asking me the same question I kept getting the stock answer that it wasn't available in my area and I was x number of miles from the nearest switch, but finally got through to some girl from South Shields in England telling me that infrastructure was nothing to do with BT but is now Openreach.

Openreach are like all BT companies a shower of shit for customer support with no contact phone number, so I've ended up sending them an email, but lord knows what response I'm going to get from it.

Tony Baloney

outinfront

I was using Sky BB.  Offers up to 17MB speed.  I did a speed check and i was only getting 0.57!  Useless.  I investigated this and turns out my line's max was 2MB! Ended up going to sky fibre and its dead on.

Basically check what speed you can ACTUALLY get before you buy.

gaaman2016

Quote from: johnneycool on December 30, 2016, 03:43:30 PM
f**k, don't start me on broadband.

I have been having it out with BT as to why I don't have Superfast broadband available to me when there's a fibre to the street cabinet right at the end of my lane, less than 100 metres from my front door. Most of my neighbours can get 60M plus. I'm getting 1M to 1.5M on a good day.
After several different departments asking me the same question I kept getting the stock answer that it wasn't available in my area and I was x number of miles from the nearest switch, but finally got through to some girl from South Shields in England telling me that infrastructure was nothing to do with BT but is now Openreach.

Openreach are like all BT companies a shower of shit for customer support with no contact phone number, so I've ended up sending them an email, but lord knows what response I'm going to get from it.

Sounds identical to my situation, we had a new cabinet installed 200 metres away about 18 months ago by BT but they still haven't been able to explain why we haven't been connected. The Openreach website is about as accurate as recent election opinion polls. We have gone from being at "build" stage in July 2015 to "under review" to "in scope" back to "under review" again.

We have been told to go done the Satellite route which I thing is ridiculous given two houses away get 50 Mbps and there is a new fibre cabinet 200 metres away and about 4 houses

Any one have any advice where I can get further info?

armaghniac

Apply for a second line on condition that it be connected to the cabinet. If it works then discontinue previous line, moving number if required. Sky etc will make little difference, they are all using the same wires.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B