Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: paddyjohn on October 26, 2020, 08:19:23 AM
We are where we are because we deserve to be there. We've not been consistent enough to get out of div 4. There's no point in pinning blame on players or management.

Gaelfast may work and over time start producing results, I certainly hope it does as another poster said, we've not been competitive enough at minor and Un21s. Clearly there is an argument that not enough of our lads are playing college football, Lenny can't change that. He's played the hand he's been dealt. I agree with taking back a few of the older hands to help the cause this season and it worked to a certain extent.

Instead of spouting on here about clubs and things that don't concern you, why not out your shoulder to the wheel and help.
IVe been coaching kids for 20 plus years - dicussion boards are for spouting - the clue is in the name...discussion!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 26, 2020, 11:23:46 AM
We are where we are because we deserve to be there. We've not been consistent enough to get out of div 4. There's no point in pinning blame on players or management.

Gaelfast may work and over time start producing results, I certainly hope it does as another poster said, we've not been competitive enough at minor and Un21s. Clearly there is an argument that not enough of our lads are playing college football, Lenny can't change that. He's played the hand he's been dealt. I agree with taking back a few of the older hands to help the cause this season and it worked to a certain extent.

Instead of spouting on here about clubs and things that don't concern you, why not out your shoulder to the wheel and help.
IVe been coaching kids for 20 plus years - dicussion boards are for spouting - the clue is in the name...discussion!

Any of them playing last week?  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dunsilly King

A question for you, in all your time coaching have you produced one senior intercounty player? remember be honest.

paddyjohn

Discussion or repetition?

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Dunsilly King on October 26, 2020, 11:55:12 AM

A question for you, in all your time coaching have you produced one senior intercounty player? remember be honest.
Yes 2 for over the years - noT a big figure but a contribution since you asked

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 26, 2020, 02:26:49 PM

We've been div 4 for many years, dipped our toes into div3, we as clubs and county are not producing players good enough for div 3 football.  So begs the question, is our coaching right at club level and are our coaches doing the right things?

Is there a uniform approach required across all clubs to implement at the all ages? This would need to be monitored to help gauge the effectiveness of the coaching, I believe every club is great at doing the 'fundemental' coaching but under 12 up where are we going wrong?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dunsilly King

well done!

Dunsilly King

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 26, 2020, 02:36:47 PM

We've been div 4 for many years, dipped our toes into div3, we as clubs and county are not producing players good enough for div 3 football.  So begs the question, is our coaching right at club level and are our coaches doing the right things?

Is there a uniform approach required across all clubs to implement at the all ages? This would need to be monitored to help gauge the effectiveness of the coaching, I believe every club is great at doing the 'fundemental' coaching but under 12 up where are we going wrong?

I thought that was fairly obvious to all. Creggan at u16 and minor level would have played Lavey and Bellaghy at these age groups over the past ten years and have usually taken a thumping. The reason is coaching. You don't know what you don't know.

Calm Down

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 26, 2020, 02:36:47 PM

The last thing I am going to do is to comment on coaches in clubs, their ways and means etc, don't want to be on the naughty seat again  :-[

Jeepers Creepers

Not ating enough spuds and using the stretching machine enough!

EOC1923

To be fair a lot of clubs are still producing quality players. Creggan, Moneyglass, Cargin, Aghagallon have all had plenty of players recently who have been key players in Macrory Cup teams. St Ronans Lurgan won it with 5 r 6 Aghagallon men starting about 2 years ago. St Pats Maghera, St Marys Magherafelt Macrory teams aren't easy to get on and the other clubs named regularly have players starting there.
Why are the Belfast schools like St Marys CBS and La Salle not in the Macrory cup (maybe they are?), there is numerous former Antrim players teaching in both places. This would be a massive help. I am sure Gaelfast are pushing this.

EOC1923

You could be right. Could maybe form a small part of wider strategy.

imtommygunn

Gets you exposure to a much higher standard of football. I still believe that st galls having so many of their players playing sigerson really brought them on a lot too playing at that higher level.

It needs to be over a prolonged period of time though. We'd boys on county panels who weren't making the likes of st pats maghera mcrory teams though they would have been half decent.

Sportacus

County Louth 14 day incidence per 100,000 is 299.5.  Makes you wonder.

antrimman667

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on October 24, 2020, 11:04:48 PM
Its hugely frustrating to look forward to another year in the basement. I think we are better than that. Point lost in Sligo and a home draw to Carlow were the most costly days this year; taking last Saturday as an unexplainable blip.

So next year Louth and Leitrim will be down in 4, both beatable, and we have beaten both in recent times. Wexford you suspect will improve, Carlow too. It will be very hard to finish top 2.

'Sack' the manager? and what...who coming in will make a massive difference? What players aren't playing who should be? None except Matt Fitzpatrick.

Continuity I think is a valuable commodity here. Lenny and his team will have learned with each season. Lets put the lessons to work for next year,
Lenny is a huge part to blame for the downfall of the senior teams as of recently, the way he sets his stall with 13 men behind the ball playing a hugely defensive system against teams like Wicklow is purely unacceptable. he has a crop of talent that has came through the ranks and is reluctant to use them and revert to players who are a few years by their sell-buy date. need to refocus with a manager with a clear strategy and a total organizational reform. Players that need to be given a chance in an attacking system that Antrim can actually put scores on the board. the quality is there. Management, not so much.