11th night bonfires

Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insane Bolt

Do we need a documentary to tell us that sport can bring people together from different backgrounds?
I can't see any connection between sport and the orange order.

screenexile

Quote from: Insane Bolt on July 13, 2018, 08:39:40 AM
Do we need a documentary to tell us that sport can bring people together from different backgrounds?

Why don't we just wait until the documentary comes out so we can see the substance of it and make an informed deci.... lol nah fuckit they're all c***ts who cares  ::) ::)

Insane Bolt

Quote from: screenexile on July 13, 2018, 08:42:38 AM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on July 13, 2018, 08:39:40 AM

Why don't we just wait until the documentary comes out so we can see the substance of it and make an informed deci.... lol nah fuckit they're all c***ts who cares  ::) ::)

Who said they were all c**ts? I played alongside guys who were members of the OO, they were very uncomfortable when I would slag them about playing with a fenian😂

seafoid

I don't think a rugby player is the best to try to bridge the divide. Rugby is there already. Unionists and Orange Order members have always played on Irish rugby teams. Some of the greatest Irish players came from Ulster.
The problem is elsewhere.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RetiredRessie

Really baffles me sometimes how out of touch some southern Catholics/nationalists are with our situation up in the North.

Rossfan

Whatever about Dublin 4 O'Driscoll did the knuckledraggers manage to burn any of their Hell holes ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

At least nobody has (yet) trotted out the abhorrent suggested equivalence of the OO and the GAA. I'll reserve judgement on what may be an ill-advised photo call until I see the documentary, but the KKK comparison is valid and the continued attempts to confer respectability on the OO bemuse me.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Rossfan on July 13, 2018, 09:50:20 AM
Whatever about Dublin 4 O'Driscoll did the knuckledraggers manage to burn any of their Hell holes ?

BOD isn't from D4. His parents are doctors, does that make him posh? I've doctors in my family and we aren't posh.

Franko

Quote from: Hardy on July 13, 2018, 10:07:14 AM
At least nobody has (yet) trotted out the abhorrent suggested equivalence of the OO and the GAA. I'll reserve judgement on what may be an ill-advised photo call until I see the documentary, but the KKK comparison is valid and the continued attempts to confer respectability on the OO bemuse me.

Sums it up perfectly as far as I can see.

Milltown Row2

The OO is a dying breed, bit like the KKK...membership falling every year and less and less people interested in their views...I wouldn't be worried about them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walt Jabsco

Are they a dying breed? They probably are.  I was on Sash Watch last night viewing the highlights to see could I recognize anyone. But what stood out for me was a lot of the interviewees were at pains to point out the growth in the number of lodges as if to give the impression that all was healthy in the OO this may not be the case.

seafoid

One of the things King Billy fought against was the divine right of Kings which is the right of the king to make up the law to suit himself. And Trump with his presidential pardon is aiming for something similar. We are living in a very strange time.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Walt Jabsco on July 13, 2018, 12:02:13 PM
Are they a dying breed? They probably are.  I was on Sash Watch last night viewing the highlights to see could I recognize anyone. But what stood out for me was a lot of the interviewees were at pains to point out the growth in the number of lodges as if to give the impression that all was healthy in the OO this may not be the case.

Take the bands out of the equation and you will see the number of Lol 'walkers' and you will see the numbers dwindling each year.

Walt Jabsco

Agreed that the number of walkers seems to be dwindling I seen some LOLs have about half a dozen or so behind the banner on the flip side Ballyveagh (Kilkeel) had some 240 behind their banner.
However a lot of the band members would also be OO members but a lot don't wear their regalia while playing in the band although some do this would put a more realistic view of the membership numbers of the OO if they all wore sashes.

Not far from me there are two OO halls that are about a mile from one another on the same road - both are currently being renovated/extended probably from the "community" funding promoted by the  DUP former minister of DCAL. There are probably more of these projects underway but the close proximity of these two stood out for me