Club Down "Standing Down"

Started by Leo, March 05, 2008, 09:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

"I cant understand the below - surely we need training facilities / central  development ground etc
when club down has been so good, why oh why would they let it stand down??

Latest News: Committee to Stand Down

Statement from Sean O''Neill, Chairman

Following the successful completion of the redevelopment of Park Esler, the Committee of Club Down has undertaken discussions with the officers of the County Committee to determine what role Club Down might now play for the future benefit of the GAA in the county. We have not identified a specific role that we feel we could undertake at this stage and therefore, at our last meeting, it was agreed in principle to wind up our activity as at 31st March 2008. The officers of the Committee were authorised by that meeting to prepare the final accounts and make suitable interim and transitional arrangements, including the disposal of assets. Any surplus funds will be made available to the county's designated Park Esler account. This will come as a disappointment to many of our sponsors and members whose loyalty to our efforts has been the sound foundation on which our success was built, but it may be that a suitable project or role will emerge in the future for a re-constituted Club Down or similar body; however, in the meantime we have decided to stand down. I want to emphasise that we have enjoyed the best of working relations with the county officers and they have our full support going forward. A final statement of account will be sent to all members and sponsors in due course and the co-ordinator will also be writing with details of our transitional arrangements. The Club Down Committee has worked extremely hard over the past five years to deliver the new stadium that is Park Esler, and we are proud that, with your invaluable support, we helped to make it happen. It is a worthy testament to your generous contribution and a significant investment in the future of the GAA in Down. Thank you again most sincerely for the important part you have played. "

A major set-back for Down GAA and it seems the county board have not done enough to keep this most succesful unit in place. They have restored credibility in Down with their fntastic work on Park Esler and we then let them slip away? Incredible.
Fierce tame altogether

Leo

Surprised at the lack of interest in this thread, especially in Down, so I'm bringing it back up the page.
Fierce tame altogether

amallon

I have to have to admit being a little ignorant about what exactly club Down do or did.  Were they primarily a fund raising group or did the take a more active role in project managing the marshes development?  What sort of money did they raise?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Leo

Quote from: amallon on March 05, 2008, 04:08:05 PM
I have to have to admit being a little ignorant about what exactly club Down do or did.  Were they primarily a fund raising group or did the take a more active role in project managing the marshes development?  What sort of money did they raise?

Don't know exactly as they seemed to keep a low profile but I'm told in the club that only for them the Marshes was a dead duck that had the county in big debt, even though the clubs had contributed big money in the past. It seems Club Down took on to finish it as a separate project and have done a great job too.

Maybe a bit more information from the county board about their role would help us all and why they are now considered surplus to requirements.
Fierce tame altogether