St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

magpie seanie

Was in Markievicz this evening for the U-16B championship final between ourselves and Curry. Delighted that we won it but it was touch and go for a long time. For the evening that was in it the game was a good one and was enjoyed by the support from both clubs. A well worked goal for us midway through the second half proved the difference. So a great turnaround in fortunes for this squad and credit to their mentors for all the work that brought them on. Earlier in the season the club were fined by Coiste na n-óg over a game involving this team and the wrong person sending an email but rather than be perturbed the lads kept plugging away and got their reward. An awful pity then that no-one from Coiste na n-óg thought it important enough to actually attend the game and present the cup to the winners. A member of the county board from our club got a phone call ten minutes before the game asking him to do the presentation (good job he was there). Completely scandalous in my book and I think in the eyes of any fair minded person. Unfortunately thats the reality of Sligo GAA on the ground these days. Never happened in my time playing underage football and I should know - we did win quite a lot in those days! They fine you for a slip up involving a league game in Spring and then don't bother to turn up to present a championship cup. You couldn't make it up. I know this post will be read by a person very close to the higher echelons and it will be relayed back but frankly I'd say it to their faces anyway so it makes no difference. Its just when people are going on about great progress being made in Sligo GAA they need to have he full picture.

sprinter

I would agree totally with your post. Some of the stuff that's going on is unbelievable, take our ¼ with Coolera, we got fined for togging out more than 24 players, now how can you tell a lad that has been training since February and puts in as much work as anyone that he can't tog out because of some bureaucratic dreams up a rule its unreal. In the same game the Coolera subs had to run to dressing rooms and get a stretcher and take Costello of the pitch, it's a disgrace. Were are all the Sligo stewards you see up at Conaught championship games when there is games on in the park , no where because there's nothing out of it for them.  But the County Board will be calling up the club again in December looking for our pitch for senior training and proposing deals and pay offs for its use. They should be told were to go. Again on Sunday we were fined again for infringements it's a joke. And I heard that the main county board official reporter of infringements attacked an umpire after at a recent ¼ final game in the park, now that's what you're up against.   

One final point Sligo club football is probably the cleanest club football in the country, you rarely hear of pitch invasions, referees getting hit, mass brawls, etc etc... and we still have these official's on big day match's causing resentment, and bitterness. Observations would indicate there's a serious incident not far away and the main protagonists will be the official's.

On football matters we played badly and still won against Ballymote which has its positives and negatives. My opinion is Ballymote were over trained and maybe peaked in May/ June. Here's hoping for a good final. Side point you have to take your hat off to the Duffy's brothers ok they might not get it right all the time, but they will rarely have an over bearing influence on the game or favor one side to an extreme.     

SLIGONIAN

Youd think the county board would encourage more players togging out, jees i'll be happy man the day our senior have more than 24 lads togging out. Who watches for this rubbish anyway, whos the clown watches watching for these infringements etc.. its so petty, and an email sent by the wrong person ffs that takes the biscuit. Cant common sense ever prevail with these clowns. Dont give me the rules are rules crap, some of the rules are bullshit and everyone knows that.

I agree with sprinter, i was impressed by Michael duffys handling of the harps geevagh match, he didnt fall for taylors antics but even still taylor shone through in the end without the help of the ref. But if Sligo county board continue to give big games to the likes of o donnell, henry and keaveney there is a disaster waiting to happen. Im hoping one of the duffys gets the county final, when is it?

Any word on Costellos injury?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

I also heard that both teams were made to enter Markievicz Park via the lower gate and walk in the pouring rain round to the dressingrooms before the game. Top gate wasn't opened. Its as if they begrudge people getting to use the pitch. I just don't understand this. Playing underage finals in Markievicz is supposed to be a reward and encouragement for young players but obviously they're not the important ones.

Westie

I can confirm Seanie that the previous Wednesday evening all teams for the hurling u12 finals had to go in at the traffic lights and carry all that equipment. A very serious call from a hurling exec to Mark Park committee meant we could go out the back gate to where the cars were parked in the first place.

I defy them to fine us with these rules (lads not getting a kickaround at ht ffs). For one or our games both teams had to provide the umpires, and another despite us putting in the team for the teamsheet, the previous weeks teamsheet was used. These are the rules that make you not happy with the way the GAA is going. My father could not believe it on SAt and Sun, as he said it is nice to see some of the old stagers are still at it and to point out the young fellas to keep an eye on.
Another one that really struck me was at the AI hurling final, was in the cathedral of Croke Park for 12. All bars open with the queuing systems in place for the rush later. Plenty of bars(surprised how many), then at 1 lads with rucksacks full of a certain brand of beer were setup all around the back of the Hogan(inside the stadium). I am not giving out about drink or beer (or the hotdogs) but does anyone see the absolute irony that the GAA and all co bds now have an Alcohol abuse rep (might be the wrong title). Trying to run with the hare and hunt with the hounds. Just accept it  - drinking is part of sport either in sponsorship, celebration or loss, just out for a days entertainment (which was massive that day) and the individual is responsible for their own behaviour.

SLIGONIAN

I forgot to say this the last day and i dont care what anyone thinks, i thought it was disgrace that Kilglass gaels from Roscommon doing the rounds in Sligo for fundriasing to try and win this competition with Kellogs. They were going around preaching about supporting Connacht and what not, and when this was said to my face, i returned with i only support Sligo, the man looked at me aghast. This 100,000 goes straight to one club and benefits that club only, in fact as we are in competition with Roscommon, your support our competitors if you help them imo. Why did Markievicz park commitee let them in?

Id like to wish Michael Duffy all the best on Sunday, he did a sound job in the semi on sunday and looks to have improved alot over the yrs. Hopefully see 2 cracking games.

twotwocharlie

if anyone has a spare ticket for sunday would you contact me by pm

SLIGONIAN

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=17423.0

Hard to believe a club with the connections of marys couldnt get into Croke Park.

Great day yday though in Croke Park, 2 fantastic games. We are a fair bit away from that standard imo, in terms of physicality we need to step it up. Met some great GAA people on the train from various counties.

SLIGONIAN

County Final is at 4.30 on Sunday and is preceded by the Minor A final at 2.15 according to the Sligogaa website.

Our Relegation final is fixed for 13.00 in Shamrock Gaels park coola on Sunday, that venue choice is an absolute joke. Idiots in the CCC bringing us and calry up that far. The only consolation is marty duffy is the ref and at least we wont have o donnell who nearly caused a riot and was lucky the game ended in a draw.

Best of luck to St Molaise Gaels.

SLIGONIAN

Harrison and Kelly given Allstar nominations. Congrats to both. Personnally i rate Donovan ahead of Harrison defensively, Harrison is probably slightly better going forward. As i prefer my defenders to defend i would of given the nod to Donovan.

Cregg and Shine got nominations aswell. I thinks its a joke Cregg got a nom ahead of Costello in the HF line. Cregg was anonamous against Cork and ros played london and leitrim, so he had one stormer against us a team caught on the hop and he gets one. Costello excelled in the NFL, especially in the final, then played well against Mayo, Galway and Roscommon.

By the way the Connacht Championship draw is on RTE on October 7th i think.

magpie seanie

We all know that allstar noms and awards are questionable at best but I would have to say Charlie should have been nominated a few times before now. Happy for the two of them but these awards are given out for performances in Aug/Sep.

Not sure if I'll make county final. I've suspected Harps would lose nearly every game they have played so far and am the same for sunday. The two teams in the final just have a little edge on all the rest in terms of knowing how to win when the chips are down. That's why it would be foolish to bet against either but I think Tourlestrane will take it.

The minor final is very interesting. I think Farnans have only lost one game all year (they were somehow in the B league!) but I know Coolaney/Mullinabreena are brining through some serious talent. I'll go for Farnans, just, in a thriller.

Mano

The county final this weekend has a 2 familiar foes battling it out. Both teams know each other so well and i expect the game to follow a similar pattern as last years final - low scoring, tactical and hard fought. Both teams are very strong defensively and recent weather conditions and slower pitches both sets of forwards will do well to accumulate a high score.
Harps will not want to lose another county final to their rivals and won't lack for motivation. On paper however Tourlestrane have the better team but games are not won on paper as Sligo found out earlier this year.
Harps are too reliant on Paul Taylor for their scores and after last years successful marking job Brian Kennedy should pick him up again. Tourlestrane also have a lot of firepower and experience on their substitutes bench and if the game is in the balance in the last 15 these lads can make a difference. Tourlestrane to win by 3.

SLIGONIAN

Unfortently wont make any of the games today due to flu, Fair play to St Molaise Gaels today and retaining our senor status, 1-12 to 1-6, from the various phonecalls it was an easy win, we missed a peno and lots of pts chances. Vital win for us and hopefully the club can move on now to the next level. I wish Calry a speedy return to senior in Sligo aswell.

Congrats to Coolaney/Mulinbreena, winning the Minor 1-10 ro 0-10 in what im told was a great game of football and credit to Sligo GAA.

SLIGONIAN

Eastern Harps 0-13 Tourlestrane 0-10 FT,

Congrats to Harps, Tommy Breheny gave Michael Doddy moftm....interesting listening to the Harps  lads talking about 30 players at training, 15v15 training matches, intermediate lads pushing them hard makes a huge difference.

Hopefully Harps will represent Sligo well, we play the Roscommon champs away.

Shrewdness

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 26, 2010, 06:05:51 PM
Eastern Harps 0-13 Tourlestrane 0-10 FT,

Congrats to Harps, Tommy Breheny gave Michael Doddy moftm....interesting listening to the Harps  lads talking about 30 players at training, 15v15 training matches, intermediate lads pushing them hard makes a huge difference.

Hopefully Harps will represent Sligo well, we play the Roscommon champs away.

That will be St.Brigid's in Kiltoom. They beat Elphin 0-14 to 0-9 in the Final today, with Frankie Dolan man of the match.