Ulster U20 and Minor Championships 2024

Started by Captain Obvious, March 22, 2023, 05:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: JoG2 on April 26, 2023, 04:43:32 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 26, 2023, 04:23:13 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 26, 2023, 03:34:45 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 26, 2023, 03:24:16 PM
Does Derry seniors need to be relying on teenagers to win championship games? I'm sure Derry's objective is to reach another senior All Ireland semi final and that can be done without winning Ulster this year more so than last year.  U20 final tonight is knock out and should Derry win it's a decent opportunity to win All Ireland, not allowing your better players play lessen that opportunity.

In 2018 Kerry choose to play David Clifford with the seniors instead of the U20s. Had he played for the U20s I'd have no doubt they would have won that All Ireland, Kerry seniors made their exit at the last eight stage a decision that was worth doing?

Right now the answer is yes - otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. For years we were asleep at the wheel and only from Glass/McGuigan's age group down have we consistently got things right at minor level and started producing players. I'll refer to my previous statement - underage is not about a win at all costs mentality!

Does not speak volumes then.  Winning mentality can also be built up at U20 level especially if All Ireland title is won.

What are you blethering on about? If they are deemed to be good enough to be in the senior team / squad, then their age is totally irrelevant.

You only have to look at club football in Derry to know there should be enough players aged 21 to early 30s to fill in for any teenagers until the U20 championship is over. Something is fundamentally wrong if you are relying on those young lads to win championship matches and Sunday isn't a knock out tie.

JoG2

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 26, 2023, 05:02:40 PM
Does Derry seniors need to be relying on teenagers to win championship games? I'm sure Derry's objective is to reach another senior All Ireland semi final and that can be done without winning Ulster this year more so than last year.  U20 final tonight is knock out and should Derry win it's a decent opportunity to win All Ireland, not allowing your better players play lessen that opportunity.

In 2018 Kerry choose to play David Clifford with the seniors instead of the U20s. Had he played for the U20s I'd have no doubt they would have won that All Ireland, Kerry seniors made their exit at the last eight stage a decision that was worth doing?

Right now the answer is yes - otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. For years we were asleep at the wheel and only from Glass/McGuigan's age group down have we consistently got things right at minor level and started producing players. I'll refer to my previous statement - underage is not about a win at all costs mentality!

Does not speak volumes then.  Winning mentality can also be built up at U20 level especially if All Ireland title is won.

What are you blethering on about? If they are deemed to be good enough to be in the senior team / squad, then their age is totally irrelevant.

You only have to look at club football in Derry to know there should be enough players aged 21 to early 30s to fill in for any teenagers until the U20 championship is over. Something is fundamentally wrong if you are relying on those young lads to win championship matches and Sunday isn't a knock out tie.

Right, so you have a age limit, no younger than 21. What about Monaghan in the their senior game, what nobody older than 33? Must be Monaghan men aged 33 and under and not have to be relying on older men. Every county has to cut their cloth accordingly at any given time , obviously!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: JoG2 on April 26, 2023, 05:08:23 PM

Right, so you have a age limit, no younger than 21. What about Monaghan in the their senior game, what nobody older than 33? Must be Monaghan men aged 33 and under and not have to be relying on older men. Every county has to cut their cloth accordingly at any given time , obviously!

And i was the one blethering..

Blowitupref

Should Derry reach the AI final in the U20 championship it will be finished two weeks before Derrys All-Ireland senior group stage commences. I think with that in mind i think any U20s on the senior panel should be allowed to play for the U20s
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Walter Cronc

If you actually knew anything about Derry club football you would realise that infact the players in that age bracket aren't there. Gallagher trawled the county when he took over and many players didn't stick around. Slaughtneil have dominated for a long time and Glen are now taking over that mantle. Below that is Marafelt and Lavey then the drop off is vast! It's not like Derry club football of the 90s with 5-6 top sides. We don't have the depth of Tyrone or Armagh. That will change in the next few years but for now we need 1-2 excellent 19 year olds.

Dabh

I'm fairly sure that Sean O'Shea would also have been the age for that 2018 Kerry U20 team  but played for seniors instead. 
Clifford was also u20 in 2019 ( he never played a single game for the Kerry U20s)
Mark O'Connor  was also kept with the seniors in 2017, but never played a minute.

Jack O'Connor was manager in 2018 and there was a fair bit of grumbling about it after Kidare beat them by 2.

Cunny Funt

Derry won the Ulster U20 title in 2018, Ulster Minor (U18) titles in 2015,2017 how many of those players are currently on the senior panel?  All of those players would be aged 23 to  26 now. Around that time Derry also reached and lost a few other underage Ulster finals.

jmcgdoire

I can understand resting McEvoy because of his importance to the Senior team. Largely due to his position what what Derry needs right now. but I really believe Lachlan Murray should be out there tonight. a player with his talent can be enough to win a game at this level and it doesnt look like he's expected to play a large role against Monaghan is it? a bit of game time tonight could only be good for the lad.

tbrick18

Can the game be streamed anywhere?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 26, 2023, 07:00:21 PM
Can the game be streamed anywhere?

Tg4 lad

screenexile

Ref very sore on Derry here should have had at least 2 scoreable frees already!

screenexile

Proper 'modern' game of football so far...

Blowitupref

15 minutes played Down 0-1 Derry 0-2
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Estimator

Ref letting things go at the minute. No handy frees being given.
Ulster League Champions 2009

grounded

Handy free there for Derry. Ref fell for the old hold onto the arm and fall tactic.