Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vallankumous

Quote from: general_lee on November 03, 2017, 10:43:47 AM

I'll sit and criticise them all day, where would you like me to start? Plenty of IRA actions deserve scrutiny.

Start anywhere you like. It'll make great reading. I love discussion forum for this reason, lists of criticism.

JimStynes

I would say most clubs in Ulster would have taken the same approach as what Creggan did at that time. Creggan are a great club and have made unbelievable improvements over the last 20 years and the work and fundraising for their club and charity that goes in is unreal. I think they raised 30 or 40k a while back for a hospital? It's a shame that they're getting their good name dragged through the mud since the article came out. I feel very sorry for Peadar Heffron but he put his club in an awful position and he was extremely naive to think it would have been any different.

Rossfan

So it's all Peadar's fault really? ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

longballin

Quote from: Rossfan on November 03, 2017, 11:11:56 AM

Situation and baggage to police is very different here than Roscommon so has been very difficult for nationalists to embrace a new police service and often not convinced it is new rather than more of the same...

vallankumous

There's as much left out here as included making it very difficult to get a decent discussion.

There were many people on the run, there were many cases still open and there were many people the PSNI still wanted to 'get' regardless of the peace process.

There are many things the RUC would never know but might not be uncommon knowledge among republican areas and communities. Even after the change there was still arrests and harassment. There were still political arrests being made (usually near an election) and arrests for historic attacks. There were raids happening for political purposes. Now it went from republican areas being a place of safety and comfort from the prying eyes of the RUC to being a place where there were no secrets. Anyone who joined the PSNi not only left themselves vulnerable to their local community but also to the pressure that can come from the top of a very bitter, angry, murderous, politicised police force.

i have no doubt there was pressure put on new recruits to take advantage of local knowledge .

Things were pretty fecked up all over the place.

JimStynes

It's certainly not Creggan's fault.

general_lee

Quote from: vallankumous on November 03, 2017, 11:05:23 AM

I'll sit and criticise them all day, where would you like me to start? Plenty of IRA actions deserve scrutiny.

Start anywhere you like. It'll make great reading. I love discussion forum for this reason, lists of criticism.
Well I'll await the Shinner basher first and let him have first choice..

Spike

Joe has milked this situation for all the attention that he could possibly get out of it.  A totally one sided story, devoid of any counter commentary by creggan club members or community, and has now perpetuated this by a further article. If he wanted attention, then he got it.     Now Creggan Club & community's image is ruined unfairly, GAA's image is tarnished unfairly and as a result, Peadar, in addition to his horrible and unjustifiable injuries has now burned any bridges he may have had witht he community of his raising.   All in all a shocking piece of journalism.

Joe has taken advantage of a man who readily admits his bitterness (understandably) for sensationalist journalism. 

Joe could have used this article as a way of showing how the GAA has moved on from those early days of PSNI and scrapping of R21. Helping Peadar reintegrate to the community and how errors had been made, and the overcoming of wrongs.   Instead, its a muckraking exercise designed to feed the anti-republican/nationalist masses and court controversy.  Joe is the only one who walks away from this tragedy with a smile on his face.

He claims to love the GAA, well he did more damage to it this week than anyone who has gone before.

Dire Ear

Good stuff Spike.  Brolly was , and remains a gobshite. Does nothing to help the situation

T Fearon

If people were charged with this attack,Brolly would have no problem accepting a fat legal aid fee and doing his best to get them off the hook

screenexile

Quote from: T Fearon on November 03, 2017, 01:15:27 PM
If people were charged with this attack,Brolly would have no problem accepting a fat legal aid fee and doing his best to get them off the hook

Just in case you don't know Tony here is the wikipedia article on Criminal Justice so you have a bit of an idea how the system works . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_justice

AQMP

Quote from: T Fearon on November 03, 2017, 01:15:27 PM

One of your funnier posts.

T Fearon

Ok so no Solicitor/Barrister in history,knowing full well instinctively that he or she was defending people as guilty as hell,tried nevertheless to defend them against natural justice,for a fat fee?

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 03, 2017, 12:54:21 AM
Quote from: randomusername on November 02, 2017, 09:42:19 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on November 02, 2017, 09:00:42 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 02, 2017, 02:32:44 PM
Brolly? Was his parents not members of a party that approved of the actual killing of Northern Police Officers not all that long ago?

Bit of a stretch there T. Can't recall ever hearing Sinn Fein approve of a Police Officer's killing...... FYI when making a bold statement like the above ''Was his'' should be replaced by '' Were his''.

Not so sure about that one. For example, on his willingness to kill RUC or UDR men, Gerry Adams said "If my role lay within the IRA and within an armed struggle, I would have no compunction at all." Back in 1983 apparently.

Sinn Fein supporters during the troubles supported all the activities of the IRA. They supported the murder of what they classed as legitimate targets and made excuses for the IRA when they murdered innocent civilians.
I have never heard a Sinn Fein supporter criticise the IRA in any shape or form

+1 but I am not a SF supporter.

crookes

Quote from: Spike on November 03, 2017, 01:00:05 PM
Joe has milked this situation for all the attention that he could possibly get out of it.  A totally one sided story, devoid of any counter commentary by creggan club members or community, and has now perpetuated this by a further article. If he wanted attention, then he got it.     Now Creggan Club & community's image is ruined unfairly, GAA's image is tarnished unfairly and as a result, Peadar, in addition to his horrible and unjustifiable injuries has now burned any bridges he may have had witht he community of his raising.   All in all a shocking piece of journalism.

Joe has taken advantage of a man who readily admits his bitterness (understandably) for sensationalist journalism. 

Joe could have used this article as a way of showing how the GAA has moved on from those early days of PSNI and scrapping of R21. Helping Peadar reintegrate to the community and how errors had been made, and the overcoming of wrongs.   Instead, its a muckraking exercise designed to feed the anti-republican/nationalist masses and court controversy.  Joe is the only one who walks away from this tragedy with a smile on his face.

He claims to love the GAA, well he did more damage to it this week than anyone who has gone before.

Fully agree with you spike.

Brolly has no limits it seems http://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/11/03/news/peadar-heffron-joe-brolly-asks-creggan-club-where-is-your-courage--1178516/
Where Crookes is, there is light.