Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: The Stallion on April 05, 2017, 12:11:19 PM
Lol at demanding he should stop saying he met people. Wise up.

;)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 04, 2017, 10:12:40 AM
Before Brolly made it onto the national media I remember meeting a few of his old Derry teammates one time in Quinns and they were telling me even back then how he loves the limelight and will do or say anything to get a rise for the craic and he especially loved winding up the Tyrone boys. (like many of here of course)

I feel that ever since he's got onto RTE and now the newspapers that he has a much larger platform to boost that ego and he really doesn't care who he upsets or what he says. He will dismiss it afterwards as "Ah sure it's just a bit of craic lads, chill out".
That's basically it. He loves the attention.
He does have a couple of themes that he keeps watered as well.
And at the end of the day the RTE stuff is mostly nonsense.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

Quote from: vallankumous on April 04, 2017, 08:49:20 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on April 04, 2017, 08:33:14 AM

Leaving Joe aside for the minute, is Clerkin advocating journalists no longer protecting their sources? Great move for a lad looking to get involved in that side too   :-[

I'd say it is highlighted as it is very common. It could be good advice from Clerkin. In order for Brolly to keep his readers faithful he might need a better balance between on the record reports and off the record reports. It's an ethical conundrum. Does Brolly hold back on stories to get the balance right and receive more faith from readers on all stories or does he write every story for the sake of the story rather than the faith in it? This could also impact on his sources. Can I tell Brolly everything knowing he'll protect me as a source or do I tell him what I want published for the same reason?

there a big difference between some one protecting a source when receiving information that will save lives or make the country a better place, and  what a possibly imaginary friend's opinion is, which just happen to back up you own vendetta against someone or team
the guy is a coward , who may not be as well off as people think
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

JoG2

Quote from: rosnarun on April 05, 2017, 02:37:24 PM

Leaving Joe aside for the minute, is Clerkin advocating journalists no longer protecting their sources? Great move for a lad looking to get involved in that side too   :-[

I'd say it is highlighted as it is very common. It could be good advice from Clerkin. In order for Brolly to keep his readers faithful he might need a better balance between on the record reports and off the record reports. It's an ethical conundrum. Does Brolly hold back on stories to get the balance right and receive more faith from readers on all stories or does he write every story for the sake of the story rather than the faith in it? This could also impact on his sources. Can I tell Brolly everything knowing he'll protect me as a source or do I tell him what I want published for the same reason?

there a big difference between some one protecting a source when receiving information that will save lives or make the country a better place, and  what a possibly imaginary friend's opinion is, which just happen to back up you own vendetta against someone or team

;D

You're taking the man way too seriously if you're resorting to this kinda nonsense

The Stallion

"the guy is a coward , who may not be as well off as people think"

Lol, what a clown, Brolly clearly gotten under his skin.

Franko

Quote from: rosnarun on April 05, 2017, 02:37:24 PM

Lol... settle petal...  ;D ;D

redhandefender

Quote from: The Stallion on April 05, 2017, 03:05:43 PM
"the guy is a coward , who may not be as well off as people think"

Lol, what a clown, Brolly clearly gotten under his skin.

He is right though, if brolly is willing to go low!

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Jinxy on April 05, 2017, 09:53:22 AM

No, he should just stop saying, "I was talking to a (insert county of manager Joe doesn't like here) player, and he was telling me..."
Where is he meeting these lads?
Is there a coffee shop in Belfast they all go to hang out?
He does it with such regularity that most people don't believe him anymore.
The idea that desperately unhappy county players are opening their hearts to Joe at every available opportunity is just not plausible.
Particularly in this day and age, and particularly with someone like Joe who you could actually imagine naming you on live television.
"I was talking to Jamie Clarke and he told me he'd like to pour a skinny latte over Geezer's head."

There is one on the Ormeau Road in Belfast where you will regularly find Joe especially on a Saturday morning for late breakfast.

The Stallion

It's all gone a bit 3am girls in here.

Beffs

No, he should just stop saying, "I was talking to a (insert county of manager Joe doesn't like here) player, and he was telling me..."
The idea that desperately unhappy county players are opening their hearts to Joe at every available opportunity is just not plausible.
Particularly in this day and age, and particularly with someone like Joe who you could actually imagine naming you on live television.
"I was talking to Jamie Clarke and he told me he'd like to pour a skinny latte over Geezer's head."

That's the thing. Every other column and every other Sunday Game appearance, he is bringing up some person, player, manager, former player or team that gave him some "unique" insight into the state of the game. None of these stories can ever be verified. I have long, long since stopped believing him, if I ever did in the first place.

At some stage, his editor should be doing his job, and getting him to put his money where his mouth is and name and shame, or just shut up. I just don't believe a word out of his mouth anymrore. Every other GAA journalist out there (both the former players/managers and "proper" journalists) are able to get their point across, without having to resort to all this makey uppy tittle tattle, week in and week out. If Brolly isn't able to see how much it is cheapening his articles, his editor should be.

haranguerer

If you don't believe him then whats the issue?

BennyHarp

Quote from: haranguerer on April 06, 2017, 10:05:13 AM

Other people do - that's the issue.
That was never a square ball!!

Franko

Quote from: Beffs on April 05, 2017, 07:00:51 PM

That's the thing. Every other column and every other Sunday Game appearance, he is bringing up some person, player, manager, former player or team that gave him some "unique" insight into the state of the game. None of these stories can ever be verified. I have long, long since stopped believing him, if I ever did in the first place.

At some stage, his editor should be doing his job, and getting him to put his money where his mouth is and name and shame, or just shut up. I just don't believe a word out of his mouth anymrore. Every other GAA journalist out there (both the former players/managers and "proper" journalists) are able to get their point across, without having to resort to all this makey uppy tittle tattle, week in and week out. If Brolly isn't able to see how much it is cheapening his articles, his editor should be.

With the amount of interest Brolly generates from his articles, I'd say his editor would be perfectly happy from him to continue exactly as he has been.  Even take this forum as a guide.  Has there been a thread about any other journalist/pundit that's even made 20 pages, never mind 200?

Beffs

Because I enjoy reading intelligent, well written, well thought out, plausible journalism. Mad, eh ?  ::)

As for his editors being happy at all the controversial chatter he generates....fair enough. But If I wanted to read that kind of shite, I'd just go out and buy a tabloid rag.

Franko

Quote from: Beffs on April 06, 2017, 10:41:10 AM

Because I enjoy reading intelligent, well written, well thought out, plausible journalism. Mad, eh ?  ::)

As for his editors being happy at all the controversial chatter he generates....fair enough. But If I wanted to read that kind of shite, I'd just go out and buy a tabloid rag.

Why read the articles if they annoy you so much?  You've said that "Every other GAA journalist out there" can get their point across without resorting to the things that cause you such angst so just read their articles instead.  Seems weird that you would voluntarily subject yourself to such mental torture.