Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: vallankumous on April 04, 2017, 08:11:18 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on April 03, 2017, 04:00:24 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 03, 2017, 03:12:09 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on April 03, 2017, 02:58:45 PM

Mickey can rest easy - he'll be back on Armagh next weekend!

I wonder would anyone just say to him "You know Joe, anyone with an ounce of wit thinks you're telling lies and make all these confidential stories up"

Do you think he's making this up? Have you been to a Senior Football training session recently? It'd bore you to tears very few managers know how to instil enjoyment into the game anymore!
Perhaps, but if you were one of Tyrone's top players and Joe Brolly asked you how training was going, would you tell him the truth?

I'd fill him full of nonsense in the knowledge that he'd have it in one of his columns.

Joe is highly trained and skilled at asking questions that suit his agenda and getting answers that do too. A young lad thinking Joe Brolly was on his side would be easy pickings.
Perhaps  you're right, or maybe even a young lad would see Joe coming and have a bit of craic with him.

I mean I was talking to a couple of lads on the panel and they told me the training sessions in Tyrone are very enjoyable.

Jinxy

I was talking to a KGB double agent in Chadwicks on Thomas St. and he reckons Trump will get the boot before the end of the year.
He was in to get himself a heated towel rail.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Don't know what all the hullabaloo is about.

Player(s) do not enjoy training!  

Wow never heard that being said before! :P

I thought that was the norm. Any player I've ever known, hated training.

It was always about playing (real) games.

The Subbie

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 04, 2017, 09:51:40 AM
Clerkin has being trying to call Brolly out for years now. Wants to engage him in a spat to launch/further his media career. Brolly, for once, has refused to engage as its obvious what Clerkins agenda is.

Nail on head here.
Dick NEVER engages with anyone on the twitter unless they are a journo or a former or current county footballer.
It's quiet transparent what he is doing but if you are on Twitter throwing out your views on all things GAA at least engage with people who in almost all cases do so with respect and thought.

Dick clearly hankers after a biggerr slice of the media pie than he is currently getting and rightly or wrongly sees a Brolly "takedown" as the easiest conduit for this.

Brolly is an accomplished media operator with the oratorical skills to hold people no matter if they like him or not, usually not

Dick on the other hand , to me anyway , is better with a pen than a microphone. I get the feeling that Dick bows this and it rankles him more than a little.

In any case it is enjoyable watching Dick try his best to engineer a showdown!

BennyHarp

Quote from: The Subbie on April 05, 2017, 02:48:04 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 04, 2017, 09:51:40 AM
Clerkin has being trying to call Brolly out for years now. Wants to engage him in a spat to launch/further his media career. Brolly, for once, has refused to engage as its obvious what Clerkins agenda is.

Nail on head here.
Dick NEVER engages with anyone on the twitter unless they are a journo or a former or current county footballer.
It's quiet transparent what he is doing but if you are on Twitter throwing out your views on all things GAA at least engage with people who in almost all cases do so with respect and thought.

Dick clearly hankers after a biggerr slice of the media pie than he is currently getting and rightly or wrongly sees a Brolly "takedown" as the easiest conduit for this.

Brolly is an accomplished media operator with the oratorical skills to hold people no matter if they like him or not, usually not

Dick on the other hand , to me anyway , is better with a pen than a microphone. I get the feeling that Dick bows this and it rankles him more than a little.

In any case it is enjoyable watching Dick try his best to engineer a showdown!

Or maybe he's just calling bullshit on Brolly, which he is perfectly entitled to do.
That was never a square ball!!

The Stallion

Clerkin clearly desperate for a slice of the attention Brolly gets. Unfortunately for Dick he lacks the intelligence and wit which make Brolly so watchable (and readable), whether you agree with his opinions or not.

Jinxy

Whatever about Clerkin's motivation, on this issue he's 100% correct.

haranguerer

Quote from: vallankumous on April 04, 2017, 08:49:20 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on April 04, 2017, 08:33:14 AM

Leaving Joe aside for the minute, is Clerkin advocating journalists no longer protecting their sources? Great move for a lad looking to get involved in that side too   :-[

I'd say it is highlighted as it is very common. It could be good advice from Clerkin. In order for Brolly to keep his readers faithful he might need a better balance between on the record reports and off the record reports. It's an ethical conundrum. Does Brolly hold back on stories to get the balance right and receive more faith from readers on all stories or does he write every story for the sake of the story rather than the faith in it? This could also impact on his sources. Can I tell Brolly everything knowing he'll protect me as a source or do I tell him what I want published for the same reason?

I think you're taking Joes stories a little too seriously. These are opinion pieces on an amateur sport, not watergate. As for the bit I highlighted, I really don't think Dick is qualified to give anyone advice here, and certainly not brolly

haranguerer

Quote from: Jinxy on April 05, 2017, 09:18:55 AM

In what respect? That Joe should tell us who he has been talking to? Rubbish.

As people are realising more and more now, papers don't report fact. If someone doesn't have the intelligence to apply their own filter to everything they read, then they have bigger things to worry about than whether Joe actually was talking to someone in the Tyrone camp or not.

Franko

Joe has everyone where he wants them.  He's not one of these "celebs" who depends on being liked for income.  He doesn't give one flyin fcuk about being liked.  His money's made, and he's now having a bit of craic winding everyone up, talking about GAA and getting a few beer tokens for the pleasure (what's not to like!).  And he's having a whale of a time at it.  Like him or not, ye're all talking about him.  And as haranguerer said, most of you are taking him far too seriously.

Jinxy

Quote from: haranguerer on April 05, 2017, 09:34:31 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 05, 2017, 09:18:55 AM

In what respect? That Joe should tell us who he has been talking to? Rubbish.

As people are realising more and more now, papers don't report fact. If someone doesn't have the intelligence to apply their own filter to everything they read, then they have bigger things to worry about than whether Joe actually was talking to someone in the Tyrone camp or not.

No, he should just stop saying, "I was talking to a (insert county of manager Joe doesn't like here) player, and he was telling me..."
Where is he meeting these lads?
Is there a coffee shop in Belfast they all go to hang out?
He does it with such regularity that most people don't believe him anymore.
The idea that desperately unhappy county players are opening their hearts to Joe at every available opportunity is just not plausible.
Particularly in this day and age, and particularly with someone like Joe who you could actually imagine naming you on live television.
"I was talking to Jamie Clarke and he told me he'd like to pour a skinny latte over Geezer's head."

redhandefender

vallankumous

I was chatting a Tyrone player who said training was grand. I asked about who might have been chatting Brolly. He didn't know but said it must have been one of the lads that don't enjoy training.

Jinxy

One of the subs I bet.

The Stallion

Lol at demanding he should stop saying he met people. Wise up.