Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Joe would make Ulster GAA great again.
Save Ulster from entrenched OCD!!

Seany

He's the GAA's Piers Morgan and Katie Hopkins. As if Mickey Harte hasn't enough to contend with on this day of all days when his beautiful daughter's violent death is all over the news again and here we have this self obsessed p***k attacking his managerial methods. Brolly is a bad man. Hides behind his Jolly Brolly persona but deep down he's a hateful, jealous, spiteful individual.

southtyronegael

brolly is completely right on this one. i find it depressin watchin tyrone play so can only imagine how depressing training must be. harte out.

Itchy

Quote from: Seany on April 03, 2017, 09:16:17 PM
He's the GAA's Piers Morgan and Katie Hopkins. As if Mickey Harte hasn't enough to contend with on this day of all days when his beautiful daughter's violent death is all over the news again and here we have this self obsessed p***k attacking his managerial methods. Brolly is a bad man. Hides behind his Jolly Brolly persona but deep down he's a hateful, jealous, spiteful individual.

Bit over the top, he's also a man who gave up an organ to help someone else live and raise awareness and funds for the same. I'm sure the timing of what he said about Harte was unfortunate and not premeditated

rrhf

Quote from: Main Street on April 03, 2017, 03:18:34 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 03, 2017, 02:42:30 PM
YYYEEEEEOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/joe-brolly-claims-tyrone-player-told-him-county-training-is-depressing-784258.html
Although Joe has obsessively pursued a vendetta against the validity of sports psychologists in the GAA over these past month, he has now effortlessly  jumped on the sports psychology platform, voyeuristically claiming that fear, low morale, dreadful boredom and depression has completely enveloped Tyrone GAA.
I expect Mickey will announce a code red and conduct a good old fashioned purge in order to root out the babbling snitch ("one of their really, really good players" apparently).
In fairness that narrows it down a lot.

BennyHarp

Dick Clerkin on the Last Word.
"Matt, if you don't mind, I'd like to come back to that point on Joe Brolly. I would have serious exception to the likes of this going on. I've been seeing this for the last couple of years: Joe coming in with unnamed sources.

He did it with Armagh, with Tyrone, with Derry, with DCU. If Joe isn't going to name these guys, he can just put the pen down. It's very divisive, and it's very easy to say somebody picked up the phone without backing it u
p.

I'd put it to Joe, unless you start naming some of these guys, just maybe keep quiet for the time being."

Joe likes to portray the image that he's a confidant to the big stars who are happy to divulge secrets to him due to his near God like status in the GAA. The truth is though, the players probably see Joe as a bit of a two faced twat and I'd be surprised if anyone talks to him at this stage.
That was never a square ball!!

vallankumous

Quote from: Esmarelda on April 03, 2017, 04:00:24 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 03, 2017, 03:12:09 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on April 03, 2017, 02:58:45 PM

Mickey can rest easy - he'll be back on Armagh next weekend!

I wonder would anyone just say to him "You know Joe, anyone with an ounce of wit thinks you're telling lies and make all these confidential stories up"

Do you think he's making this up? Have you been to a Senior Football training session recently? It'd bore you to tears very few managers know how to instil enjoyment into the game anymore!
Perhaps, but if you were one of Tyrone's top players and Joe Brolly asked you how training was going, would you tell him the truth?

I'd fill him full of nonsense in the knowledge that he'd have it in one of his columns.

Joe is highly trained and skilled at asking questions that suit his agenda and getting answers that do too. A young lad thinking Joe Brolly was on his side would be easy pickings.

haranguerer

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 04, 2017, 07:12:23 AM
"Matt, if you don't mind, I'd like to come back to that point on Joe Brolly. I would have serious exception to the likes of this going on. I've been seeing this for the last couple of years: Joe coming in with unnamed sources.

He did it with Armagh, with Tyrone, with Derry, with DCU. If Joe isn't going to name these guys, he can just put the pen down. It's very divisive, and it's very easy to say somebody picked up the phone without backing it u
p.

I'd put it to Joe, unless you start naming some of these guys, just maybe keep quiet for the time being."

Joe likes to portray the image that he's a confidant to the big stars who are happy to divulge secrets to him due to his near God like status in the GAA. The truth is though, the players probably see Joe as a bit of a two faced twat and I'd be surprised if anyone talks to him at this stage.

Leaving Joe aside for the minute, is Clerkin advocating journalists no longer protecting their sources? Great move for a lad looking to get involved in that side too   :-[

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: haranguerer on April 04, 2017, 08:33:14 AM

p.

Leaving Joe aside for the minute, is Clerkin advocating journalists no longer protecting their sources? Great move for a lad looking to get involved in that side too   :-[

Yeah, I don't think Dick thought that one through. But that aside, I find it hard to believe that anyone would go to Joe Brolly for a sympathetic ear and him writing down every word. Joe has an uncanny knack of always hearing something that nobody can disprove, that happens to further an agenda of his
Hasta la victoria siempre

vallankumous

I'd say it is highlighted as it is very common. It could be good advice from Clerkin. In order for Brolly to keep his readers faithful he might need a better balance between on the record reports and off the record reports. It's an ethical conundrum. Does Brolly hold back on stories to get the balance right and receive more faith from readers on all stories or does he write every story for the sake of the story rather than the faith in it? This could also impact on his sources. Can I tell Brolly everything knowing he'll protect me as a source or do I tell him what I want published for the same reason?

BennyHarp

p.

I think, like a lot of people, he's sick of Joe trying to give credibility to his stories by throwing in the "ah sure a really important person told me this in private" line. It's becoming beyond a joke at this stage. Joe is not a journalist, he is a pundit who is expresses strong opinions (mainly for attention) and passes them off as fact with that one line.
That was never a square ball!!

Croí na hÉireann

Clerkin has being trying to call Brolly out for years now. Wants to engage him in a spat to launch/further his media career. Brolly, for once, has refused to engage as its obvious what Clerkins agenda is.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ck

Brolly tries to back up his opinion by adding little stories about who he was chatting to recently. I for one don't believe he has been chatting anyone but he's willing to tell lies to add credibility to his tales. This is what makes him entertaining and worth listening to but he's not credible by any stretch. I think everyone accepts that at this stage.

Clerkin has had a go at Brolly on twitter about this stuff before. In fairness to Clerkin he has called it out, but of course Joe will never reveal his sources, not that they even exist anyway.

Ethan Tremblay

I think he was talking to his good pal Sean Cavanagh.  I can only imagine Joe was giving advice on being manlier in exchange for some Tyrone scoop.   
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Fuzzman

Before Brolly made it onto the national media I remember meeting a few of his old Derry teammates one time in Quinns and they were telling me even back then how he loves the limelight and will do or say anything to get a rise for the craic and he especially loved winding up the Tyrone boys. (like many of here of course)

I feel that ever since he's got onto RTE and now the newspapers that he has a much larger platform to boost that ego and he really doesn't care who he upsets or what he says. He will dismiss it afterwards as "Ah sure it's just a bit of craic lads, chill out".