Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: longballin on December 17, 2016, 10:39:30 PM
More than Brolly should get an apology - family of Kevin Lynch for a start. Conlon should be fired for that dirt.

Conlon actually spent most of Sunday retweeting praise for his article. Before things went quickly south for him.

seafoid

Tommy Conon should stick to acceptable targets such as the cohort of Mayo footballers who are too arrogant to win the all Ireland
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 18, 2016, 03:51:23 AM
Quote from: longballin on December 17, 2016, 10:39:30 PM
More than Brolly should get an apology - family of Kevin Lynch for a start. Conlon should be fired for that dirt.

Conlon actually spent most of Sunday retweeting praise for his article. Before things went quickly south for him.
One of those in praise for him a Journo called Edwin McGreal from the Mayo news I see,  ,

T Fearon

I have no love for Indo or their journos ,but it seems Joe can dish it out but not take it,in terms of criticism.Also does anyone seriously doubt where his political allegiances lie?

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on December 18, 2016, 11:44:20 AM
I have no love for Indo or their journos ,but it seems Joe can dish it out but not take it,in terms of criticism.Also does anyone seriously doubt where his political allegiances lie?

For once, I agree with Tony.
MWWSI 2017

twohands!!!

Fairly embarrassing stuff by Brolly in terms of his reaction, especially as a journalist who is known for throwing around his controversial opinions  - would have been far more effective to simply leave the article out there and let people make up their own mind on it.

I know there tends to be a lot of legal action taken by people against Irish newspapers and Irish journalists, but is this the first time an Irish journalist/columnist has gone the legal route with another Irish journalist because they said something he didn't agree/like with?

trileacman

Quote from: twohands!!! on December 18, 2016, 12:55:22 PM

Fairly embarrassing stuff by Brolly in terms of his reaction, especially as a journalist who is known for throwing around his controversial opinions  - would have been far more effective to simply leave the article out there and let people make up their own mind on it.

I know there tends to be a lot of legal action taken by people against Irish newspapers and Irish journalists, but is this the first time an Irish journalist/columnist has gone the legal route with another Irish journalist because they said something he didn't agree/like with?

Yeah he's a childish w**ker is joe. Think of all the libellous remarks he has made about amateurs players down the years and he gets his tits in a twist over this.

f**k him and his charity work, he's as hollow and vain as they come. Joe's "charity" work is as self publicised as they can be. If there was no pat on the back or self praise I doubt if he'd do it.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dire Ear

Quote from: trileacman on December 18, 2016, 01:03:37 PM

Yeah he's a childish w**ker is joe. Think of all the libellous remarks he has made about amateurs players down the years and he gets his tits in a twist over this.

f**k him and his charity work, he's as hollow and vain as they come. Joe's "charity" work is as self publicised as they can be. If there was no pat on the back or self praise I doubt if he'd do it.
Agree 100%

longballin

Quote from: trileacman on December 18, 2016, 01:03:37 PM

so tell us the libellous remarks he has made - sounds like your understanding of libel is limited?

Jinxy

I can't think of any instance where Joe's comments could be said to have damaged the professional reputation of a player though.
He's just generally being a dick.
Most people would know Joe is a barrister.
Drawing a line between him and the IRA/INLA, regardless of his political leanings, is a pretty silly thing to do, especially given that Joe has taken legal action against a journalist for this very reason before.
Incredibly poor judgement from the sports editor.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Jinxy on December 18, 2016, 02:01:05 PM
I can't think of any instance where Joe's comments could be said to have damaged the professional reputation of a player though.
He's just generally being a dick.
Most people would know Joe is a barrister.
Drawing a line between him and the IRA/INLA, regardless of his political leanings, is a pretty silly thing to do, especially given that Joe has taken legal action against a journalist for this very reason before.
Incredibly poor judgement from the sports editor.

I'm fairly sure his comments about Enda McNulty would have damaged his professional reputation. His comments re.Sean Cavanagh didn't help his professional reputation either. But sure Joe lthe bully likes to throw out the insults then uses his own professional reputation to ensure nobody throws shit back.
That was never a square ball!!

Jinxy

The McNulty one is tricky as he's essentially going after the profession of sports psychology itself.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Jinxy on December 18, 2016, 02:47:09 PM
The McNulty one is tricky as he's essentially going after the profession of sports psychology itself.

But made it personal by singling out McNulty.
That was never a square ball!!

Bazil Douglas

Should this not be renamed the Joe Brolly abuse thread.

clawaddy

Like many on this board I enjoy reading Joe's articles. He usually makes good points but sometimes does get a bit personal. However in relation to this recent article relating to him in the Independent he was entirely justified in seeking an apology.  When I first read the article I was shocked at the tone and the inaccuracies in it.  I could not believe that anyone would be so stupid and ill-informed to write it and secondly a paper to publish it. It surely must cast doubt on the judgement of the editorial team. Some people on here are critical of him for "giving it but not taking it".  He did not have any other option.  Anyone with a public reputation would have done the same.