Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: DuffleKing on November 14, 2016, 12:23:52 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on November 14, 2016, 11:54:07 AM
Brolly, for someone who has a non-journalistic background is a brilliant writer. Arguably the best sports journalist out there at the minute when he is not being vindictive. Yesterday's article was another fine piece and Brolly is never too far from the truth.

Brolly is a brilliant writer, no question. He is a terrible sports journalist though.

If it's in depth analysis you are looking for then you are 100% correct.

orangeman

Brilliant article. Great writer. Very thought provoking.

blewuporstuffed

Where was the article?
any links to it?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Main Street

A desperate attempt to gain real street cred in the GAA   ;D

Seany

Typical Brolly nonsense. He usually starts off with a story about a great GAA man then finishes it off with the comparison with SKY and GPA, or else he just savages something or someone he knows nothing about, or as in this case, he starts about corporate greed and then in his final paragraph compares it to SKY and GPA.  I could take all his stuff about billionaires and their antics and how they are ruining the world and how the common man has no say against them, only for the fact that he is writing it in the paper of Denis O Brien. He is now a caricature of himself, spouting populist nonsense that has no basis in fact whatsoever.

JimStynes

182 pages on Joe now! Some man

Hound

Quote from: Seany on November 14, 2016, 10:58:00 PM
Typical Brolly nonsense. He usually starts off with a story about a great GAA man then finishes it off with the comparison with SKY and GPA, or else he just savages something or someone he knows nothing about, or as in this case, he starts about corporate greed and then in his final paragraph compares it to SKY and GPA.  I could take all his stuff about billionaires and their antics and how they are ruining the world and how the common man has no say against them, only for the fact that he is writing it in the paper of Denis O Brien. He is now a caricature of himself, spouting populist nonsense that has no basis in fact whatsoever.
He really knows how to go after the populous vote. Just amazing how many people say "great article" when reading his, because they found a "sound-byte" they agree with.

It hasn't gotten any publicity that I've seen, but Brolly has put the feelers out about running for president when Michael D finishes up!

orangeman

Quote from: Hound on November 15, 2016, 08:42:54 AM
He really knows how to go after the populous vote. Just amazing how many people say "great article" when reading his, because they found a "sound-byte" they agree with.

It hasn't gotten any publicity that I've seen, but Brolly has put the feelers out about running for president when Michael D finishes up!

Now howl on a minute sir !

BennyHarp

Quote from: Hound on November 15, 2016, 08:42:54 AM

I'm by no means a fan of Brollys but I thought it was a very good read - credit were it is due. I think his skills lie in analysis which is away from the football field and directed towards society in general. We are sleepwalking into a new era in the GAA and maybe it is time to step back and ask the question about whether or not we are going in the right direction.
That was never a square ball!!

JoG2

which parts in particular were nonsense? I'm not a great fan of Brolly and a lot of what he spouts, but this is a good article

haranguerer

He spends the whole article slating psychology last week, and quotes a psychiatrist giving a psychological assessment this one  ;D ;D ;D

Also, wouldn't mind seeing the stats re rugby participation, it certainly was growing strongly from 2005 - 2012, the only info I could find online (rose by 50%  :o).

Joe has his views, and the evidence will be bent or invented to fit. Its entertaining, but not to be taken seriously.

Rossfan

Joe like most critics of "the way the GAA (and/or society) is going" offers no opinions or suggestions of an alternative way to go.
You'll always get a knee jerk supportive reaction to rants about the crowd above in Croke Park, the suits, the Sky deal, the GPA, etc etc.but would be nice to see what vision the critics have
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Estimator

Quote from: Rossfan on November 15, 2016, 11:23:59 AM
Joe like most critics of "the way the GAA (and/or society) is going" offers no opinions or suggestions of an alternative way to go.
You'll always get a knee jerk supportive reaction to rants about the crowd above in Croke Park, the suits, the Sky deal, the GPA, etc etc.but would be nice to see what vision the critics have

Did you read the article?

This is what Joe suggested...

"There is still time to save the GAA, but it is running out. We need a proper, formal, nationwide debate on the real issues affecting us in the modern world, instead of endless debates about irrelevancies like the black card. This debate must involve every club, county and member. A committee populated by the best minds should be established with a view to setting out a strategy for the next 20 years.

What does being amateur mean? How do we rebalance the Association in favour of the 99 per cent? Do we want to rebalance it? Should we permit professionalism? If so, how will that work? What is our social responsibility, if any? The ultimate aim must be the creation of a modern, properly regulated GAA with a clear set of principles and a clear purpose. The debate should be fearless and the dice should lie where they fall. That way, at the very least, we won't lose the GAA through default. And we might avoid becoming "a nation of strangers".
Ulster League Champions 2009