Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: criostlinn on September 21, 2016, 03:11:29 PM
Joe Brolly spending a lot of time in Mayo recently. Any truth in the rumour that it is him and not McGuinness that has been drafted into the Mayo backroom team. Sunday's article may have been designed to provoke a reaction from the Mayo players
I think Brolly is going out with some girl from Mayo now.

heffo

Quote from: JimStynes on September 24, 2016, 09:21:55 AM
Joe Brolly spending a lot of time in Mayo recently. Any truth in the rumour that it is him and not McGuinness that has been drafted into the Mayo backroom team. Sunday's article may have been designed to provoke a reaction from the Mayo players

Correct

muppet

Quote from: JimStynes on September 24, 2016, 09:21:55 AM

As Mayo GAA conspiracy theories go, we are getting into Heffo territory here.  ;D

What next? Mayo drop chemtrails over Laois to brainwash referee?
MWWSI 2017

criostlinn

Hey Muppet. Just cause we are paranoid dont mean tgey aint all after us. And whats the story with these chemtrail. Are they any use

muppet

Quote from: criostlinn on September 24, 2016, 11:49:52 AM
Hey Muppet. Just cause we are paranoid dont mean tgey aint all after us. And whats the story with these chemtrail. Are they any use

Shhhhh...

We'll find out on the 1st.  ;)
MWWSI 2017

Mayoffs

Quote from: hardstation on September 24, 2016, 12:19:28 AM
It is a load of nonsense and no narcissistic idiot should be allowed to proclaim such on the public airwaves without someone shouting "that's a load of nonsense" in the background.

Agree
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)

Fuzzman

I wonder what Kimmage thought when he went home that evening about Joe.
To me it sounds like Joe wanted to show him the adulation he has created for himself.
Where most people would hate this amount of hassle from the public I think Joe thrives on it.

Here is what happened when Joe Brolly and Paul Kimmage went for a pint after the All Ireland final
"As we approached, the roar started. Then became a chant. I blew kisses. They went wild."

This is what happened when Joe Brolly tried to go for a pint with Paul Kimmage after last week's All Ireland football final. The Derry man describes the intense public attention he attracts in his Sunday Independent column today, and it makes for a fascinating read.
Brolly describes how he convinced fellow Sunday Independent columnist Kimmage to go for a few pints, and how Kimmage was stunned by the chanting and abuse directed at the pundit.

"For Jesus sake Joe, this is mental."
Brolly, however, has become immune to it all.

"I don't even notice it any more. A big crowd of lads drinking outside a terrace were chanting my name and giving the bird and the fingers and other signs that aren't even allowed post-watershed. A crowd from Mayo intercepted me for selfies. I was introduced to a group of disabled adults in their county colours. "
Kimmage wanted to go home at this stage, but Brolly dragged him to Mulligan's pub. The duo grabbed a lift with the guards to Poolbeg Street in comical fashion.

"Give us a lift boys, or we'll write about you in next week's paper."
"f**k this, I'm away," said Kimmage when he saw the massive crowd roaring at Brolly's arrival. Brolly is asked for dozens of selfies, and compares the situation to the Eoin McLove episode in Father Ted.

"The squad gathered round for photos roaring 'What do you think of that Joe Brolly?'"'
Despite all the attention, things eventually calmed down, and Joe was able to go inside for a pint.

"When it eventually calmed down a bit, I was able to stand out on the street with a crowd of men from various clubs. One of them said to me, quite seriously, 'Jaysus Joe, you should think about how to monetise this.' Which sums up what has gone wrong with Irish society."
All that for a pint.

Jinxy

I don't think Joe makes much of a distinction between positive and negative attention, as long as he's getting plenty of it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

iorras

Kimmage was on off the ball yesterday talking about it. Said he was going to write about it but didnt as  Brolly's copy had dropped first and it had covered it.
Describes Joe as an exceptional individual that you cant apply logic too. On the abuse he was giving Mayo the week before and his then walking amongst the Mayos afterwards and not seeing a problem, Kimmage reckons that Brolly cant really fathom why someone would take offence from it and therefore doesn't act as you would expect to when he meets someone he had just "wronged"

mick999

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 26, 2016, 11:48:49 AM
I wonder what Kimmage thought when he went home that evening about Joe.
To me it sounds like Joe wanted to show him the adulation he has created for himself.
Where most people would hate this amount of hassle from the public I think Joe thrives on it.

Here is what happened when Joe Brolly and Paul Kimmage went for a pint after the All Ireland final
"As we approached, the roar started. Then became a chant. I blew kisses. They went wild."

This is what happened when Joe Brolly tried to go for a pint with Paul Kimmage after last week's All Ireland football final. The Derry man describes the intense public attention he attracts in his Sunday Independent column today, and it makes for a fascinating read.
Brolly describes how he convinced fellow Sunday Independent columnist Kimmage to go for a few pints, and how Kimmage was stunned by the chanting and abuse directed at the pundit.

"For Jesus sake Joe, this is mental."
Brolly, however, has become immune to it all.

"I don't even notice it any more. A big crowd of lads drinking outside a terrace were chanting my name and giving the bird and the fingers and other signs that aren't even allowed post-watershed. A crowd from Mayo intercepted me for selfies. I was introduced to a group of disabled adults in their county colours. "
Kimmage wanted to go home at this stage, but Brolly dragged him to Mulligan's pub. The duo grabbed a lift with the guards to Poolbeg Street in comical fashion.

"Give us a lift boys, or we'll write about you in next week's paper."
"f**k this, I'm away," said Kimmage when he saw the massive crowd roaring at Brolly's arrival. Brolly is asked for dozens of selfies, and compares the situation to the Eoin McLove episode in Father Ted.

"The squad gathered round for photos roaring 'What do you think of that Joe Brolly?'"'
Despite all the attention, things eventually calmed down, and Joe was able to go inside for a pint.

"When it eventually calmed down a bit, I was able to stand out on the street with a crowd of men from various clubs. One of them said to me, quite seriously, 'Jaysus Joe, you should think about how to monetise this.' Which sums up what has gone wrong with Irish society."
All that for a pint.

There was a great discussion with Kimmage on newstalk on Sunday  morning paper review where he discussed the story ..

The Joe brolly bit is towards the end of the show, but the discussion on Wiggins TUE's & Mc Ateer are also well worth a listen ..

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/Off_The_Ball_Highlights/159159/Sunday_Paper_Review_Kimmage__OToole_on_TUEs

Fuzzman

Cheers lads. Didn't think Kimmage would be so foul mouthed on the radio.  :-[

That last point they make is totally accurate that a lot of people take issue with a lot of his personal comments but then when they meet him face to face they can't help but be sweet talked into liking him and you can really see that with the RTE crew. You would worry for him though some day that he will meet the wrong group with a load of drink on them and it could get ugly. Fair play he takes so much time to go to talk with those who are ill so often.

Jinxy

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 26, 2016, 02:05:56 PM
Cheers lads. Didn't think Kimmage would be so foul mouthed on the radio.  :-[

That last point they make is totally accurate that a lot of people take issue with a lot of his personal comments but then when they meet him face to face they can't help but be sweet talked into liking him and you can really see that with the RTE crew. You would worry for him though some day that he will meet the wrong group with a load of drink on them and it could get ugly. Fair play he takes so much time to go to talk with those who are ill so often.

:)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rosnarun

to be hones i dont care if brolly gives bothe Kidneys and his liver to save a dying mother of 8 , its of no interest to me as a gaa supporter . many people do similar things for many reasons .
I will only ever judge him as a GAA  pundit and in that he has proven over and over again he prefers soundbite over substance and when he feels hes not getting enough attention , like any little bollix he ups the stakes and get more vile, nasty  and personal ,

and as for Paul Kimmage , the best Journalist in ireland IMHO, new found interest in the GAA ,i would say be wary of Greek bearing gifts, 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

twohands!!!

Quote from: rosnarun on September 28, 2016, 11:18:19 AM

and as for Paul Kimmage , the best Journalist in ireland IMHO, new found interest in the GAA ,i would say be wary of Greek bearing gifts,

Interesting tweet from Philip Jordan yesterday

Philip Jordan ‏@PhilipJordan7  23h23 hours ago
TUE's are wide open for ethical abuse. Have those criticising their use considered that GAA teams/players have pushed them to the limit?

https://twitter.com/PhilipJordan7/status/780881856103387136

Would be interesting to know whether any GAA teams have an abnormally high number of TUEs?

http://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/Anti-Doping/Athlete-Zone/Therapeutic-Use-Exemptions-/

screenexile

I see Brolly had a cut at Hennelly yesterday... probably a bit OTT but why did Hennelly feel the need to release a public statement about playing a bad game? There was no need for it!!