Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: twohands!!! on September 08, 2016, 09:17:19 PM

World of difference between able to point things out on the telly and the hard graft of actually managing a team.

KMcStay please note :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gaffer

Quote from: Rossfan on September 08, 2016, 09:49:23 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on September 08, 2016, 09:17:19 PM

World of difference between able to point things out on the telly and the hard graft of actually managing a team.

KMcStay please note :-\

And Gary Neville !!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

muppet

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-mayo-players-are-spoiled-mollycoddled-blameeverybodyelse-brats-35057246.html

I wonder would Jim McGuinness do us all a favour and write about how Joe Brolly should bring something different to his punditry? Like maybe silence? His article above is pure dung. It was dung before the match and it reads even worse than dung after the match. He is the ultimate celebrity himself, even littering his dung with other people's opinions, presumably as he can't work it out for himself.

As for his rubbishing of the character of people like Lee Keegan, who he blames for 'signalling another Mayo capitulation'. Joe should count himself lucky he didn't have to mark Keegan, otherwise he might never have made to the celebrity, name-dropping bullshitter that he has become.

"Mayo players are spoiled, mollycoddled, blame-everybody-else brats" according to Joe. Funnily enough if I had to think of someone who was a 'spoiled, mollycoddled, blame-everybody-else brat', Joe Brolly would be quick to enter my head.

The problem for Joe now is that there is real competition from Sky. Peter Canavan is showing him up to be a spoofer of the highest order. His belittling of Ciarán Whelan's semi-final observation that Kerry pushing up on Cluxton's kickout was a deliberate tactic, should not have been tolerated by RTE. Especially when, on Sky, Caravan expertly showed that not only was it a tactic, but where the tactic came from. Brolly should be apologising to Whelan and leaving the punditry to proper pundits.
MWWSI 2017

Walter Cronc

Quote from: muppet on September 20, 2016, 02:03:27 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-mayo-players-are-spoiled-mollycoddled-blameeverybodyelse-brats-35057246.html

I wonder would Jim McGuinness do us all a favour and write about how Joe Brolly should bring something different to his punditry? Like maybe silence? His article above is pure dung. It was dung before the match and it reads even worse than dung after the match. He is the ultimate celebrity himself, even littering his dung with other people's opinions, presumably as he can't work it out for himself.

As for his rubbishing of the character of people like Lee Keegan, who he blames for 'signalling another Mayo capitulation'. Joe should count himself lucky he didn't have to mark Keegan, otherwise he might never have made to the celebrity, name-dropping bullshitter that he has become.

"Mayo players are spoiled, mollycoddled, blame-everybody-else brats" according to Joe. Funnily enough if I had to think of someone who was a 'spoiled, mollycoddled, blame-everybody-else brat', Joe Brolly would be quick to enter my head.

The problem for Joe now is that there is real competition from Sky. Peter Canavan is showing him up to be a spoofer of the highest order. His belittling of Ciarán Whelan's semi-final observation that Kerry pushing up on Cluxton's kickout was a deliberate tactic, should not have been tolerated by RTE. Especially when, on Sky, Caravan expertly showed that not only was it a tactic, but where the tactic came from. Brolly should be apologising to Whelan and leaving the punditry to proper pundits.

Joe 1 Muppet 0

JoG2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 20, 2016, 02:07:31 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 20, 2016, 02:03:27 PM

Joe 1 Muppet 0

because someone bites its a victory for Joseph? In Joe's world yes, but come on Walt. Joe's a very likeable man and is good craic, but let's be real here, he'll write anything to get a bit of attention and I'm sure doesn't really believe a lot of it himself.

"blame-everybody-else brats" -  ;D

Walter Cronc

Anyone who takes Brolly seriously JOG - more fool them I say!

muppet

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 20, 2016, 02:30:51 PM
Anyone who takes Brolly seriously JOG - more fool them I say!

The 'he's a WUM' argument might excuse the odd, funny, internet account. But it hardly vindicates a barrister pretending to be a journalist.

Read this for example:

"I like to text football people before big games with a simple question: Dublin or Mayo? Oisín McConville texted back immediately: "Dublin handy." "Why?" I texted. "For f*** sake Joe, do you want me to right (sic) your column for you?" "Not until you learn to right," I texted. One after another the messages came in from football men across the country:"

Joe might think we will all see this as funny, but I think McConviile is more than funny with his reply. He is probably hitting the nail on the head.
MWWSI 2017

iorras

James Horan made an excellent point on the newstalk sunday paper review on Sunday, along these lines...
Brolly likes to wax lyrical about the "fior gael" and loves his anecdotes about the togetherness of the local GAA club, the young scuts running around with their hurleys in the halla and the ladies making tea after training, and the volunteerism and how it brings all of us closer together.
But then he writes complete shite like that when is nothing but divisive. Its personal attacks on people and players and where they are from. Saying things like "Sean Cavanagh is not a man", disparaging whole counties of people because they don't fit into his supposed view of the world which is, what? Its impossible to tell because surely a team of players who get beaten and come back time and time again for nothing more than trying to finish a thing they started, the love of the game and the love of their county, should be the poster children for the "Fior Gael" that he likes to talk about. But yet he appears to see those qualities as valueless and in fact in his view makes them somehow weak. So which way does he want it? Is it that you have to win the ultimate prize and if you don't all your efforts are valueless? Where does that leave the other 28 odd counties who haven't challenged for anything over the past 10 years?

I cant tell because his supposed beliefs one week, are completely undermined the next. In the words of Eamonn Dunphy on someone else "hes a bluffer and a spoofer"

we all know he just loves the attention, but there is something distinctly lacking in his character that allows him to put his name to articles like that.
I still cant believe the Mayo county board paid him to show up in City West last Saturday night, ridiculous.

Walter Cronc

Cool your jets you mad man!

seafoid

The Sindo article was dreadful.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

iorras

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 20, 2016, 04:21:56 PM
Cool your jets you mad man!
Joe, is that you?
Pity I didn't meet you on your Presidential walkabout into town on Sunday, could have a good debate about your article

yellowcard

I don't take Brolly too seriously and he is intelligent and can be very entertaining as well. However he has a vicious tongue on him at times and that article was an opportunistic cheap shot at an excellent team on the morning of an AI final. He works off a set agenda and one of these agendas is the 'Dublin are saving Gaelic football' school of thought. Mayo were simply the team caught in the cross fires. I happen to share his opinion on Dublin in the sense that they are the best side to watch playing Gaelic football. However much of their corporate bullshit speak about 'processes' and with their massive back room staff of about 20 and their PR officer sheltering the players from the public is entirely at odds with Brollys community based philosophy. Joe is a bundle of contradictions. Entertaining but someone I wouldn't take too serious.

macdanger2

Joe is like Mrs Brown's Boys to me, I know some people find him entertaining but I can't stand listening to him