Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 02, 2016, 11:30:18 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 31, 2016, 12:47:41 PM
I just don't understand Brolly's status or how anyone enjoys him. He is bombastic, attention seeking, full of bluster and changes horses depending on what he thinks will generate the most publicity. I think his shtick is old and cliched at this stage.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I agree with you AZ and a few others here in how he changes his horse so often and just focuses on creating the most uproar. The fact that he often makes some good true points keeps loads of people on his side as they see him standing up and being outspoken where most are not.
A lot of people love hearing a good row and if I'm honest even though he annoys me I still find myself wanting to hear what he's gonna say this week and will Spillane react. It makes good TV for lots of people I suppose.

I feel he makes a lot of money off the GAA media bandwagon (RTE and newspapers etc) so it's a lot easier for him to go to events for free but he's a bit like the Pharisees in the bible who make sure he lets you know he's there for free to reap the benefit of that and tell who else isn't there for free. I suppose what I dislike the most about Joe is his two faced personality where he appears to go meet people face to face and be all nice to them and then behind their back tear their personality to threads.

I heard Sean Cavanagh talk about the aftermath of Joe's attack on him after "that tackle" and how non GAA people in his work perceived him differently and how his parents and wife had to deal with people bringing it up and changing people's perception. Joe doesn't seem to care a damn what people think of him and is why he continues to be so out spoken but not everyone else is like that and he needs to respect that. I wonder what he said to Marty last year in way of an apology. You would imagine it was rather dismissive of the whole thing. Just a bit of craic Marty.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's been said he donates the money he makes from RTE and his columns... let's be honest he has plenty of money and I don't think he's on RTE or writing columns to make his fortune it's all for the Joe show!!

illdecide

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 02, 2016, 11:54:25 AM
Quote from: illdecide on June 02, 2016, 11:52:49 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 02, 2016, 11:33:25 AM
As someone alluded to earlier - criticising players is wrong but paid managers. Well that's par for the course to me!

Well Walter spill the beans and tell us who is getting paid and how much? Please provide the evidence too.

Is McGeeney not?

Are clubs around the country not getting fleeced by average outside managers??

I dunno if he gets paid and if he does from who and how much? Couldn't tell u and couldn't prove it either
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Walter Cronc

Quote from: illdecide on June 02, 2016, 12:08:24 PM
As someone alluded to earlier - criticising players is wrong but paid managers. Well that's par for the course to me!

Well Walter spill the beans and tell us who is getting paid and how much? Please provide the evidence too.

Is McGeeney not?

I dunno if he gets paid and if he does from who and how much? Couldn't tell u and couldn't prove it either

Nor can I and I doubt we will ever be in a position to prove anything

lenny

Is McGeeney not?

Yes, there are loads of well paid managers around the country. That's why it's not fair to single out mcgeeney as if he's the only one. His record isn't that bad and most players who've played for him have tremendous respect for him.

Brick Tamlin

Managers and backroom personnel get paid!!!?????
Get outa town. :o

longballin

Quote from: screenexile on June 02, 2016, 11:56:31 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 02, 2016, 11:30:18 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 31, 2016, 12:47:41 PM
I just don't understand Brolly's status or how anyone enjoys him. He is bombastic, attention seeking, full of bluster and changes horses depending on what he thinks will generate the most publicity. I think his shtick is old and cliched at this stage.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I agree with you AZ and a few others here in how he changes his horse so often and just focuses on creating the most uproar. The fact that he often makes some good true points keeps loads of people on his side as they see him standing up and being outspoken where most are not.
A lot of people love hearing a good row and if I'm honest even though he annoys me I still find myself wanting to hear what he's gonna say this week and will Spillane react. It makes good TV for lots of people I suppose.

I feel he makes a lot of money off the GAA media bandwagon (RTE and newspapers etc) so it's a lot easier for him to go to events for free but he's a bit like the Pharisees in the bible who make sure he lets you know he's there for free to reap the benefit of that and tell who else isn't there for free. I suppose what I dislike the most about Joe is his two faced personality where he appears to go meet people face to face and be all nice to them and then behind their back tear their personality to threads.

I heard Sean Cavanagh talk about the aftermath of Joe's attack on him after "that tackle" and how non GAA people in his work perceived him differently and how his parents and wife had to deal with people bringing it up and changing people's perception. Joe doesn't seem to care a damn what people think of him and is why he continues to be so out spoken but not everyone else is like that and he needs to respect that. I wonder what he said to Marty last year in way of an apology. You would imagine it was rather dismissive of the whole thing. Just a bit of craic Marty.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's been said he donates the money he makes from RTE and his columns... let's be honest he has plenty of money and I don't think he's on RTE or writing columns to make his fortune it's all for the Joe show!!

Since when was writing a column or being a pundit on RTE an amateur sport?

longballin

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 02, 2016, 12:12:03 PM
Managers and backroom personnel get paid!!!?????
Get outa town. :o

nothing new but if someone is paid to do a job and its shoddy they deserve criticised

joemamas

Quote from: lenny on June 02, 2016, 12:11:29 PM

Is McGeeney not?

Yes, there are loads of well paid managers around the country. That's why it's not fair to single out mcgeeney as if he's the only one. His record isn't that bad and most players who've played for him have tremendous respect for him.

To be honest, his record in Kildare was average at best. There apparently was a ton of money thrown into the process also, so as an earlier blogger alluded to, you do leave yourself open to criticism when that is taking place especially without success.
I did meet a former Kildare inter county player two or three years ago, and remarked that the players all seem to like him, his answer was why wouldn't they, he hasn't dropped one of them off the panel in three years.

Brolly does exaggerate when it suits him no doubt, and as a Mayoman, I will never forget when he was drinking Jim's kool-aid and the PR work he did for Jim and Donegal prior to the All-Ireland in 2012, when he used his pulpit to "highlight" cynical Mayo. Pathetic to say the least, now he loves Mayo.

Moving on from that, I could have listened to the debate last Sunday afternoon for another hour. Whether we like it or not, GAA is now dictated by money, be it GPA, sponsorship, county team doctors and physios, dieticians to mention a few. Who is being affected most, Clubs, Players through injury, etc.....

It would not be a bad thing if the season was condensed a bit and let the clubs who ultimately are the key drivers of the GAA, operate in a somewhat normal fashion.

One last point he did make about Armagh, was the student in Queens who could not show up for collective weight training and was therefore not considered to be part of the squad, if true then this is daft.

mackers

There is history between Armagh and the man that was overseeing the S&C training in Queens, I would imagine that was a factor in that decision.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

LilySavage

Joes a great fella..loved by many men and women allover Ireland.

seafoid

RTE sport is a circus
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

DuffleKing

Quote from: LilySavage on June 02, 2016, 09:08:07 PM
Joes a great fella..loved by many men and women allover Ireland.

Carefully now...

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on June 02, 2016, 09:30:37 PM
RTE sport is a circus
Except for the jolly old Dublin4 ROGBY of course.
They were drooling themselves this evening over some Summer tour friendlies. >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

regal

The Trap

He defends his comments pretty well in The Gaelic Life - puts it up to the Armagh County Board.............