Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethan Tremblay

Good read and very on point, it is easy to assume there must be a fallout with cross players due to the lack of them but most have valid reasons for not being a part of the panel.  Aaron Kernan has gave 10 years' service to the team also, a long slog for any player. 

With respect to Brolly, most of what he says is true, but his manner and snide tone in which he says it really hinders his punditry and analysis.  Also some of his facts are blatantly wrong.  Mc Geeneys "vice grip" on Armagh football is factitious, as Maghery had the Forkers playing league football for at least 1 match I know of, but sure someone sitting listening to it would believe it, such comments would indicate research at some level. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

yellowcard

There is a huge level of hypocrisy involved with Brolly though. Derry give what most people would consider to be a more shambolic performance than Armagh 7 days previously and yet there was no scathing criticism of Barton, his methods and he simply wrote a hunorous piece about the death of Derry football. However with Armagh it was a personal attack on McGeeney. I get the fact that McGeeney attracts criticism due to the resources that he demands be pumped into his teams and the fact that he has not got an awful lot of time for football lower down the food chain. That is no justification for some of Brolly's comments though and its good to see Grimley giving him some back. For those who claim that Grimley has given Brolly ammunition to pick apart, please point out what exactly you mean. Brolly himself came out with some ridiculous statements as well stating that Paul Hughes was one of the best defenders in Ireland and that Tony Kernan was one of the best footballers in Ireland. Both fine players in their own right but Brolly was exsaggerating wildly just to take a cut at McGeeney. Brolly sees things in black and white. For years now he has been praising Crossmaglen excessively and was at it again on Sunday stating that 7 or 8 Crossmaglen players should be on the county team. Even the most ardent Crossmaglen follower would find it hard to make an argument here.

I'm not sure if it's McGeeneys professionalism and the fact that his career has been built around the GAA, is what gets Brollys goat more than anything or whether there is genuine friction between them. I seem to remember McGeeney throwing an ice bucket of water over Brolly a few years ago, I think he might want to throw something different over him now.

seafoid

McGeeney can't win. Either the argument or football wise
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ck

As with all of Brollys comments, there is truth in them but they are usually exaggerated for entertainment value. County managers are up there to be shot at. My experience of county managers is that they usually have egos the size of small country's so if they don't perform then they know what to expect. The question however is where the line is, and Joe regularly crosses the line.
GAA people are smart enough to know where the line is and know when Joe crosses it and when he doesn't.

ck

Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2016, 09:36:22 AM
There is a huge level of hypocrisy involved with Brolly though. Derry give what most people would consider to be a more shambolic performance than Armagh 7 days previously and yet there was no scathing criticism of Barton, his methods and he simply wrote a hunorous piece about the death of Derry football. However with Armagh it was a personal attack on McGeeney. I get the fact that McGeeney attracts criticism due to the resources that he demands be pumped into his teams and the fact that he has not got an awful lot of time for football lower down the food chain. That is no justification for some of Brolly's comments though and its good to see Grimley giving him some back. For those who claim that Grimley has given Brolly ammunition to pick apart, please point out what exactly you mean. Brolly himself came out with some ridiculous statements as well stating that Paul Hughes was one of the best defenders in Ireland and that Tony Kernan was one of the best footballers in Ireland. Both fine players in their own right but Brolly was exsaggerating wildly just to take a cut at McGeeney. Brolly sees things in black and white. For years now he has been praising Crossmaglen excessively and was at it again on Sunday stating that 7 or 8 Crossmaglen players should be on the county team. Even the most ardent Crossmaglen follower would find it hard to make an argument here.

I'm not sure if it's McGeeneys professionalism and the fact that his career has been built around the GAA, is what gets Brollys goat more than anything or whether there is genuine friction between them. I seem to remember McGeeney throwing an ice bucket of water over Brolly a few years ago, I think he might want to throw something different over him now.

My recollection is that he was very critical of Derry and Barton however it's worth considering that Barton is in year one of his inter county career. And took on a team with low enough aspirations.  McGeeney invites extra scrutiny given his persona and actions Eg: level of payment he commanded in Kildare, poaching a Cavan player etc etc. Rightly or wrongly, all of this means he's open to a higher level of criticism when his team doesn't perform and in fairness they haven't performed since he took over.

yellowcard

Quote from: ck on May 31, 2016, 09:49:10 AM

My recollection is that he was very critical of Derry and Barton however it's worth considering that Barton is in year one of his inter county career. And took on a team with low enough aspirations.  McGeeney invites extra scrutiny given his persona and actions Eg: level of payment he commanded in Kildare, poaching a Cavan player etc etc. Rightly or wrongly, all of this means he's open to a higher level of criticism when his team doesn't perform and in fairness they haven't performed since he took over.

He made a humourous remark about the death of Derry football, there was no analysis of mistakes made by Barton or personal comments about him not having a clue etc. He has had a vicious pop at successive Armagh managers and whilst criticism is fine if constructive he has been way over the top with McGeeney. The Johnston incident was a goo few years ago and was a bad error of judgement for which he was widely criticised at the time. Yes, performances have been poor, most people can accept that, but it can't ALL be simply pinned onto the manager. There are a whole host of reasons why Armagh have not produced results, not least of all because the players simply aren't of the quality of a previous era. In Armagh's case though, the players should be grateful that McGeeney is there to absorb most of the blame on their behalf. Whilst I don't agree with all of McGeeney's methods, I'm glad to see Grimley coming out defiant in support of him, its high time that Brolly was held to account.

mup

Quote from: The Aristocrat on May 31, 2016, 09:08:34 AM
Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2016, 09:04:31 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2016, 08:35:26 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 31, 2016, 08:05:28 AM
Well said Paul.

http://m.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0530/792097-paul-grimley/   

Fair play, Grimley has never been afraid to stand up to Brolly (one of the few) and he is 100% right in what he has said. It's time he was held to account and reigned in.
McGeeney is an easy target. His combination of intensity and managerial ineptitude

Plus his high wages. He got very very good money in Kildare when the players had to fund raise and build their own gym.

Id say he was looked after in Na Fianna as well.

He's an accountant isn't he?

Trains his team like thugs too.

Have you the figures to back up your assertions?

Walter Cronc

In fairness YC he's not gona have a pop at Barton when they were team mates. Although most ppl in Derry wish he would as they want Barton gone!!

No wides

Quote from: The Aristocrat on May 31, 2016, 09:08:34 AM
Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2016, 09:04:31 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2016, 08:35:26 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 31, 2016, 08:05:28 AM
Well said Paul.

http://m.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0530/792097-paul-grimley/   

Fair play, Grimley has never been afraid to stand up to Brolly (one of the few) and he is 100% right in what he has said. It's time he was held to account and reigned in.
McGeeney is an easy target. His combination of intensity and managerial ineptitude

Plus his high wages. He got very very good money in Kildare when the players had to fund raise and build their own gym.

Id say he was looked after in Na Fianna as well.

He's an accountant isn't he?

Trains his team like thugs too.

That's a hell of a statement, so the hole Armagh squad are thugs, keyboard warrior, you wouldn't have the balls to say that to any player but you call a whole panel of players thugs, you are a lovely fella.

Fuzzman

I only got to see the Brolly show last night and boy was I shocked even though I should know better by now. I suppose Brolly's article earlier this year about McGeeney's attack on him at Eamon Coleman's funeral was an indicator of what Joe will be targeting this summer having completely transformed from the "Black Death" angle.

I wonder has Spillane told TSG that he doesn't want to work with Brolly any more or to limit his time with him.
He probably knows Joe will be giving him hell all year that Kerry aren't able for the Dubs any more and he wants to avoid Joe's rants like on Sunday. Spillane had a good pop on him on the Sunday night show correctly saying he was way OTT in his comments.

I think poor Michael Lyster isn't able to control Joe (who is) and while he does slow him up at times Joe finds it hard to not interrupt everyone and not make it all about him. He more or less ignored Lyster's question about the game itself and just launched into the state of the GAA and how intercounty football is having such a terrible effect on the game at club level. He then talked about his own son and strength and conditioning. All good interesting points yes but ITS NOT THE JOE SHOW.
The more I watch it and how many managers and counties are insulted each year the more I am glad Mickey Harte turned his back on them.
I'm no fan of McGeeney and think the way he went about the Seanie Johnston thing for Kildare was disgraceful as eh probably thought it could help him be a successful manager. However, Joe's rant seemed very personal and really stank of revenge for McGeeney's jibe at Joe at him being a terrible waste of his potential.

After the Marty Morrissey comment last year I thought RTE would have clipped his wings a bit and maybe they did briefly but I reckon there is a lot more to come from Joe as he now has the platform to voice his opinions and walk over whoever he likes without much recriminations.
It will be interesting to see how much Spillane and Brolly share a studio this year. I reckon RTE see Brolly has a huge draw for many people who want to see drama on the telly.

ck

Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2016, 09:59:57 AM
Quote from: ck on May 31, 2016, 09:49:10 AM

He made a humourous remark about the death of Derry football, there was no analysis of mistakes made by Barton or personal comments about him not having a clue etc. He has had a vicious pop at successive Armagh managers and whilst criticism is fine if constructive he has been way over the top with McGeeney. The Johnston incident was a goo few years ago and was a bad error of judgement for which he was widely criticised at the time. Yes, performances have been poor, most people can accept that, but it can't ALL be simply pinned onto the manager. There are a whole host of reasons why Armagh have not produced results, not least of all because the players simply aren't of the quality of a previous era. In Armagh's case though, the players should be grateful that McGeeney is there to absorb most of the blame on their behalf. Whilst I don't agree with all of McGeeney's methods, I'm glad to see Grimley coming out defiant in support of him, its high time that Brolly was held to account.

Grimleys comments simply play right into Brollys hands. It keeps the conversation going, keeps the story relevant until he pens his next article where he will reply to Grimley, and again rip McGeeney apart.

I sat in a pub on Sunday watching the game. When Brolly came on after he game a few lads shouted for the bar man to turn it up. When Brolly started his rant, a few men laughed loudly and clapped their hands in glee. RTE know their audience and they deliver to them week in week out.

Fuzzman

You can see CK that Lyster and O'Rourke do get a great laugh from Joe and you heard Lyster say in that interview with him earlier this year that they all get on really well.

Joe is very witty and has loads of very entertaining stories where no-one (not even his own sister) is out of bounds.
That's all grand off air but I think there needs to be some control over what can and cannot be said and not let your own relationship with Joe cloud your view of that.
He can make his good points without resorting to personal abuse. Even his comments to O'Rourke about his playing days and then the farm are really not necessary but get a reaction of course.

heffo

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 31, 2016, 11:13:54 AM
You can see CK that Lyster and O'Rourke do get a great laugh from Joe and you heard Lyster say in that interview with him earlier this year that they all get on really well.

Joe is very witty and has loads of very entertaining stories where no-one (not even his own sister) is out of bounds.

I've been in his company a few times through a mutual friend. The first time I met him within two minutes he had told me he was at a charity function the night before, he did it for free and that person X (high profile Ex-Northern Footballer) wanted £500 to attend. Anytime I've seen him since it was the same.

Marty Morrisey was genuinely very hurt about the comments last year by all accounts.

Jinxy

That's all grand off air but I think there needs to be some control over what can and cannot be said and not let your own relationship with Joe cloud your view of that.
He can make his good points without resorting to personal abuse. Even his comments to O'Rourke about his playing days and then the farm are really not necessary but get a reaction of course.

I thought the farm comment was funny, and it was said in a particular context.
It'd be a common enough joke around Meath anyway with all the Mayo & Leitrim blow-ins.  :)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: heffo on May 31, 2016, 11:17:38 AM

I've been in his company a few times through a mutual friend. The first time I met him within two minutes he had told me he was at a charity function the night before, he did it for free and that person X (high profile Ex-Northern Footballer) wanted £500 to attend. Anytime I've seen him since it was the same.

Marty Morrisey was genuinely very hurt about the comments last year by all accounts.

I just don't understand Brolly's status or how anyone enjoys him. He is bombastic, attention seeking, full of bluster and changes horses depending on what he thinks will generate the most publicity. I think his shtick is old and cliched at this stage.