Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

I think the modern player is better prepared and has a higher skill level than ever before through the army of specilised coaching they have received from a young age. I don't think too many people could put forward a serious argument to dispute this. However the spectacle is a poorer one in my view. Far too much handpassing, tactical analysis and far less risk taking and kicking. Players are discouraged from acting instinctively and as a result there are fewer flair players and characters in the game. In the quest for size, pace, power and athleticism there has been a trade off in terms of the spectacle. Rugby has suffered in a similar way. The rules of the game were introduced when body shapes and the pace of the game were totally different and the rule changes have not kept abreast of these changes without impacting on the spectacle. 

Itchy

If modern football is so horrendous why are so many players actually playing? Are they being forced to, is it like a prison sentence. Not sure I buy all this shite.

screenexile

Quote from: Itchy on May 30, 2016, 03:43:25 PM
If modern football is so horrendous why are so many players actually playing? Are they being forced to, is it like a prison sentence. Not sure I buy all this shite.

Institutionalised! It's what you're used to.

You can see with the drop off at Senior Inter County level of lads deciding to travel/opt out of panels that there is a case it's not the way it was.

There was a stage where you would never say no if the County manager gave you the call but that is not the case anymore!

Throw ball

Quote from: screenexile on May 30, 2016, 03:49:14 PM

You can see with the drop off at Senior Inter County level of lads deciding to travel/opt out of panels that there is a case it's not the way it was.

There was a stage where you would never say no if the County manager gave you the call but that is not the case anymore!

There is also the case that travelling is more common now in society in general and cheaper too.

For what it is worth I felt about 90% of the way Cavan played yesterday was a proper spectacle - and 100% of the way the Armagh keeper played!

yellowcard

Why would you think that there would be a mass exodus of players playing the game simply because they don't enjoy certain parts of it? If someone has been immersed in the game and it s culture from a young age they are hardly likely to walk away in significantly large numbers because they would like to see more kicking, more adventurous attacking play or more goals. It is part of out culture to play the game and gives us a form of indentity but it doesn't mean that it can't be improved on. What do you suggest, that we simply retain the status quo and forget about trying to improve the spectacle. 

Orior

Hmmm, tempted to point to the absence of a time machine but... then thinks the better of it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: screenexile on May 30, 2016, 12:09:01 PM
It's an interesting one alright. . . the game as we know it now is not the game I used to play and I don't think I would derive the same sense of enjoyment out of it were I to be 15/16 years of age now. Our lads at that age are all into core strengthening and systems and what's the point?

Unless I was winning that might be the only way but if you're not winning matches and having to play that joyless defensive game why would you bother?

We ran into a very defensive team yesterday looking to turn us over inside their 45 and hit us on the break. Despite having the better players we had to sit our lads down at half time and totally change our style of play. Won well in the end and there was a certain enjoyment in rising to the challenge posed by the opposition. It's light years away from the man on man football I would have started out playing and certainly isn't as free flowing as it used to be but there is still huge enjoyment to be had out of still being able to get out there and play the game.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Itchy

Quote from: screenexile on May 30, 2016, 03:49:14 PM

It's a smaller world now, cheap flights, better educated means more opportunity to travel. That wasn't there backbone the day. Im not saying things can't improve but if it was as bad as brolly was saying it's hard to believe anyone would play county football. It's over stated and I think county men do get a fair bit back from football too.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

yellowcard

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 31, 2016, 08:05:28 AM
Well said Paul.

http://m.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0530/792097-paul-grimley/   

Fair play, Grimley has never been afraid to stand up to Brolly (one of the few) and he is 100% right in what he has said. It's time he was held to account and reigned in.

No wides

Unfortunately Brolly has the outlets to pick a few sentences out of context in this column or next Sunday and take Grimley apart, that is Joe's way and he will take great pleasure in doing it.

seafoid

Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2016, 08:35:26 AM
Well said Paul.

Fair play, Grimley has never been afraid to stand up to Brolly (one of the few) and he is 100% right in what he has said. It's time he was held to account and reigned in.
McGeeney is an easy target. His combination of intensity and managerial ineptitude
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

The Aristocrat

Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2016, 09:04:31 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2016, 08:35:26 AM
Well said Paul.

McGeeney is an easy target. His combination of intensity and managerial ineptitude

Plus his high wages. He got very very good money in Kildare when the players had to fund raise and build their own gym.

Id say he was looked after in Na Fianna as well.

He's an accountant isn't he?

Trains his team like thugs too.

Walter Cronc

In terms of expenditure I think Armagh is one of the highest in Ireland. I know they've improved recently in hurling but there seems to be big money pumped into the footballers.

Gold

I can just imagine Joe sniggering and almost wetting himself reading Grimley's rant

Grimley is entirely correct of course but as said below Joe will take him apart and defend his commenta to the hilt

It's personal with McGeeney and plain nasty at this stage
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."