Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Quote from: Throw ball on April 13, 2016, 01:10:57 PM
Quote from: WT4E on April 13, 2016, 10:21:28 AM
Quote from: general_lee on April 13, 2016, 10:03:48 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 12, 2016, 10:36:30 PM
...have now suffered relegation back to Div 3 (which was not the result of bad luck,as some would have you believe,but the result of a home defeat by Laois and a mauling in Cavan,neither of which are in any way excusable)

Go figure
It's not often a team with 6 points gets relegated to be fair. I'd say some element of bad luck came into it. Tyrone and Fermanagh conveniently playing out a draw didn't help

Lol thats the best excuse I've heard yet from Armagh - Tyrone screwed Armagh by fixing a draw!

Two best teams got promoted - two worst teams got relegated that's the way the system is designed - LIVE WITH IT!

The relegation rules were that if 2 teams finished level it went on head to head, if more than 2 it was scoring difference. If the relegation had have been decided on a league basis between the teams that finished level then it would have been:

Armagh 4pts
Meath 3 pts
Derry 3 pts
Fermanagh 2 pts.

McGeeney and Armagh could be considered unlucky but to say that relegation proves Armagh were the second worst team in the league is inaccurate in my opinion. There was not a great deal between most of the teams in division 2.

Where any of those teams completely shit against Laois?
Where any held scoreless for a half?
Did any of them keep punting kick outs down the middle for zero return?
Did any of them go into meltdown when under the cosh?

The league table was decided at the end of the season on accordance with how it was to be decided at the beginning of the season. We finished in the bottom 2 and got relegated. We have to deal with that.

Throw ball

Quote from: smelmoth on April 13, 2016, 09:50:20 PM
Quote from: illdecide on April 13, 2016, 09:05:00 AM
Why has KMCG grew into the man everyone loves to hate (exceptions of some Kildare men and Armagh folk), what has he done over the years that everyone wants to see him fail?
There are many, many who do not want to see him fail but still recognise that he is (at the moment) in fact failing

Because he done/does martial arts then apparently he has the team doing it too,
Did someone really say this?

because he trained more than most apparently he has Armagh lads training 8 nights a week ;) etc etc.

Big question is why is so much shit spouted by those defending McGeeney??

There is also a pile of crap being spouted by those who want him to fail.

For me at the minute the jury is still out. He will most probably be Armagh manager for another few years so we will have plenty of evidence of his worth then. It is my understanding that he has been working with others to improve football in the county from the academies up. If he succeeds here he will put the county in a secure footing. I hope he does.

smelmoth

Quote from: Throw ball on April 13, 2016, 10:01:43 PM
Why has KMCG grew into the man everyone loves to hate (exceptions of some Kildare men and Armagh folk), what has he done over the years that everyone wants to see him fail?
There are many, many who do not want to see him fail but still recognise that he is (at the moment) in fact failing

because he trained more than most apparently he has Armagh lads training 8 nights a week ;) etc etc.

For me at the minute the jury is still out. He will most probably be Armagh manager for another few years so we will have plenty of evidence of his worth then. It is my understanding that he has been working with others to improve football in the county from the academies up. If he succeeds here he will put the county in a secure footing. I hope he does.

We all hope he does.

And if was replaced at the end of the season we would hope that his replacement would succeed.

But some of the stuff we have seen has been shocking. Absolutely shocking.

For him to be the manager for another few years needs to be based upon him getting the best out the players. I'm really not sure we can say that he is

sligoman2

I seem to have stumbled into the mcgeeney thread. Anyone have directions back to the brolly thread?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Armamike

Joe does a lot of great things but he also makes a lot of assumptions.  He seems to know what Kieran McGeeney is thinking, which makes him telepathic or a bit of a bullshitter. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

smelmoth

Quote from: Armamike on April 13, 2016, 10:16:52 PM
Joe does a lot of great things but he also makes a lot of assumptions.  He seems to know what Kieran McGeeney is thinking, which makes him telepathic or a bit of a bullshitter.
Brolly says of McGeeney that the latter did not think the Kildare forwards were good enough and that is why he went looking for a forward elsewhere? Brolly claims that McGeeney's response to the collective failings of Armagh is to demand that the players put more in and is frustrated that they don't put in what he put in when he was their age.

Are these the big claims in the Brolly article that have you all excited?

Over the Bar

Punditry is the easiest job in GAA. Watching replays and saying what might have happened and spouting off criticising players and managers.  Why would RTE pay for a Joe Brolly when they could have a dozen of him for free on the terraces and pubs after every game!?

muppet

Quote from: sligoman2 on April 13, 2016, 10:15:38 PM
I seem to have stumbled into the mcgeeney thread. Anyone have directions back to the brolly thread?

Yes.

Invite yourself outside for a word & punch the right side of your face. Walk in the direction you are now facing, then shout 'houl on, houl on!' until you trip yourself up, shove your size 9s into your mouth and mumble something very offensive about Marty Morrisey, Sean Kavanagh and then Kieran McGeeney.

Shit, you end up back where you started.

Never mind.
MWWSI 2017

Armamike

Quote from: smelmoth on April 13, 2016, 10:29:27 PM
Quote from: Armamike on April 13, 2016, 10:16:52 PM
Brolly says of McGeeney that the latter did not think the Kildare forwards were good enough and that is why he went looking for a forward elsewhere? Brolly claims that McGeeney's response to the collective failings of Armagh is to demand that the players put more in and is frustrated that they don't put in what he put in when he was their age.

Are these the big claims in the Brolly article that have you all excited?

He seems to know what Kieran thinks of his players. I really doubt Kieran has confided in him. Joe makes great leaps of logic and assumes things. Not really based on much.

I'm quite calm actually. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

Applesisapples

I was disappointed but not surprised at BCB's appraisal and reasoning for the dearth of Cross players in the County panel. I wouldn't agree with the assessments of some Cross players as not being up to it by some on this board. Club football feeds County football and where you have a situation where only 1 player on the panel not even starting is the sole representation of the perennial County Champions for whatever reason, then your county team is always going to struggle. I would see through it if Armagh football was ultra competitive it isn't and Cross can win the league fielding half a team. This needs fixed, and that will take a willingness on all sides.

Disillusioned

In his article and in the podcast, Brolly didn't tell how he provoked Kieran McGeeney into telling him he was an awful waste of talent.  No doubt even at Eamon Coleman's funeral dinner Brolly was ensuring he was the centre of attention and more than likely he made some comment at McGeeney's expense that led to the reported comment.  However, one thing is for sure, Brolly never forgot McGeeney's retort that would have brought him to a halt at the dinner table as quickly as it would have done on the football field when trying to take on McGeeney.  Brolly just waited as the embarrassment of that day gnawed away at him for nine years for an opportunity to take his revenge. 

The global warming scenario is pretty grim. I'm not sure I like the idea of polar bears under a palm

illdecide

Quote from: smelmoth on April 13, 2016, 09:53:39 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 13, 2016, 09:13:15 AM
Why has KMCG grew into the man everyone loves to hate (exceptions of some Kildare men and Armagh folk), what has he done over the years that everyone wants to see him fail? If there is a piece of dirt out there someone will find it and throw it into the public domain. I know a few of the County lads and they all speak very highly of him yet people are trying to paint a different story, I can't think of another inter county manager who is under as much scrutiny as he is. Because he done/does martial arts then apparently he has the team doing it too, because he trained more than most apparently he has Armagh lads training 8 nights a week ;) etc etc. People should get a life and torture some other manager/s

While I think you're being a touch paranoid, I would guess there is a hefty percentage of the traditional GAA public who are a tad relieved that success requires good old fashioned skills, and this cannot be bypassed by extensive commitment and meticulous planning.

I think there is a lot in this.

I recall an earlier article (by some ex-Derry player) in which McGeeney said if he had of been introduced to MMA in his teens he would have never kicked a ball in anger. Maybe its the training and discipline that he is into rather than the skills of the game.

Smelmoth its quite clear and if i get the time i'll hunt out your posts that you are not a fan of KMcG and you wanted him sacked halfway thru the league if i recall rightly. What training and discipline are you referring too? Are you saying KMcG trains Armagh like MMA fighters? Are you saying he doesn't coach the skills of the game to the Armagh footballers? Or what r u saying?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Quote from: smelmoth on April 13, 2016, 10:05:31 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on April 13, 2016, 10:01:43 PM

We all hope he does.

And if was replaced at the end of the season we would hope that his replacement would succeed.

But some of the stuff we have seen has been shocking. Absolutely shocking.

For him to be the manager for another few years needs to be based upon him getting the best out the players. I'm really not sure we can say that he is

I rest my case ::)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JoG2

Quote from: Disillusioned on April 14, 2016, 09:00:46 AM
In his article and in the podcast, Brolly didn't tell how he provoked Kieran McGeeney into telling him he was an awful waste of talent.  No doubt even at Eamon Coleman's funeral dinner Brolly was ensuring he was the centre of attention and more than likely he made some comment at McGeeney's expense that led to the reported comment.  However, one thing is for sure, Brolly never forgot McGeeney's retort that would have brought him to a halt at the dinner table as quickly as it would have done on the football field when trying to take on McGeeney.  Brolly just waited as the embarrassment of that day gnawed away at him for nine years for an opportunity to take his revenge.

there's a best seller novel in you !

lenny

Quote from: Disillusioned on April 14, 2016, 09:00:46 AM

Funny enough, that was my thoughts as I read the article. Brolly just seemed to be waiting for the opportunity to tear mcgeeney to shreds. Oddly enough going into the championship Armagh seem to be in much better shape than Derry given that they finished the league strongly with decent results in their last 3 or 4 games which should give them confidence even though they were relegated. Derry on the other hand started the league with 2 wins over cavan and Fermanagh but since early February they haven't achieved a win. On that basis and the fact that Armagh totally outplayed derry, mcgeeney and Armagh were very unlucky to go down.