Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

He does a pretty good impersonation of Brian Mullins to be fair.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

WT4E

Joe's dead right about McGeeney - Sh1t manager!

I would say it was McGeeney taking something personal out in Joe in front of everyone at Eamon Colemans funeral and it back fired!

AZOffaly

Quote from: WT4E on April 11, 2016, 12:43:11 PM

I would say it was McGeeney taking something personal out in Joe in front of everyone at Eamon Colemans funeral and it back fired!

That funeral was 9 years ago. Does Joe really hold grudges like that for 9 years?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 11, 2016, 12:52:17 PM

That funeral was 9 years ago. Does Joe really hold grudges like that for 9 years?
A fairly short-term grudge by usual Irish standards that.

Keyboard Warrior

Didn't seem that he had a grudge.

AZOffaly

That's what I was saying. WT4E implied it was payback for something said 9 years ago. I'd say Brolly would have fired back way before now.

WT4E

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 11, 2016, 01:14:49 PM
That's what I was saying. WT4E implied it was payback for something said 9 years ago. I'd say Brolly would have fired back way before now.

Sorry dunno if you picked me up wrong or I didn't explain myself properly - I was thinking that the comment that McGeeney made at the funeral was maybe a dig at joe for something between him and McGeeney around that time.

AZOffaly

Quote from: WT4E on April 11, 2016, 01:28:36 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 11, 2016, 01:14:49 PM

Sorry dunno if you picked me up wrong or I didn't explain myself properly - I was thinking that the comment that McGeeney made at the funeral was maybe a dig at joe for something between him and McGeeney around that time.

Ah right. I thought you were saying it backfired because Joe has now written this article. I get you now.

Throw ball

A snapshot of the record of the last few Kildare managers. Decide for yourself if McGenney made a difference to them. I do not know enough about Kildare football.

http://kildaregaa365.com/index.php/manager-records-senior-football/

Jinxy

I think the point of the anecdote is to demonstrate that Geezer is never 'off'.
He's basically the terminator.
Grim, relentless, robotic, single-minded, big muscles etc.
Basically zero craic and not exactly a people person.
That works great when you're a player, less so when you're a manager.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thebuzz

Quote from: stew on April 09, 2016, 03:36:50 PM
Getting diesel in the moy this morning, I was pulled for being an armagh man by a tube that saw my armagh emblems on the car, apparently we are a shower of b**tards that got what we deserved last Sunday, I simply said he was right, we beat Derry and fully deserved to do so, I always thought down were the worst shower if b**tards in the gee, I am having second thoughts.

Thought this was a bit off topic based on the thread title. Joe must have thought so too so he's given us something else to talk about again with the McGeeney story.... :)

WT4E

Quote from: Throw ball on April 11, 2016, 01:37:06 PM
A snapshot of the record of the last few Kildare managers. Decide for yourself if McGenney made a difference to them. I do not know enough about Kildare football.

http://kildaregaa365.com/index.php/manager-records-senior-football/

I don't think any of those managers had the resources in terms of money that McGeeney was afforded and still no title!

Did he not leave Kildare in serious financial diffs?

Fuzzman

As a matter of interest how many of ye agree with Geezer that Brolly didn't really take his GAA career that seriously and wasted his talent?

Ethan Tremblay

From reading that he definitely seems to have an axe to grind with mcgeeney.  Perhaps mc geeneys  profile lends to more attention but as already stated, who else is talking about Armagh relegation nationally, there have been better national league stories he could lend his opinion on, e.g Roscommon's rise, Cavan's promotion, Tyrone's form, Donegal's mixed fortunes. 

With Kildare I felt they were more competitive and mcgeeny took them as far as he could, with Armagh I genuinely feel he doesn't have the team to compete, whether he thinks there shit or not how would Brolly know?
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

WT4E

I think by the way he was talking on the radio it was more a case of thinking about how great players don't always make great managers was his thought for the week.

As for Armagh do you genuinely believe they are a division 3 standard team?

Cross where within a whisker of getting another AI title and thats only some of the players at their disposal they have some other good footballers who all ireland minor medals in their back pockets.