Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on December 22, 2015, 01:17:26 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 22, 2015, 11:26:08 AM
Ah some of you are hilarious.

The All Blacks?? ;D

They play a minority sport devoid of skill and populated by roidheads and are the only nation who play the game where it is the no.1 sport in the country. Of course the only country who put the sport as no.1 and where the serious competition  is so shallow that it doesn't surpass any 10 teams of reasonable pedigree is going to be successful.

It would be like one Ulster county taking hurling seriously and being successful in Ulster confines.

McNulty is a massive bullshitter and Brolly is right here.

Rugby is just full of drugged up bodybuilders apparently.

Yes.

Franko

Quote from: INDIANA on December 22, 2015, 01:43:56 PM
Quote from: bannside on December 22, 2015, 01:30:44 AM
Not having a pop at Mc Nulty. Obviously well respected but.....read the piece again Beffs and please state what part you personally disagree with?

The power shower thing great when you win....but returning from the final this year my overriding emotion was that Kerry lost the final  (by missing scoring chances they would normally take in their sleep) more than Dublin won it. Or put it another way. Kerry were shite by their own very high standards and we're still therabouts at the end. The power shower thing only has to not work once and the manager is looking for a new psychology team for the following year.

Brolly never clarified whether he was talking about sports psychology or mental health in general . And because of this he looks like a prize idiot. Insensitive and stupid article in my opinion .

Here is the second paragraph of the article.

Though not quite as easy as the money made by sports psychologists, who continue to make fortunes from dressed-up statements of the obvious. The trick is to repeat them in the manner of Moses arriving back down from the mountain with the ten commandments.

At least read it before referencing it.  Prize idiot indeed.

ck

Brolly is usually on the money but exaggerates in the extreme for the sake of being entertaining.
His attacking on McNulty feels very personal but I'd guess McNulty (a man who thrives on publicity) will be happy enough. I've heard McNulty on radio and he speaks well but I often find myself thinking that he's a bullshitter. He's a name dropper and loves to claim major successes. Latest I heard was him talking about working with Microsoft and Apple. Not withstanding his work with the Leinster rugby team, his overwhelming appetite for self promotion is what I struggle with. On this one Brolly is spot on - let's see McNulty work with Wicklow, Louth or even Derry. Instead he'll wax lyrical about teams he has worked with, who were already successful!! Which makes his a bandwagon jumper, as well as a bullshitter.

Estimator

Derry had a Sports Psychologist working with them in '93 - Craig Mahoney. Though Brolly is on record talking about how little impact he had on the likes of Scullion and McGilligan.

Professor Mahoney is a former semi-professional squash player, who has coached and managed squash teams in Australia, Sweden and Ireland, and is also a qualified squash referee. With an international reputation as a sports psychologist, and the first person in the UK to hold dual accreditation from BASES, for Exercise Physiology and Sport Psychology, Professor Mahoney has worked with an extensive range of performers at World, Olympic and Commonwealth level and is an adviser to UEFA and FIFA on psychology in officiating. Amongst his greatest professional achievements as a sport psychologist he lists the 1993 All Ireland Gaelic Football title won by Doire County; two 3rd place finishes for the England Netball team in World and Commonwealth Championships; and several top ten finishes achieved by Irish sailors in the last four Olympiads.
Ulster League Champions 2009

screenexile

Quote from: Zulu on December 22, 2015, 03:27:09 PM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/struggling-players-better-off-listening-to-enda-mcnulty-than-joe-brolly-372799.html

Pretty much puts Joe back in his box. A disgraceful article by Joe in many ways.

Brolly's reply was "From the man who supervised Mayo's mental collapses under James Horan!"

blewuporstuffed

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/struggling-players-better-off-listening-to-enda-mcnulty-than-joe-brolly-372799.html

Pretty much puts Joe back in his box. A disgraceful article by Joe in many ways.
Excellent reply from Shannon.
Buts sure Joe has gotten the attention he craves from the first article, so it hardly matters that a lot of it is obviously rubbish.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Esmarelda

Quote from: screenexile on December 23, 2015, 11:21:44 AM

Brolly's reply was "From the man who supervised Mayo's mental collapses under James Horan!"
That's it Joe, ignore the points and play the man. The evolution of Joe into Dunphy is nauseating to watch.

DuffleKing

As far as I'm aware Leinster hadn't won a Heineken cup before McNulty started with them. Apple are also still waiting on their maiden European trophy.

You're right about promotion though - anyone self employed in this county should be banned from promoting their company. Or should we just ban lads that do well for themselves?

With each passing week I grow less tired of Brolly's inane retweet seeking drivel than I increasingly am of those who drink it all in because it's eloquent and inevitably tips it's hat to the grass cutter somewhere along the way

Zulu

Quote from: screenexile on December 23, 2015, 11:21:44 AM

Surely only underlines the paucity of Joe's point?

seafoid

Brolly is quite provocative. It is part of his personality. He is a 5 on the enneagram, I bet

Check out point number 6 below

https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/type-5/

Healthy Levels   1.(At Their Best) Become visionaries, broadly comprehending the world while penetrating it profoundly. Open-minded, take things in whole, in their true context. Make pioneering discoveries and find entirely new ways of doing and perceiving things.

2.Observe everything with extraordinary perceptiveness and insight. Most mentally alert, curious, searching intelligence: nothing escapes their notice. Foresight and prediction. Able to concentrate: become engrossed in what has caught their attention.

3.Attain skillful mastery of whatever interests them. Excited by knowledge: often become expert in some field. Innovative and inventive, producing extremely valuable, original works. Highly independent, idiosyncratic, and whimsical.

Average Levels

4.Begin conceptualizing and fine-tuning everything before acting—working things out in their minds: model building, preparing, practicing, and gathering more resources. Studious, acquiring technique. Become specialized, and often "intellectual," often challenging accepted ways of doing things.

5.Increasingly detached as they become involved with complicated ideas or imaginary worlds. Become preoccupied with their visions and interpretations rather than reality. Are fascinated by off-beat, esoteric subjects, even those involving dark and disturbing elements. Detached from the practical world, a "disembodied mind," although high-strung and intense.

6.Begin to take an antagonistic stance toward anything which would interfere with their inner world and personal vision. Become provocative and abrasive, with intentionally extreme and radical views. Cynical and argumentative.
- See more at: https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/type-5/#sthash.yyjMMMaz.dpuf
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

brokencrossbar1

Has anyone on here ever been exposed to a sports psychologist and their work.  I have and I must say that it was poor enough.  This person  is a renowned member of the profession but what was done with them was no different than the work I had been exposed to under Joe Kernan etc.  They didn't use any different phrases just had it up in 'thought bubbles' on a white board.  I think perhaps the generation that played up to say the mid 00's are skeptical to a degree because in many respects the majority of the good managers were 'psychologists' in their own right.  We did great stuff with Sean Boylan for instance in regards to visualization and focus and it was very spiritual but the next minute it was very much break the man in 2 attitude.  Sean O'Neill did a few great talks with us that would put any psychologist in their box.  These men are not coming with letters after their names but the do have a great human insight and a great understanding of the 'psychology' of winning.  I'd say the likes of Eamon Coleman, Paidi O Se et al were all very good 'psychologists' and they would have simplified the game the bare bones.  It is often made too complicated and as a result the need to get the extra edge has to be brought in from the outside as opposed to being the core value of the whole set up.

ck

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 23, 2015, 01:55:35 PM
Has anyone on here ever been exposed to a sports psychologist and their work.  I have and I must say that it was poor enough.  This person  is a renowned member of the profession but what was done with them was no different than the work I had been exposed to under Joe Kernan etc.  They didn't use any different phrases just had it up in 'thought bubbles' on a white board.  I think perhaps the generation that played up to say the mid 00's are skeptical to a degree because in many respects the majority of the good managers were 'psychologists' in their own right.  We did great stuff with Sean Boylan for instance in regards to visualization and focus and it was very spiritual but the next minute it was very much break the man in 2 attitude.  Sean O'Neill did a few great talks with us that would put any psychologist in their box.  These men are not coming with letters after their names but the do have a great human insight and a great understanding of the 'psychology' of winning.  I'd say the likes of Eamon Coleman, Paidi O Se et al were all very good 'psychologists' and they would have simplified the game the bare bones.  It is often made too complicated and as a result the need to get the extra edge has to be brought in from the outside as opposed to being the core value of the whole set up.

You played under Joe Kernan and Sean Boylan? How did you manage that?

muppet

Quote from: ck on December 23, 2015, 06:55:40 PM

You played under Joe Kernan and Sean Boylan? How did you manage that?

Thought bubbles.  :D
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

I'd suggest you haven't encountered a good qualified sports psychologist.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.