Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estimator

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 29, 2015, 03:44:52 PM
Quote from: Darby on September 29, 2015, 03:22:46 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 29, 2015, 10:40:45 AM
Off the top of my head, big games he has failed in:

Tyrone 03, 05, 08 and 15: Did not play well in 03, not bad in 15. Was Kerry's best player in 05 and 08 finals. In 05 he scored 0-5 and set up a goal. In 2008 he scored 0-6 (0-3 from play)
Dublin 15: Played terrible
Armagh 02 and 06: Played bad in 02 and in 06 he was only average, largely due to a lost season following his father's passing.
Derry 04: Best player on the field, scintillating. Scored 0-6, 0-5 from play.
Monaghan 07 and 08: Poor in 08. Very good in 07.
Cork 09: Played well. Scored 6 frees.
Down 10: By far Kerry's best player. Scored 0-7, 0-2 from play.
Donegal 12: Average

Poorish examples to be honest as I've highlighted above. I know you'll ignore though.

Cooper only scored three from play against Derry in 04 and was outscored in that particular area by both Paddy Bradley and Enda Muldoon who were feeding on scraps.

Nice little side step and misuse of the stats. Muldoon scored 1-1 that day inside the first 15 odd minutes, he didn't score for the rest of the game. Bradley (one of the forwards you keep comparing Cooper to) scored 0-5 from play + 1 free. Two of those Bradley pts came in the last 5mins when Kerry had all but packed up and headed back down the road. Derry scored the last 5pts in that match. Kerry were 11pts up at that stage. Derry failed to score for about 30mins in that match. Something that Bradley should not have allowed to happen. He should have been grabbing that game by the scruff and kick Derry into the final. That's not to mention the three or more handy frees that he missed. Those scores would have kept us ticking, but nevermind Paddy and Enda had better games than Cooper.
Ulster League Champions 2009

twohands!!!

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 29, 2015, 09:36:26 PM
Is he maligned? It's one person on here and Joe Brolly who are throwing this nonsense at him, hardly a full scale assault. I'm sure he'll not lose too much sleep over this.

Anyone beginning to think that il bomber destro might actually be the bould Joseph B?

It's the kind of thing that strikes me might well amuse Brolly.

Darby

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 29, 2015, 06:43:34 PM
Quote from: Darby on September 29, 2015, 03:56:57 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 29, 2015, 03:50:31 PM
Quote from: Darby on September 29, 2015, 03:47:30 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 29, 2015, 03:44:52 PM
Quote from: Darby on September 29, 2015, 03:22:46 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 29, 2015, 10:40:45 AM
Off the top of my head, big games he has failed in:

Tyrone 03, 05, 08 and 15: Did not play well in 03, not bad in 15. Was Kerry's best player in 05 and 08 finals. In 05 he scored 0-5 and set up a goal. In 2008 he scored 0-6 (0-3 from play)
Dublin 15: Played terrible
Armagh 02 and 06: Played bad in 02 and in 06 he was only average, largely due to a lost season following his father's passing.
Derry 04: Best player on the field, scintillating. Scored 0-6, 0-5 from play.
Monaghan 07 and 08: Poor in 08. Very good in 07.
Cork 09: Played well. Scored 6 frees.
Down 10: By far Kerry's best player. Scored 0-7, 0-2 from play.
Donegal 12: Average

Poorish examples to be honest as I've highlighted above. I know you'll ignore though.

Cooper only scored three from play against Derry in 04 and was outscored in that particular area by both Paddy Bradley and Enda Muldoon who were feeding on scraps.
Only 0-3 from play? Okay then, he didn't have a great game I suppose then. Especially seeing as Bradley and Muldoon outscored him. Safe to say he had a really, really bad game then.

Cooper should be judged under different standards to others. He's the guy who we are told us the greatest forward of his generation. There are a good 6 or 7 forwards playing in Ulster alone in his era I'd have ahead of him.
He is the greatest forward of his generation. Greatest forward I've seen. He played very well in a lot of the games you're peddling as bad performances. He was surrounded by great Kerry players in a lot of those matches, and still stood out as their best player in a lot of them. You're saying he's not even a great footballer. You think Donaghy's great. You know very little about football.

Great forwards do it when it really, really matters. Donaghy generally did it when they needed him, look at how he won them an All Ireland last year. Cooper just collapses when the pressure come round.

A great flat track bully but not a great player.
And as I've proven a few posts back, he has delivered in the games when the pressure comes around. Most of the games you cited as backups to what you say were games that he scored five or six points. Donaghy? An absolute pig's arse of a player.

Actual big games where Cooper didn't play well (unlike your hilariously inaccurate list)

02 v Armagh, 03 v Tyrone, 06 v Armagh (he is well known to have struggled in 06 following his father's death), 08 v Monaghan, 12 v Donegal, 15 v Dublin. 6 games in 14 seasons. Not all that bad at all.

Asal Mor

I was at the 2010 game v Down and it was that game more than any other that convinced me that Gooch was the best I've seen. Perfect shooting from outrageous angles and two of the greatest passes you'd ever see to put Donaghy in 1-on-1 with the keeper(keeper saved both times). That game was actually a perfect example of how good Gooch is under the toughest pressure.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 30, 2015, 12:57:04 AM
I was at the 2010 game v Down and it was that game more than any other that convinced me that Gooch was the best I've seen. Perfect shooting from outrageous angles and two of the greatest passes you'd ever see to put Donaghy in 1-on-1 with the keeper(keeper saved both times). That game was actually a perfect example of how good Gooch is under the toughest pressure.

You have very low standards, Damien Rafferty had him in his pocket. Poland must be an all time great if you consider Gooch a great off the back of that medicocre display. If anything that game showed how rudderless Kerry were at that particular time without the O'Se brothers. It was also a game that Down won comfortably so I don't know how you can say Gooch performed under the toughest of pressure.

Some of you are rewriting history in order to soften the blow of you being hoodwinked by the media into worshiping a false God.

Zulu

I have to hand it to you Bomber, you've listed games where the Gooch underperformed only for posters to prove he, in fact, did perform in many of those games, then you've listed games where other players (mainly from Ulster I note) did perform only for posters to come on a prove they, in fact, didn't perform, at least not by the standards you're holding Cooper to. And yet you still come on here and stick to your guns. Well I can only hope that for your own mental wellbeing and the mental wellbeing of those who encounter you daily that your on the wind up as AZ suggests. I presume you are as anyone simply giving a view on Cooper would have left this on we'll agree to disagree basis.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Zulu on September 30, 2015, 10:10:17 AM
I have to hand it to you Bomber, you've listed games where the Gooch underperformed only for posters to prove he, in fact, did perform in many of those games, then you've listed games where other players (mainly from Ulster I note) did perform only for posters to come on a prove they, in fact, didn't perform, at least not by the standards you're holding Cooper to. And yet you still come on here and stick to your guns. Well I can only hope that for your own mental wellbeing and the mental wellbeing of those who encounter you daily that your on the wind up as AZ suggests. I presume you are as anyone simply giving a view on Cooper would have left this on we'll agree to disagree basis.

You have a very low parameter for a great player if he performed in those games by your criteria.

Dessie Mone held Cooper to a point from play in two Championship games in 07 and 08.

Paddy Bradley took Mone for 2-06 from play in 2009 in Championship football and Bradley was pretty much a on man team who wasn't surrounded by top players.

imtommygunn

Are you Paddy Bradley? That might explain it.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 30, 2015, 11:06:42 AM

I'd be a bit embarrassed if I'd been mugged off and fully bought into the cult of Gooch too.

kerry_opinion

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 30, 2015, 11:06:42 AM

He is a big Francesco Totti fan as well. He seems to have a thing for star players in underperforming teams which probably explains his bitterness towards the Gooch.

Applesisapples

Is there any further point to this thread? Anyone who denies that Gooch was not a first class player knows little about the sport he is commenting on.

lenny

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 30, 2015, 02:40:29 PM
Is there any further point to this thread? Anyone who denies that Gooch was not a first class player knows little about the sport he is commenting on.

Agreed, let's get back to talking about brolly.

JoG2

Quote from: lenny on September 30, 2015, 03:36:17 PM

boys are talking to Brolly, about the Gooch ;-)

kerry_opinion

Quote from: JoG2 on September 30, 2015, 03:38:58 PM
Quote from: lenny on September 30, 2015, 03:36:17 PM

boys are talking to Brolly, about the Gooch ;-)

Indeed. The hero worship of a Derry man (Paddy Bradley) by a "Tyrone" man is another dead giveaway

Cmon Joe, just reveal yourself and be done with it  :)

ose 14

joe knows more about camogie than he does about the big ball ;)