Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Beffs on September 27, 2015, 01:50:34 PM
Bit harsh on a player coming back from a knee injury that was worse than most cruciate injuries. On a day when the conditions were horrific, one bad slip and he and his knee could have been dunzo for good. Physically, he's just not built for the rough stuff. Still, whether he likes it or not, Cooper being so comprehensively outfought last Sunday, will have a negative impact on his overall legacy imo. 

Luckily for him, the sheer number of former Kerry players with newspaper/telly/radio gigs and a largely deferential media, will ensure that any real & objective analysis of Gooch's career will never take place. When the likes of Brolly bring it up, they'll be dismissed as cranks. Business as usual !

But it's nothing new, it's just history repeating itself with Cooper.

Zulu

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 27, 2015, 11:42:43 AM
Brolly on Cooper today:

"when the heat is turned up, he disappears."

"In adversity, he fails."

"If Philly McMahon had tried that stuff with wee Peter (Canavan) he would have been waking up next morning with a very sore face and probably about 1-03 scored off him."

Is there a reason you're repeatedly bringing this up? You don't feel Cooper is amongst the greats, many would disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion, as is Brolly. However, you've made this point already as has Brolly so it's pointless doing so over and over again.

lenny

Brolly on Cooper today:

"If Philly McMahon had tried that stuff with wee Peter (Canavan) he would have been waking up next morning with a very sore face and probably about 1-03 scored off him."

Thats brollys opinion. Later in the article he says that Donaghy's catch from a hop ball was "impossible". That tells you all you need to know about brollys opinion and how he spins things to suit his argument.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Zulu on September 27, 2015, 02:32:33 PM
Brolly on Cooper today:

Is there a reason you're repeatedly bringing this up? You don't feel Cooper is amongst the greats, many would disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion, as is Brolly. However, you've made this point already as has Brolly so it's pointless doing so over and over again.

I'd like people to stop denying the holocaust and saying Cooper is a great when the evidence points other ways. Great players are the ones who do it when it really really matters, Cooper has throughout his career been shown to be a flat track bully but is given some revered and untouchable status by the GAA press.

Brolly is the only journalist to tackle this portrayal and was met with extreme hostility for expressing it. Time has vindicated him even further.

time ticking away

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 27, 2015, 03:19:09 PM
Brolly on Cooper today:

I'd like people to stop denying the holocaust and saying Cooper is a great when the evidence points other ways. Great players are the ones who do it when it really really matters, Cooper has throughout his career been shown to be a flat track bully but is given some revered and untouchable status by the GAA press.

Brolly is the only journalist to tackle this portrayal and was met with extreme hostility for expressing it. Time has vindicated him even further.
I didn't realize you held Brolly's opinion in such high esteem.
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

beer baron

He's good for a laugh is Joe,nothing more nothing less.

Zulu

Brolly on Cooper today:

It's opinions and that's all your's is, or perish the thought, even Joe's. Lots of people view Cooper a better player than you do so perhaps it's time you just left it at that?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Zulu on September 27, 2015, 03:43:39 PM
Brolly on Cooper today:

It's opinions and that's all your's is, or perish the thought, even Joe's. Lots of people view Cooper a better player than you do so perhaps it's time you just left it at that?

There's a body of evidence there that shows Cooper doesn't deliver when the pressure is on. Cooper may just be the greatest flat track bully ever but he's a good bit off a real great.

beer baron

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 27, 2015, 03:59:37 PM
Brolly on Cooper today:

There's a body of evidence there that shows Cooper doesn't deliver when the pressure is on. Cooper may just be the greatest flat track bully ever but he's a good bit off a real great.

You are very selective in what you call pressure though because there's a large body of evidence to suggest he does produce in pressure situations,nothing more high pressure than an All Ireland final and he's been the star in them. But just ignore that as it doesn't fit your narrative.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: beer baron on September 27, 2015, 04:08:46 PM
Brolly on Cooper today:

You are very selective in what you call pressure though because there's a large body of evidence to suggest he does produce in pressure situations,nothing more high pressure than an All Ireland final and he's been the star in them. But just ignore that as it doesn't fit your narrative.

And Cooper has now lost more than he has won.

beer baron

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 27, 2015, 04:19:03 PM
Brolly on Cooper today:

He's only 1 player, an unbelievably good 1 but still only 1 player,anyway i don't know why i even bothered replying here again, i know you've your mind made up and i've mine made up so i'll leave it at that.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: beer baron on September 27, 2015, 04:42:26 PM
Brolly on Cooper today:

He's only 1 player, an unbelievably good 1 but still only 1 player,anyway i don't know why i even bothered replying here again, i know you've your mind made up and i've mine made up so i'll leave it at that.

He's one player regarded as one of the greatest of all times. Generally I'd judge players of that reputation under those particular parameters and Cooper falls a long way short.

trileacman

I'd be interested in Canavan's opinion on this as Joe's so willing to name-drop him into this to back his half-brained assertions. A top forward's opinion on a top forward. Not the ramblings of a 2nd rate wannabe.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 27, 2015, 05:17:13 PM
Quote from: beer baron on September 27, 2015, 04:42:26 PM
Brolly on Cooper today:

He's one player regarded as one of the greatest of all times. Generally I'd judge players of that reputation under those particular parameters and Cooper falls a long way short.
No he doesn't, you're talking through your ass.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014