Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Any craic

Despite everything and when our sensitivities are put to one side, you have to say that he gives us something that no-one else can. When on form, he is entertaining, insightful, interesting, articulate, captivating and funny. He's different gravy, on a completely different level intellectually to Spillane or O'Rourke.

Jinxy

Quote from: Any craic on June 03, 2015, 01:52:18 AM
Despite everything and when our sensitivities are put to one side, you have to say that he gives us something that no-one else can. When on form, he is entertaining, insightful, interesting, articulate, captivating and funny. He's different gravy, on a completely different level intellectually to Spillane or O'Rourke.

Nonsense.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Last Man

+1, embrace the madness.

Brick Tamlin

+1
personally don't see why people get so annoyed by him.

Applesisapples

Am I alone in thinking that in spite of it being insulting, describing Cavan football as being as ugly as Marty Morrissey was actually funny? Being no oil painting myself, I would go on to say it is probably as ugly as appleisapples!

theticklemister

Counter-offensive from the pro-Brollys underway.

Applesisapples

No I'm not proJoe, he can be an annoying little shit at times. But sometimes even when someone is insulting your own, as Spillane did with Francie Bellew it can be funny.

Walter Cronc

Time for a few sensitive souls to get over it.

BluestackBoy

As far as his tv performances go, I agree he can be good, however his sneering & laughing at Spillane is tiresome in the extreme.

It was his article in the Independent on Sunday that really took the biscuit.

A more self pitying, self regarding pile of manure I have never read & I have read some crap in my time.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

JoG2

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 03, 2015, 08:48:50 AM
+1

because people need to be annoyed. It's what fuels the new age of social media. Typey typey type. Will be something else tomorrow, and something else the day after. 

DermyTDredi

Have you been smoking crack?
If the definition of entertaining is ridiculing people on a weekly basis without factual support nor substance, then he is the new Bob monkhouse.
being articulate should be a ticket to entry for a commentator
Insightful - occasionally, but more often than not he spends his time ridiculing people...quoting his daughter from an u14 team is hardly bleeding edge
Captivating...how?
funny...occasionally, no question...and when he is on a good day, he certainly puts the other 2 in the shade..but he's not qualified on a part-time basis.
he his different gravy for sure...I like my gravy thick

Jinxy

Quote from: JoG2 on June 03, 2015, 09:43:22 AM
+1

because people need to be annoyed. It's what fuels the new age of social media. Typey typey type. Will be something else tomorrow, and something else the day after.

Or maybe, just maybe, it was a completely unnecessary and hurtful thing to say about a colleague on live television?
A colleague who by all accounts is a very decent chap, despite the fact that he gives me a pain in my head as a commentator.
It's a decency issue I suppose.
Some people think you should be able to say whatever you like, about whoever you like, so long as it doesn't affect them.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

theticklemister

Quote from: Jinxy on June 03, 2015, 09:54:53 AM
+1

Or maybe, just maybe, it was a completely unnecessary and hurtful thing to say about a colleague on live television?
A colleague who by all accounts is a very decent chap, despite the fact that he gives me a pain in my head as a commentator.
Some people think you should be able to say whatever you like, about whoever you like, so long as it doesn't affect them.

+1

Snapchap

Not a case of pro or anti Brolly from me anyway on this point. I just think that if you are going to call a work colleague "ugly" on national television, and you then claim to accept you shouldn't have done so, then it's a tad pathetic to immediately follow up your apology with a column in a national newspaper which is full of pathetically lofty arguments surrounding the right to free speech, and freedom of expression, which seem totally out of place given the childish nature of the insult/joke he's trying to defend.

Like I say, it's not a case of pro-or anti- Brolly from me. He's capable of more insightful analysis of a game than the other regular pundits put together, but sadly, it's been probably 5-10 years since he has bothered doing so. He nowadays reminds me of Katie Hopkins across the water... they both aim to be talked about by being controversial and insulting and are both extremely effective at doing so, and sadly, he nowadays has about as much interest in providing actual football analysis as Katie does.

JoG2

Quote from: Jinxy on June 03, 2015, 09:54:53 AM
+1

I agree with this, and said so in this thread. But the ott top annoyance and 20+ posts by the same people on the subject is where I am coming from