All Ireland Club Hurling

Started by youbetterbelieveit, November 13, 2006, 11:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guillem2

Congratulations Clooney Gaels!! At least there will be one Ulster team in an All Ireland Hurling final this year.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

theskull1

Quote from: SlimShady on February 12, 2007, 09:35:45 AM
draw at half time, draw at full time, draw at half time in extra time and they were a point down with a few minutes left. 2 late points won it for them.

What a way to win a game at this level. They must have shown great character to have come out on the right side of this result. Does anyone have the dates for the final....I hear its going to be a flood lit game?

The Truth....if it took Cushendall to get beat yesterday for you to feel the need to sign up here just so you could give off about them then I don't think too many people will look forward to your future contributions on this board ....think about it :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

The Truth

Numbskull......I thought what i said was reasonably constructive ie lack of scoring power. Maybe i should have come on with the usual bullshit when we get beat down south...... moral victory, keep the head up, there is always next year blah blah blah. And i am not looking for your acceptance either....PS I dint know this site existed until last Friday
"We serve neither King nor Kaiser"

Glensman

For what its worth I agree with The Truth - not about the fact that The Skull is a numbskull at all rather about Cushendall's forwards. Too many were left wanting.

Sambo's son who no doubt is a great prospect was injured in the 1st half...whether he pulled a muscle or got a slap I do not know but wasn't right for the rest of the game...in that instance he should have been subbed. There were a couple of forwards brought on with about 3 minutes left. Not clinical enough from Skinner who has impressed me to date.
Bringing Jackie on was the right thing to do (ala Gary Docherty being fired on in the soccer)...last throw of the dice but arguably it was lost by then. They had the chances with frees and from open play but let it slip with some poor shooting and some over elaborate handpassing.

As  said on another thread if Cushendall regroup I am not sure if anyhting else in Antrim/Ulster will touch them. Impressed by Aidan and Sean Delargy.

theskull1

Nor do you need my acceptance, but you'll very soon end up looking like an asshole if you don't bring something more to proceedings....that was my point. You joined the board so that you make derogatory comments about another club (I'm presuming). To me that is not a good way to start of on this type of forum....it'll get you a bad name as does childish name calling  :). Please, feel free to ignore this advice if you want to

Getting back to the game, I think Cushendalls injuries had a big impact on thier performance up front in particular. Both Monty and Shane McNaughton were both carrying heavily strapped knees and I believe Declan McKillop had a stomach muscle injury. None of them had an impact on the game. Michael McCambridge returning from an ACL injury looked very rusty and played no part. Big players to loose for such an important game and if fit they could easily have contributed 3-4 points to the side. Loughrea look a very avaerage outfit and I think that Cushendall must know that they missed a glorious chance to get to the finals yesterday

Sky Blue

Who made you the moderator Skull? I didn't vote for you. You've only been around this board for 5 minutes yourself.

Syd The Sailor

Skull.......Monty has had some sort of strapping since he was about 16. They had the oppurtunity, werent good enough.
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

milltown row

well the truth, who in Antrim would have beaten that Loughrea side? Cushendall have dominated Antrim for the last two years, and have been there abouts for the last ten. so are the Antrim clubs not up to the mark?

Cushendall lost out because of the wide tally, they matched Loughrea in most departments but could not score, a dry sod and day would have given both teams a better return, Loughrea handled the conditions better. their forwards clicked at the Antrim final, so they do have it.

Aristotle Flynn

The difference between the the two semi finals was day and night. It's hard to tell how bad the conditions were on TV. Were they really that bad?
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

theskull1

Quote from: Sky Blue on February 12, 2007, 11:49:09 AM
Who made you the moderator Skull? I didn't vote for you. You've only been around this board for 5 minutes yourself.

WTF...I've been an active member of this board for over two years. If thats 5 minutes in your world SkyBlue then this board must have started in and around the time Babbage invented the computer. And since when did I hold myself as the moderator? I think it is fair advice to someone new...shit stirring are we?

Quote from: Syd The Sailor on February 12, 2007, 11:55:31 AM
Skull.......Monty has had some sort of strapping since he was about 16. They had the oppurtunity, werent good enough.

True but he normally uses the old neoprene knee bandage which only serves mainly as a comfort blanket to players (been there done it), but the strapping he had on his knee yesterday looked to be protecting a ligament injury. Maybe BoS can illuminate? Agreed they were not good enough. I am simply trying to suggest that injuries may have played a part in them not being good enough to win yesterday. Based on what they showed yesterday I can't believe how Loughrea got out of Galway. If Ballyhale can keep their feet on the ground then I can see Loughrea taking a real pasting on the 17th...but it doesn't always work that way does it?

johnneycool

This certainly was the one that got away for Cushendall. A bit more composure especially in their forwards at key times cost them badly. Neil McManus had two great point taking opportunities in the first half out on the right wing, he tried to place both rather than drill them over and both went wide. AD hit his usual high tally of wides per score ratio but in fairness to him he did show well for the ball and wasn't afraid to take on the chance when it arose. The Cushendall were tight throughout with Laffin showing well even though he should of let the ball into the forwards quicker than going on the Hollywood solo run.

Deccy Mckillop never struck leather all day and probably should of been called ashore earlier but with the weak bench I suppose options were limited. I would of threw big 'Jacqualine' on earlier as he's one hard f**ker to work with under the high ball, but nowadays they'd need to play it right down his throat.

There probably was too much white tape on a few of the Dall lads, Shane McNaughton, Monty etc, which means they probably haven't been able to train either in recent weeks. The Dall forwards in particular gave away too many soft frees allowing Loughrea easy clearances especially when they had them heemed in along the sidelines, probably bourne out of frustration but they really should of been keeping their discipline and make the defenders earn their clearances.

Great victory for Clooney Gaels and a nice wee run out on Croke Park and the chance to lift the title. Who do they play next?

milltown row

hogan stand:
Clooney Gaels' All-Ireland Final is due to be played on Sunday 11th March (not under lights) as part of a double-header with the Intermediate hurling final.
The Junior and Intermediate football finals are due to be played UNDER LIGHTS on Saturday 10th.

BottleOfStout

Quote from: johnneycool on February 12, 2007, 12:50:59 PM
This certainly was the one that got away for Cushendall. A bit more composure especially in their forwards at key times cost them badly. Neil McManus had two great point taking opportunities in the first half out on the right wing, he tried to place both rather than drill them over and both went wide. AD hit his usual high tally of wides per score ratio but in fairness to him he did show well for the ball and wasn't afraid to take on the chance when it arose. The Cushendall defence were tight

JC , I would agree with your view.  This a certainly a game Cushendall  could have won, possibly should have won. Bad misses and some silly decision making in the last ten minutes cost the game..  The defense was generally superb but from midfield upwards we just did not click.  The occasion may have gotten to the younger players who,  apart from Neil in the first half esp ( although he did miss two good chances) did not have a great impact.  Injuries almost certainly also had an effect.  I think Shane McN may have been struck off the ball in the first half and struggled for the rest of the game.    Declan McK also struggled and probably only started for the psychological impact.   Conor McCambridge has never worn a knee bandage,  but frequently wore the hamstring thingys.   Time has taken its toll (chronic problems with hip and now possibly knees) and do not be surprised if thats his last time in a Dall jersey.  
Loughrea , while a decent side are no world beaters and that is one match that go away.

Lets be positive,  from the starting 15 only Conor Mc C and AD are in their thirties and Ad has a few years left in him yet.  They will ( should) have other opportunities in the future ( hopefully !)

Syd The Sailor

Milltown...To say Cushendalls forwards clicked in Antrim Final and therefore "have it" is missing the point. Cushendall scored 2-12 i think (i may be wrong here) against a team that totally gave up and on a perfect day for hurling. Nobody will tell me that is a cricket score, as Skinner said yesterday the forwards lack of scoring has been the problem all year.
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

theskull1

Quote from: Syd The Sailor on February 12, 2007, 01:36:16 PM
Milltown...To say Cushendalls forwards clicked in Antrim Final and therefore "have it" is missing the point. Cushendall scored 2-12 i think (i may be wrong here) against a team that totally gave up and on a perfect day for hurling. Nobody will tell me that is a cricket score, as Skinner said yesterday the forwards lack of scoring has been the problem all year.

The fact that the Antrim Championship was won by a team which I agree lacks fluent forward play say's more about the rest of us does it not StS?  Cushendalls success over the past 2 years is primarily down to them being very defensive tactically. They play their 3/4 line way out the pitch to keep things very conjested at the back. In doing so they only have to deliver ball into space up front and if they are doing well defensively as they have done then the forwards that they only have to find enough ball to get them ahead of the oppositon even allowing for their misses as JC has mentioned. It worked for them up until yesterday.
Cushendall beat who was put in front of them in Antrim, so we can hardly misscall their short comings without exposing our own can we?