Connacht FBD League 2011 Extravaganza - Official Thread Anseo

Started by Barney, December 30, 2010, 10:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Cosmo Kramer

Mayo 0-8 Leitrim 0-1 at half time.

Ronaldson with 6, Campbell got the other two.

Half way through the second half - 0-9 to 0-1 to Mayo now.

Ciaran Naughton and James McAndrew on for their first Mayo appearances (that I am aware of at least).

Roscommon 1-15 GMIT 0-8 in the other game.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Cosmo Kramer

1-11 to 0-2 at the end.

Kilcoyne with the goal, Ronaldson with 0-7.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

ross4life

Rossfan

Didnt venture to Ballyforan as I didnt see any point.
From Co Board website :-
Roscommon defeated GMIT
  Date : 30/01/2011 15:25 

Roscommon defeated GMIT in the FBD League on a scoreline of 1-15 to 1-11. Team and scorers below

Eamon MacGinley

Jason Carney
John Nolan
Ronan Brady (0-1)

Richard Dooner
Conor Beirne
James McKeague (0-1)

James Connaughton
Seamus ONeill (0-1)

Cathal Shine (0-2)
Fintan Cregg (0-2)
Senan OGrady (0-1)

Terence Kelly
Jonathon Dunning (0-2)
Darragh Hussey

Subs used

Colm Garvey (0-1) for Richard Dooner
Brian Cregg (1-1 for James Connaughton
Cian Smith (0-3) for Senan OGrady
Jack Sharkey for James McKeague

Darren Clabby (Kilbride) scored 1-0 for GMIT

I suspect 14 of those 19 will not be involved in the Championship  !!!

Amazing amount of scores from the subs 3 of whom I suspect were called in from the crowd !!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mannix

moysider

Anybody make the trip to Ballinamore? Meant to but my youngest was playing a match in Heffernan Park and I d promised to attend his next home game. There s a good report already from Colm Gannon out there but wouldn't mind a bit more opinion.

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on January 30, 2011, 10:35:27 PM

Anybody make the trip to Ballinamore? Meant to but my youngest was playing a match in Heffernan Park and I d promised to attend his next home game. There s a good report already from Colm Gannon out there but wouldn't mind a bit more opinion.

I made the trip and will post something when I wake up!  ;)

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on January 31, 2011, 09:07:13 AM

That'll be Thursday oir Friday so?  :P
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 31, 2011, 11:02:43 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on January 31, 2011, 09:07:13 AM

That'll be Thursday oir Friday so?  :P

Ok I had had the porridge earlier and the morning coffee is kicking in so im ready to post!

As I said I made the trip to Ballinamore and I have to say it was a fairly impressive victory and, for the most part, a good performance by Mayo. Straight off the bat a few things impressed me that I hadn't seen before from Mayo teams.

Firstly the workrate by the forwards was exceptional in the first half. Leitrim were not given a second on the ball before being hounded and tackled by all the forwards so they found it really hard to work the ball out or set up anything. The half forward line especially put in trojan work and stopped Leitrim build every time. Its a tactic that Horan had drilled into us at club level and he seems to be employing the same with Mayo. It was great to see and was hopefully an awakening for some of the Mayo forwards who wouldnt be used to that level of working off the ball when the opposition in is possession.

The second thing that struck me was the movement of the ball into the forwards, some of which resulted in some great moves and open football in the first half, which is a change from the short passing and running game Mayo used to go on with. In fact, Mayo played some fine first time football moving the ball at pace and long to set up well worked first half scores.

At half time the score was 8 points to 1 and the second half the workrate dropped considerably in the second half which lead to Leitrim getting on more ball, although they didnt do much with it.   

Some will say that Leitrim were very poor, but I would contest that the reason they were bad was that Mayo didnt allow them to play for large periods which left them demoralised . A team that kicked 3-14 against GMIT a week previous, were made look shambolic and were out classed in defence, midfield and in the attack.

The full back line, after a busy start settled very well and were air tight against pacey Leitrim forwards. Hallinan and Richie Feeney stood out and hardly gave their men a sniff or clear shot off all day. Alan was a little shaky in the first few minutes and was a tad lose but he settled well after a while. At center back Cafferkey didnt look awfully comfortable but he delt with a few situations ok in the first half. He did have a few lapses in concentration, at least once in the first half trying to thread a ball through and a few towards the end which lead to passes being intercepted by Leitrim so he didnt look whoolly comfortable kick passing or finding a player. Im not sure if he is the solution at Centre Back but with another few games and confidence he could improve. The wing backs, James Burke and Barrett got through a lot of work but im not convinced by them yet. Id like to see more of James Burke before I make up my mind. He is a good footballer but is sort of unorthodox in a tackle, more of a stopper and putting the body in rather than technically picking the pocket or turning over the ball. Alternatively Barrett gets through a lot of spade work and tackling but im not sure if he has the body to stop runners and, ball in hand, he sometimes looks unsure and checks back to recycle the ball backwards. McGloughlin did himself favourably as he was very good when he came on for a spell towards the end so he could shade it against Down.

We won mid-field in the first half where Jason Gibbons did well, worked hard and burst forward a few times and James Moran, although quieter did the small things right. We were winning the brake count and most of the possession in the first half but in the second Jason Gibbons really started to dominate winning a few clean catches and sending sublime 40+ yard passes first time into the forwards. In fact, every time he go the ball he was looking up to see runners and send it in which suited or forward line who were out in front. He really looked the part yesterday and himself and McGarity may be the partnership in the future.

Up front it was mostly a good day at the office. Aidan Campbell had a great first half, going up to win kickouts, tackling and turning over possession, and kicking two brilliant scores. He played like an ideal number 10. In the second half he was a bit quieter but with a bit more fitness and match practice but we could see more of him. Austy surprisingly didnt do much wrong and distributed the ball well, sneaking passes over the top to Ronaldson and Freeman who were causing Leitrim serious problems. He was solid enough. Andy Moran worked his socks off all throughout and was honest as the day was long. He kicked two from play but had a few wides which he needs to improve on but I would also but id commend he workrate and brake winning ability the last day. Inside, Ronaldson started for Benson who injured his hand in the warm-up. Rondalson was scurrying around and being his usual busy self and got on the end of some great attacking moves. Alan Freeman also did very well winning all sorts of 50-50 balls and linking up really well with Ronaldson. I dont think Freeman got a score but could have been involved in a large portion of the scores from play so I was very happy with him. Kilcoyne was trying hard but I would be most critical of him in the forwards simply because he wasnt passing when it was on, and was very greedy in possession. For instance getting possession on your wrong side, near the endline and going for your own score (only to blast wide or at the keeper) from tight angles when possible goal chances were on if he passed it across was frustrating to watch.

All in all, I was happy with a lot of the performances although we did let it drop a bit in the second half. I dont know if we learned enough beating Leitrim so convincingly but then again a win like that is good for confidence and morale and show what level of workrate is required and what it can do.

Of the subs that came on Naughton came in for O Malley and I dont think there is a lot between them. O Malley may have a slightly better kickout but Naughton could be the better shot stopper so it remains to be seen. Cuinniffe came on for Alan Feeney who liiked like he had injured his hand and did well. He broke a few balls and did fine in a crowded half back line after Leitrim left their two forwards in on their own for a large spell in the second half. I mentioned McGloughlins contribution when he came on which included some piercing runs and general good play. McAndrew came on for Austy and looked a bit behind the pace. As a footballer he looks good and he has something but it really, really is a shame that he wasnt picked up in his early 20's and given a proper chance. Nestor came on for Barrett and got on the ball a few times but wasnt on long enough to make an impression.

Still a lot of questions for management with a lot of players having a fighting chance and perhaps good enough. Where else would we rather be?

Roll on Down

RedandGreenSniper

It is amazing that something so basic as the forwards working when we don't have the ball is a new thing for Mayo. It tells you a lot. Although I will say of Horan that he did have the Ballintubber forwards working to a ferocious extent last year.

I'd be inclined to agree with you about Chris Barrett Abbeysider. He's a very courageous player but I just don't see him being physically strong enough. He's not gonna get any bigger now either. James Burke, as I said before, I think definitely has something. Time will tell and I hope he at least gets the time.

Good to hear Gibbons was good in midfield. There's little doubt that when he's playing well, he's a serious operator and his long-range kickpassing is exceptional. Playing to his ability, he's in the Mayo starting team.

Aidan Campbell needs time to get back to the level and at this stage all I'd like to see out of him is the right attitude and flashes of what he can do. Sounds like we got that and more yesterday. Great to hear. Alan Freeman is a great addition too. Its strange, he goes into this NFL campaign with only five starts for Mayo (in all senior competitions) and is a guy we're expecting an awful lot out of because of his excellent performances in the two shambolic championship games last year. I hope he's not under too much pressure. He's definitely good enough but I would contend he is still finding his feet at this level.

Really, really looking forward to Saturday now. Hope there's 10k or more at it.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year