Setanta hurling All-Stars

Started by GalwayBayBoy, September 14, 2008, 03:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

The more I think about it, the more I think Henry should not get an all-star this year. He had an average Leinster Championship, but was back to his brilliant self in the semi-final and final. You could argue that, as always, he was superb when Kilkenny needed him most, and I would fully agree, but the all stars are supposed to be awarded to those who have performed best over the course of a season.
Given that criterion you can't justify his inclusion over Eoin Kelly(W'ford), Ben O Connor or any of the other 5 forwards in the above line - up. He is the best hurler I've ever seen and I imagine he will receive an All - Star, but the other main contenders have been more consistent.
Of course, the reason for his relatively poor Leinster campaign was that he was not long back from a long lay-off. Had that not been the case he'd probably have been  challenging Eoin Larkin for hurler of the year.

youngfella

Kinghenry gets for to two reasons, he had two amazing games and the GAA need to have a few big names in the mix.

But kelly scored heavily and consistanly throught the year http://www.hoganstand.com/general/topscorers/2008/hurling.aspx Could you imagine the finals score without his frees? Think that was a bit harsh on him, esp after that great photo of him with the wife and kid but anyway....
Pull hard and early

orangeman

Of course Henry has to get an All Star - nobody comes close to him in terms of pure brilliance and overall contribution to the team.

Reillers

Ya but when, Henry had a poor Leinster championship, there are players there from other counties who have been more consistant and just as good threwout the whole season.
But he'll probably get the all star, I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't out 15 All Stars to KK, even if there were better players there, because of association they'll get 15 of them. I said that at the start and I'll say it again. They'll put in other players as well as options but they'll just be there to make up the numbers.

INDIANA

true i suppose cork never availed of the soft all-stars as well? i can think of a few. happens every year to whatever team wins the all-ireland. dublin fwd david o callaghan has a better overall year than some of the kileknny forwards taking the league and championship into account but he won;t get a nomination. there has never been an awards system in any sport in the world that wasn't favoured heavily on the outright winners. mighn't be fair but it's hardly likely to change.

EddieMerx

Quote from: INDIANA on September 25, 2008, 11:14:50 PM
dublin fwd david o callaghan has a better overall year than some of the kileknny forwards taking the league and championship into account but he won;t get a nomination. there has never been an awards system in any sport in the world that wasn't favoured heavily on the outright winners. mighn't be fair but it's hardly likely to change.

;D ;D ;)