The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Leeds United are plotting an ambitious move for Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard if they secure promotion to England's top flight...Stay away Leeds please.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

ned

Quote from: illdecide on July 05, 2020, 06:48:40 PM
Leeds United are plotting an ambitious move for Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard if they secure promotion to England's top flight...Stay away Leeds please.

Odsonne is destined for bigger things. Leeds would be a stepping stone, like VVD to Southampton, and under Bielsa a good one. Hoping he goes straight to a big team like Bayern or Juve!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: illdecide on July 05, 2020, 06:48:40 PM

Talk like this makes me distinctly nervous. At this stage of next season, we could be desperately hoping for a win to take us out of the Championship relegation zone, having lost Bielsa after failure to win the 2019 / 20 play offs and having sold all the family china to make ends meet, with Phillips strutting his stuff with Leicester.

ONeill

Not trying to make you more nervous, but if Leeds do go up.. have they the dough to invest heavily?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: ONeill on July 07, 2020, 05:45:25 PM
Not trying to make you more nervous, but if Leeds do go up.. have they the dough to invest heavily?

A good question and I'm not sure I have the answer. Some of the other Leeds' supporters here might have better insight.

At this moment in time though, I would say a resounding 'no'. Radrizzani is rich but not by the standards of other football club owners and his investment in Bielsa - along with some investment in the squad - appears to be very much a major financial gamble to try and get them to the promised land. However it is my understanding that if Leeds don't go up, then a lot of the playing assets will be let go as we cut our cloth, and there is an acceptance that Bielsa - the highest paid manager in the division - will be off.

However behind all of that are the stories that come to the fore every now and then linking Leeds with Qatar Sports Investments, with Radrizzani said to be close friends with very influential / important people in Qatar. These stories include talk of Leeds becoming a feeder club for PSG, with Leeds getting a lot of favourable loan deals for top class players.

It could all be pie in the sky, but the sense I always got was that Radrizzani was desperate to get Leeds to the Premier League and to cash in big time on his investment.

Mourne Rover

That was an outstanding performance from Leeds this evening, even if Stoke engaged in comical defending for the first two goals. Seven points from the final four games to guarantee promotion is a great prospect until we remember that last year, needing ten points out of the last 12, we only managed one. It is difficult to see a collapse on such a scale again, but it is still a roller coaster league. The pressure was all on Leeds tonight and the squad delivered in a big way. Brentford have no margin for error away to Derby on Saturday so the spotlight moves on to them.

ONeill

On 44 mins I feared the worst for Leeds. Then the floodgates opened. I think that was the game Leeds needed to see this through.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Swansea 0 Leeds 1

Hernández, 89th minute
That is winning in style.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mourne Rover

Hernandez is a gem, pure and simple. Leeds have now taken 28 points out of the last 33, which is magnificent form under the pressure which is out there. No one will have forgotten the late collapse which followed the Wigan disaster last season, so hopefully the players will be calmer than the fans going into the Barnsley game.

Rufus T Firefly

A victory that for me brought back memories of the late winner scored by Roofe at Villa Park at Christmas 2018. I was elated then and was elated today.

Some have described today's goal by Pablo as the most important since we got relegated. It's maybe splitting hairs, but for me Beckford's against Bristol Rovers in 2010 slightly shades it. Regardless though, it was a huge goal in a huge match.

We are well placed, yes, but I refuse to count any chickens.  :-X

Dougal Maguire

I think playing behind closed doors is helping them in that there's no crowd tension.
Careful now

Billys Boots

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 13, 2020, 10:11:20 AM
I think playing behind closed doors is helping them in that there's no crowd tension.

I think they learned some massive lessons about football (and themselves) last season.  Not there yet. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

seafoid

The Covid break meant they weren't as tired.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dublin7

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 12, 2020, 11:36:13 PM
A victory that for me brought back memories of the late winner scored by Roofe at Villa Park at Christmas 2018. I was elated then and was elated today.

Some have described today's goal by Pablo as the most important since we got relegated. It's maybe splitting hairs, but for me Beckford's against Bristol Rovers in 2010 slightly shades it. Regardless though, it was a huge goal in a huge match.

We are well placed, yes, but I refuse to count any chickens.  :-X

Getting out of League One was a far bigger deal than getting out of the championship. Without that goal things could have gotten alot worse for Leeds and no telling how long it would have taken to turn things around.

A  win against Barnsley should be enough. The 5-0 hammering of Stoke was a huge boos to their goal difference as well and puts them ahead of West Brom if they finish level on points. That's worth an extra point at this stage of the season

Mourne Rover

Getting out of league one was important, but Leeds had already been there for three seasons, and, with big crowds still turning up, a fourth year might have been manageable. The club has now been outside the premiership since 2004 and the recruitment of Bielsa as part of a hugely expensive coaching team was widely regarded as a last throw of the dice. If promotion does not follow, Bielsa and many of the senior players will undoubtedly go and a struggle at the wrong end of the championship looks inevitable. All the covid upheaval piles on the financial pressure so it is an exceptionally nervous period.