The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on May 11, 2019, 06:19:19 PM
Poor from Luke McGrath just before HT..10-3 up and clock in the red he should have put it off the park.  Goes for a box kick..pen conceded..Farrell kicks to corner and Sarries work a try and Farrell converts to go in level at HT..could be a costly error

100%. Such an average player. Wouldn't have him near the RWC squad.

David McKeown

In the end the key decisions go Saracens way and as a result they are victorious. Two excellent teams who produced a great final.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

screenexile

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 11, 2019, 06:53:28 PM
Poor from Luke McGrath just before HT..10-3 up and clock in the red he should have put it off the park.  Goes for a box kick..pen conceded..Farrell kicks to corner and Sarries work a try and Farrell converts to go in level at HT..could be a costly error

Serious mistake there was absolutely no need for it!!

I think that game will cost him his place! You'd imagine Cooney and Marmion will be there!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on May 11, 2019, 07:14:55 PM

I think that game will cost him his place! You'd imagine Cooney and Marmion will be there!

He done the same with 2 mins to go against NZ in November. You can't be at that.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 11, 2019, 07:28:26 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 11, 2019, 07:14:55 PM

He done the same with 2 mins to go against NZ in November. You can't be at that.
Was watching it later as i recorded it. Proper dunce! Was shouting at tv for him just just knock it out! Regroup ht!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Owen Brannigan

Vunipola try down to four small players trying to drag down a giant while Kearney stood back gormlessly watching.

Wonder boy of the media, Larmour, was caught out too often, his credentials for claiming an Ireland full back spot were swept away with poor ball handling when on his own inside the 22 on a number of occasions. Also had a lesson from Liam Williams on how to play on the wing, had the ball stripped from him when a sure try was on if he had passed the ball.

Sexton spent too much time tackling big men when he should be the playmaker. Leinster needed a captain and today it wasn't Sexton.

Leinster couldn't match the strength and physical size of Saracens from 1 to 15.

The depth of the Leinster squad wasn't there despite how it is hyped up.

The money of Saracens paid off with ability to bring in top players and build a very strong squad.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 11, 2019, 09:09:18 PM
Vunipola try down to four small players trying to drag down a giant while Kearney stood back gormlessly watching.

Wonder boy of the media, Larmour, was caught out too often, his credentials for claiming an Ireland full back spot were swept away with poor ball handling when on his own inside the 22 on a number of occasions. Also had a lesson from Liam Williams on how to play on the wing, had the ball stripped from him when a sure try was on if he had passed the ball.

Sexton spent too much time tackling big men when he should be the playmaker. Leinster needed a captain and today it wasn't Sexton.

Leinster couldn't match the strength and physical size of Saracens from 1 to 15.

The money of Saracens paid off with ability to bring in top players and build a very strong squad.

Some credit for McCall also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

michaelg

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 11, 2019, 09:15:37 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 11, 2019, 09:09:18 PM

Some credit for McCall also
SUFTUM

Walter Cronc

I'm no Leinster fan but a few points OB.

- Leinster arguably missing 3 starters in Leavy, Van Der Flier and you could say Carbery. That would have made a fair difference.

- Leinster reached the European final playing in 3rd gear all season.

- Saracens brought a fair few of those lads through the academy - Farrell, George, Kruis, Itoje to name a few. 2 Vunipolas joined as young lads.

Tony Baloney

Jackson Wray was definitely in the Sarries Academy and I think Goode was too. Yes they have cash to pay top dollar but that's an impressive conveyor belt.

screenexile

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 11, 2019, 09:31:47 PM

- Leinster arguably missing 3 starters in Leavy, Van Der Flier and you could say Carbery. That would have made a fair difference.

- Saracens brought a fair few of those lads through the academy - Farrell, George, Kruis, Itoje to name a few. 2 Vunipolas joined as young lads.

I don't think you can say Carbery to be fair!

What were the thoughts on Garces? I didn't get to give the game my full attention but he seemed to still be very slack on the offside/coming in from the side/supporting your body weight particularly in Sarries favour?

Did any of you more knowledgeable rugby heads think this??

andoireabu

- Leinster arguably missing 3 starters in Leavy, Van Der Flier and you could say Carbery. That would have made a fair difference. bollocks. They have the squad they have and they have advantages over the the other 3 provinces. You don't see many moving from the other three provinces to leinster. One way traffic.

- Leinster reached the European final playing in 3rd gear all season. so what? If they coast to the final but can't lift themselves for the final, that is their problem. Nobody else's

Few points bolded above.

Saracens were the better team. Ijote probably should have got the line but even so, Leinster never looked the better team. Garces was poor is certain aspects but he didnt lose leinster that game.

Walter, you are a decent poster on the rugby threads but i think you are wrong here. Leinster wouldn't have won if van der flier, leavy and carbery had started. Saracens were just better
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Walter Cronc

Not saying they would have won, but certainly Leavy is a massive loss. Most physical loose forward in Irish rugby.

IMO its a testament to their squad the fact they have played in 3rd gear all season that they reached a final.

Regarding Garces, yeah he was sloppy but we all knew that coming into the game. Leinster knew Saracens have a rush defence yet didn't vary it. Even a few grubbers, cross field kicks to Lowe would have made them think.

The two turning points were Ringrose failing to exploit the 5 on 3 and McGrath. Is it any wonder they tried to poach Casey from Munster  ;D

The worry for me was it all looked very similar to Ireland and is what we could see if we meet the Saffas in Japan unless Schmidt varies it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on May 12, 2019, 01:51:32 AM

I don't think you can say Carbery to be fair!

What were the thoughts on Garces? I didn't get to give the game my full attention but he seemed to still be very slack on the offside/coming in from the side/supporting your body weight particularly in Sarries favour?

Did any of you more knowledgeable rugby heads think this??
It was known before the game that Garces doesn't give a shit about refereeing the breakdown. That's the way he referees. French refs should never be allowed near these big finals.

Falcao

Wasn't McGrath's call to keep the ball in play just before half time