Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Quote from: paddyjohn on August 02, 2018, 11:42:35 AM
Quote from: Last Man on August 02, 2018, 11:20:51 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on August 02, 2018, 10:54:31 AM
Seemed an interesting few minutes in the Ossians V Tir na og game last!
They wouldn't be fans of the ref involved and maybe had a mini meltdown after losing 2 men but thankfully good sense prevailed. Div 2 has been poor this year after a reasonable start.

I wouldn't be one for slagging refs off, but I think quite a few have issues with the ref involved.

He's not that bad if you cut him a bit of slack. Going head to head with him never ends well though. Soon as players get this the pitch will be a happier place.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Last Man on August 02, 2018, 04:39:43 PM
They wouldn't be fans of the ref involved and maybe had a mini meltdown after losing 2 men but thankfully good sense prevailed. Div 2 has been poor this year after a reasonable start.

I wouldn't be one for slagging refs off, but I think quite a few have issues with the ref involved.

He's not that bad if you cut him a bit of slack. Going head to head with him never ends well though. Soon as players get this the pitch will be a happier place.

Personally speaking, I've never had any issues with him but from attending games as a neutral that he's reffed at, feedback isn't good.

Again, it's a horrible job.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on August 02, 2018, 09:10:43 PM
Quote from: Last Man on August 02, 2018, 04:39:43 PM

Personally speaking, I've never had any issues with him but from attending games as a neutral that he's reffed at, feedback isn't good.

Again, it's a horrible job.

It can be, then sometimes you're involved in a game which is epic! No referee goes out to have a bad game, neither does a player
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

themac_23

As the old saying goes, without them there's no game! As I've gotten bolder I've tended to say thank you to a referee after a win lose or draw. If I think they've had a good game I'll mention it. Sometimes the ref might think I'm taking the piss but I do be genuine, I think the older you get and have a family etc you realise these are people giving up their time for the game same as me. What hit home to me one tome was a referee getting dogs abuse for a whole game, reserve game nothing above the usual didn't know what he was doing etc. I didn't realise until after the game he had his young son with him who came to watch a game his father was involved in and listen to his da take abuse for an hour. That really hit home to me, no body else's son there had to see their father take 60 mins abuse. Was just a small thing but made me think.

whatwillbwillb

It has to be said though that lad brings a lot of it on himself to be fair, attitude stinks, his communication is poor and instead of controlling it he tends to mirror the situation... seen him at Ahoghill recently definitely not his best day.

Jesusjones

Most referees do it for the love of the game. In fact it could be argued that to do their job shows a greater love than playing or coaching a team. Fair play to them.

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: Jesusjones on August 03, 2018, 06:23:28 AM
Most referees do it for the love of the game. In fact it could be argued that to do their job shows a greater love than playing or coaching a team. Fair play to them.

Most referees would do it for their club because if a club fails to provide a referee they forfeit all home games.

That was the only reason I did it and I really didnt enjoy it. The abuse you had to put up with..

I gave it up after I was attacked on the pitch by a spectator.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on August 03, 2018, 08:04:07 AM
Quote from: Jesusjones on August 03, 2018, 06:23:28 AM

Most referees would do it for their club because if a club fails to provide a referee they forfeit all home games.

That was the only reason I did it and I really didnt enjoy it. The abuse you had to put up with..

I gave it up after I was attacked on the pitch by a spectator.

Yeah there is a bit of, putting something back in, I've given enough abuse to the ref so I'll see how difficult it is attitude... club needed referee's was the other reason as you have said, personally I was looking for something to keep me involved, I was still playing and looking after teams so at the start I wasnt doing that many games, took a break for a couple of years at hurling level as i was looking after our seniors which took up a lot of time and committment.

Refereeing as its high points and the very low points as Coaster has said, there is no excuse for a player/manager or supporter attacking anyone during or after a game, I've had a few confrontations with people over the years, ones telling you to ignore it and so on, well I'm sorry, if some clampit wants to have a go at me, I'll pull him..

Supporters think because they are behind the fence and have paid in that you and the other officials are fair game, I think its getting worse too. All clubs have that buck ejjit, but until they are fined by the county or their games are played away from home then it will continue!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

playwiththewind1st

The county does its best to oversee refereeing standards, but the problem is that refereeing is pretty much an individual thing. By that I mean that different people probably get into it for different reasons,  it's down to them how much work they put in in the gym & how often they take a quick look at the rule book etc. As has been said on here before, no referee gives a toss who wins & who loses a game - there's no vested interest. However, supporters do & they take it out on the referee, as do a lot of players. We are talking about the possibility of having 2 refs for a game. Maybe at inter-County level, but we can barely get 1 for club games. There will always be a recruitment problem until we tackle the abuse that referees have to take more seriously.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on August 03, 2018, 09:50:47 AM
The county does its best to oversee refereeing standards, but the problem is that refereeing is pretty much an individual thing. By that I mean that different people probably get into it for different reasons,  it's down to them how much work they put in in the gym & how often they take a quick look at the rule book etc. As has been said on here before, no referee gives a toss who wins & who loses a game - there's no vested interest. However, supporters do & they take it out on the referee, as do a lot of players. We are talking about the possibility of having 2 refs for a game. Maybe at inter-County level, but we can barely get 1 for club games. There will always be a recruitment problem until we tackle the abuse that referees have to take more seriously.

But my problem and players problems are consistency from referees, they have to play the ref, there are some who are really strict on how many steps you take, tough on getting the handpass spot on certain tackles are noted some not, there are a  few other traits that referees, mainly ones that played for their club, bring to the game.. So my point is having two referees at either end putting their stamp on the game would only balls things up I think...

If the referee is fit enough and well placed then he's generally not too far away, but its hurling, I could be on the 45 and the next thing the ball is on the other 14 yard line! The fat 70 year old hanging over the fence shouting at the ref to keep up with play makes me chuckle though

SillyAsFaugh

Giving refs a hard time, imagine  ::)

Last Man

Quote from: hardstation on August 03, 2018, 11:07:58 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 03, 2018, 10:18:57 AM

But my problem and players problems are consistency from referees, they have to play the ref, there are some who are really strict on how many steps you take, tough on getting the handpass spot on certain tackles are noted some not, there are a  few other traits that referees, mainly ones that played for their club, bring to the game.. So my point is having two referees at either end putting their stamp on the game would only balls things up I think...

If the referee is fit enough and well placed then he's generally not too far away, but its hurling, I could be on the 45 and the next thing the ball is on the other 14 yard line! The fat 70 year old hanging over the fence shouting at the ref to keep up with play makes me chuckle though
Because the fat 70 year old is fat and 70 doesn't necessarily make him wrong though. What I mean is, just because he couldn't do it doesn't mean it shouldn't be expected from the referee. The fat 70 year old (or even a slim 40 year old) would also have an opinion on player performance. Just because they aren't able to do it doesn't mean they aren't right about what needs to be done. Team managers aren't able to do what they expect their players to do for example.
I agree the spectator/coach whoever might be right but they nearly always have a different line of sight to an alleged foul than the ref so there cant be a consensus every time. I've given my fair share of stick to refs including Milltown the odd time but decided in recent years, what's the point. In competitive sport you have to look for any advantage you can, getting up the ref's nose is not helping your cause. From a spectating point of view, I don't see a problem shouting at the referee as long as its not personal or nasty. It all adds to the atmosphere and spectacle.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on August 03, 2018, 11:07:58 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 03, 2018, 10:18:57 AM

Because the fat 70 year old is fat and 70 doesn't necessarily make him wrong though. What I mean is, just because he couldn't do it doesn't mean it shouldn't be expected from the referee. The fat 70 year old (or even a slim 40 year old) would also have an opinion on player performance. Just because they aren't able to do it doesn't mean they aren't right about what needs to be done. Team managers aren't able to do what they expect their players to do for example.

It does when he tries to make an opinion on something that hes wrong about (not knowing the rules) and 70 yards away on the otherside of the pitch, he's wrong because he's assuming that a referee will be able to make the 70 yard dash to get to the 21 yard line to 'keep up with play' rant and he's wrong for shouting at a referee who gives up his time to referee the game for him to watch.

So In my view he's out of order when he's shouting at the referee, as it will never change his view on how the referee will see it and it may (for some refs) make him lose his judgement on other calls that this 'supporter' feels his team should get, human nature being as it is  ;)

Like Ive said before, if i sat the supporter down with a set of rules I doubt very much he's get 10 out of 50 right

MoChara

If you blew everything that is strictly speaking a free in hurling it would be a dire affair. I think this is what makes it particularly hard for Referees, generally if the referee is consistent to both sides what he will and won't let run he's doing a good job.

If he became a stickler and never took the whistle out of his mouth he'd be thought much the worse.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: MoChara on August 03, 2018, 12:28:57 PM
If you blew everything that is strictly speaking a free in hurling it would be a dire affair. I think this is what makes it particularly hard for Referees, generally if the referee is consistent to both sides what he will and won't let run he's doing a good job.

If he became a stickler and never took the whistle out of his mouth he'd be thought much the worse.

100%

The advantage rule works to a point, I much preferred the old unofficial adavange rule were you allowed the player the extra couple of steps for being held back or the late whistle call when you seen nothing come from play after a 'foul'

I think its easier to ref if you have played and know the tricks and cons players try during the match, well it certainly helps but we have plenty good referees that have never played but some of them don't get the respect they deserve because of it...

but like in all sports some could do with more training, and nothing wrong with that, the improvement/set up in how Antrim referee committiee have shown in the past 10 years has been great.. the initial course is excellent and the prep for the start of the season with Ulster delegates, past referees is great. for anyone wanting to referee the championship, they must past the exam and must past the fitness test.. a 20m bleep test which is tough enough for some referees considering they are past their playing days..