Laois Senior Hurling Championship 2019

Started by The PRO, February 28, 2019, 09:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Was away and missed the games at the weekend.

Sounds like Camross are building.
Castletown possibly building, but these kind of defeats can leave scars.
Ballinakill look finished to me.
Borris Kilcotton will hardly have learned anything?
Portlaoise are in a very strange place. I wouldn't have them as favourites to win Senior A next year.

I think Rathdowney Errill will have gotten the draw they really wanted. This will surely focus their minds and help offset the cobwebs that may have settled over the last 2/3 months. I reckon Camross would have loved anyone bar R/E. I cannot see them having the legs.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Neutralobserver

any taughts for weekend

clough ballacolla for the first one

depending on zane keenan for the second, any1 any update on him?

burdizzo

They reckoned he'd be ready for the semi-final. Mind you, I don't think his presence alone will swing it for them.

Zooming around

Quote from: Neutralobserver on October 01, 2019, 12:56:59 PM
any taughts for weekend

clough ballacolla for the first one

depending on zane keenan for the second, any1 any update on him?

Borris and Rathdowney/Errill for me. Both teams have good scoring potential. The conditions will make a bollix of it though.

Silkyskillssunshinee

I think Camross will get a lot closer to R/E than the form lines would indicate. Still, R/E have quality everywhere and I expect them to come through.

Borris-Kilcotton and Clough-Ballacolla is more difficult to call. Neil Foyle and Aaron Dunphy need to take some of the scoring mantle off PJ Scully. If they can perform, Borris-Kilcotton might just edge it.

merman

The sodden pitches might help the outsiders this weekend.
Bookies siding with RE and BK and I think that's fair giving what we know about all 4 teams. Injuries might be telling and I think 3 of the 4 might be short players from the semi-finals.

CB are playing to a very defined system and are getting huge numbers into the middle third. They've been intelligent with their use of the ball but the pressures of a semi-final and the conditions will challenge them. Still, they'll bring a physicality that BK won't enjoy and the message will be to keep goals out.
BK haven't caught fire yet and with the exceptions of Scully and Campion, their forwards have been pretty lacklustre. Its hard to imagine they don't have a sting in the tail and I just think individually, they might have the edge.
BK by 3.

RE should win this. All form lines tell us that but the question is, how prepared are they for the battle they are facing. RE are going to play a semi-final; Camross are going to war. I dont think Camross are going anywhere near as well as they have been but if Zane is back, he could reignite things.
RE, however, have physicality and pace in all the right areas and I just cant see them not getting in for a couple of goals.
They've been the team to beat all year and I think this match will sharpen their focus and set them up for a Final berth as worthy favourites and dark horses for Leinster.
RE by 7.

Neutralobserver

conditions are to improve over the weekend but if they suit any1 best i think it will be camross although they are also good hurlers in their own right

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Neutralobserver on October 04, 2019, 09:38:22 AM
conditions are to improve over the weekend but if they suit any1 best i think it will be camross although they are also good hurlers in their own right

You are like some sort of saviour that has been sent to lead us out of the darkness of abusing and insulting people, and into the light.
Is it at least comfortable on that fence?!

Neutralobserver

English writing not my best but I do apologise if this caused offense. I was trying to say camross good hurlers as they proved already this year and conditions are always discussed in games and my opinion is camross will benefit most. I don't think there is abuse anywhere within it and if there is again apologies

burdizzo

Your English writing is absolutely fine, but you could do a bit of work on your comprehension!

Keyser Söze

Sorry neutral observer, I was only joking and certainly wasn't suggesting that you were abusing anybody! If anything, the opposite. You seem to be very intent on not offending anybody, unlike many of us here! And I certainly wasn't commenting on your level of English or writing. All should be welcome here, it was just "banter" (But seriously get off the fence!)

On the games themselves Camross surely won't be able To lift their game sufficiently to match the free-flowing hurling ability of RE.
Or will they! Even though the weather is forecast to pick up on Sunday this week is heavy rain will surely take its toll on a totally over used pitch. No matter what anybody says this heavier stickier more difficult pitch will definitely suit Camross in terms of hurling styles, legs, and General attitude.
Zane or no Zane I cannot see Camross having the same scoring threat as RE. I said it here from early this year that I don't think Rathdowney Errill will be beaten, especially not by this Camross team who are owed one.  Leaving last years controversial county final aside they have a very good record against cameras over the last 15 years. There is no lingering sense of doubt/fear or whatever. Maybe I am crazy but I don't think that RE's easy run To the semi-final is a negative for them. They have had so many players playing at such a high level all year that I think the break or drop off in the intensity will turn out to have been a blessing. It suits them to be playing camera us as that extra little bit of motivation will help to offset any cobwebs that may have set in.

The first game is more difficult to call. In fairness to Ballacolla They have successfully reinvented themselves this year. I am a little surprised at how well it has gone. The only thing that may come against them is that BK (and others) are now well aware of the style They are attempting to play. If any team is equipped to counter this by playing the ball out from the back, shooting from distance, and cleverly using the ball then I think that BK are that team.
I would change things slightly playing one of the Dunphies and Scully further out shooting from distance with Foyle inside winning ball when they have to go direct to counter the crowded middle third that Ballacolla will bring. Foyle  is particularly hot and cold. His form could turn out to be the deciding factor. I think BK are justified favourites particularly if the unfortunate injury news from CB turns out to be accurate. BK have serious experience on the line and it will be interesting to see What they have learned from the earlier encounter. As we have seen from teams like Limerick play out reasonably similar style to CB, teams eventually Come up with a way of countering your style.

For me it's BK by five points and RE by seven points.

Ogie

Borris Kilcotton & Rathdowney Errills forwards to shoot them through to the final

Keyser Söze

First game very predictable really. BK hurled around CB's system rather than straight into it.
In the second game RE were absolutely steeped. Looked totally lifeless and while it was an unbelievable finish, they scarcely deserved the goal to win it.
BK's squad looks a lot deeper than RE's going on today.
It's no surprise that it has come down to these two, and if I had to call it this evening I'd side with BK. Interesting build up to come!

Will BK finally invest in a new set of jerseys?!

Neutralobserver

Inivediable Roddy would produce that after last years controversy.

Helix.

Camross left that semi final behind them but credit to Rathdowney Errill and some finish from Ross  King. Some justice after last year for him even though he said himself afterwards that he had a poor game.

PJ Scully on fire today and will be a tasty enough final in 2 weeks time.