The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

I'd say the French or any other nation don't give a shiny shit what national anthem is played.

Helix.

Quote from: Hound on November 01, 2020, 10:11:36 AM
Given the injuries, I thought Farrell picked the right team and played the right tactics.

But hard to legislate for so many playing so badly on the same day. Wet ball and slippery conditions shouldn't be an excuse for these guys.

If everyone played 7/10, I think we win that game comfortably. But maybe only the starting props could claim to have played to that level. Then disasters at fullback and lineout means a beating.

Simple errors killed Ireland. Line outs coughed up too many turnovers and knock ons. France definitely an improved and promising side and didn't have to work too hard for their tries either. Only for their red card vs Scotland France could well have had a grand slam last night.

dublin7

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 31, 2020, 11:00:18 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 31, 2020, 10:09:55 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 31, 2020, 10:05:56 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 31, 2020, 10:01:37 PM
A shambles.

I don't think it was. We just aren't very good at rugby. This realisation just won't penetrate the people who matter.

True, Rugby World Cups prove this. There won't be much written in the media. The Soccer lads get a much heavier rap, playing in a worldwide game.

The rugby media are notoriously soft. Henshaw refused to be critical of his drinking buddies on the box there. Bad luck my arse. The IRFU accounts released last week make the FAI look flush. Yet nobody is calling the goys out.

They are threatening to pull professional rugby if they don't get a €40m bailout to cover a €30m loss this year. On a turnover of €87m and including a €27m land sale that was swallowed. How are they not under the same pressure the FAI were?

The rugby are media are not soft on Ireland. The print media journalists don't hold back when criticising the team. Henshaw shouldn't have to answer for the other players.

The IRFU have all their players on professional contracts unlike the FAI/GAA so playing behind closed doors means they are the biggest losers financially due to Covid.

restorepride

Quote from: square_ball on November 01, 2020, 11:22:51 AM
I'd say the French or any other nation don't give a shiny shit what national anthem is played.
Balls.  Can you imagine the French changing their anthem for a minority who don't feel French!!!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: restorepride on November 01, 2020, 12:40:55 PM
Balls.  Can you imagine the French changing their anthem for a minority who don't feel French!!!!

If your bigger worry is the anthem rather than the rugby then step away and don't bother
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: dublin7 on November 01, 2020, 12:00:40 PM
A shambles.

I don't think it was. We just aren't very good at rugby. This realisation just won't penetrate the people who matter.

True, Rugby World Cups prove this. There won't be much written in the media. The Soccer lads get a much heavier rap, playing in a worldwide game.

The rugby media are notoriously soft. Henshaw refused to be critical of his drinking buddies on the box there. Bad luck my arse. The IRFU accounts released last week make the FAI look flush. Yet nobody is calling the goys out.

They are threatening to pull professional rugby if they don't get a €40m bailout to cover a €30m loss this year. On a turnover of €87m and including a €27m land sale that was swallowed. How are they not under the same pressure the FAI were?

The rugby are media are not soft on Ireland. The print media journalists don't hold back when criticising the team. Henshaw shouldn't have to answer for the other players.

The IRFU have all their players on professional contracts unlike the FAI/GAA so playing behind closed doors means they are the biggest losers financially due to Covid.

Mild criticism of individual players is not asking the hard questions. They are complicit in the culture of delusional over confidence.

I understand the reasons but the inference from the IRFU is between 50% and 100% of turnover is ticketing. Are they doing anything to plug those gaps?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2020, 10:07:36 AM
A shambles.

Right we get it, you hate GAA and rugby, why bother posting on these threads?

You really are a snowflake with a very odd definition of hate. When you hit puberty and go out into the real wotld you are in for a shock.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 01, 2020, 04:26:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2020, 10:07:36 AM
A shambles.

Right we get it, you hate GAA and rugby, why bother posting on these threads?

You really are a snowflake with a very odd definition of hate. When you hit puberty and go out into the real wotld you are in for a shock.

Ok. Thanks for warning me about real world
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dublin7

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 01, 2020, 04:25:20 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 01, 2020, 12:00:40 PM
A shambles.

Mild criticism of individual players is not asking the hard questions. They are complicit in the culture of delusional over confidence.

I understand the reasons but the inference from the IRFU is between 50% and 100% of turnover is ticketing. Are they doing anything to plug those gaps?

NO. They're going to declare for bankruptcy. What a stupid question. Of course they are doing their best to reduce costs, maximise income etc. IRFU implemented pay cuts back in March when lockdown was first introduced.Introduced a one off season ticket scheme to try bring in some income in this unique season.

How are the Irish rugby team/players delusional? It was basic errors not lack of ability that cost them victory last night. Getting the basics right is normally something Ireland excel at.

If you don't like rugby just don't read this thread

restorepride

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2020, 03:28:43 PM
Quote from: restorepride on November 01, 2020, 12:40:55 PM

If your bigger worry is the anthem rather than the rugby then step away and don't bother
Not on a GAA discussion thread.

GetOverTheBar

https://www.rte.ie/sport/six-nations/2020/1101/1175270-conway-disappointed-half-time-belief-talk-needed/

Not sure what Conway is on, but he would do well to try and slip in the background and not draw attention to himself after last night.

6th sam

Where does rugby go from here?

From the outside, IRFU seem to have really nailed the professional game in ireland , they have brilliantly maintained an All-Ireland sport, but in reality we still can't compete in World Cup, and the club game is under pressure.
Covid likely to continue to be a problem given the close contact of the game.
Questionable ethics around targeting vulnerable players eg Sexton.
The serious risks of concussion given the apparent increased amount and force of contacts. The neck risk in the scrum and rucks etc. . Recurrent controversy around anthems , selection and off field behaviour and ethos.
I'm embarrassed to admit that despite the fact that Ireland were in a chance of winning the six nations , I switched channels, in second half,  as I find it increasingly boring. Physicality and technicality have trumped flair.
Despite top notch officiating , VAR etc, and brilliant marketing, Rugby just seems to be getting less exciting and more dangerous . It doesn't seem to have made many inroads outside the traditional rugby base, apart from attracting some elite players through professionalism. The fact that rugby is considered mainly the preserve of those from privileged Rugby school background doesn't help.
As someone who never missed watching Ireland play, I've completely lost interest, like many others I know. These ongoing challenges are bound to be a concern for IRFU , I don't see how it can easily be changed.

Hound

International team is doing fine. Can beat anyone in the world on their day. So of course we can compete at World Cups, just so happened to lost all our quarter-final matches!

Last 9 Six Nations have been split 3 for England, 3 for Wales, 3 for Ireland. That's a fine return.

Rugby is dangerous. Although it's past its peak danger-levels which were a few years ago. Rules have changed to make it safer.

There's no controversy about the anthem within Irish rugby. Not everyone loves the anthem but anyone with a genuine interest in Irish rugby realises it's a fair compromise given the politics.

The provincial game is doing fine. Leinster can compete with anyone. The other 3 are usually a match for any of the Scottish and Welsh teams and can often give the French and English a bellyfull. So long as the IRFU continue to only pick Irish based players, the provinces should continue to be as competitive as they are now. And we'll see how long the money keeps flowing to keep the English and French teams ahead.

The club game is what it is. Not very important other than to those directly involved. They'll plod along. Not too many folding.

It's the third team sport in Ireland. A long way behind GAA and soccer. It's punching at its weight. 

6th sam

Quote from: Hound on November 02, 2020, 10:49:27 AM
International team is doing fine. Can beat anyone in the world on their day. So of course we can compete at World Cups, just so happened to lost all our quarter-final matches!

Last 9 Six Nations have been split 3 for England, 3 for Wales, 3 for Ireland. That's a fine return.

Rugby is dangerous. Although it's past its peak danger-levels which were a few years ago. Rules have changed to make it safer.

There's no controversy about the anthem within Irish rugby. Not everyone loves the anthem but anyone with a genuine interest in Irish rugby realises it's a fair compromise given the politics.

The provincial game is doing fine. Leinster can compete with anyone. The other 3 are usually a match for any of the Scottish and Welsh teams and can often give the French and English a bellyfull. So long as the IRFU continue to only pick Irish based players, the provinces should continue to be as competitive as they are now. And we'll see how long the money keeps flowing to keep the English and French teams ahead.

The club game is what it is. Not very important other than to those directly involved. They'll plod along. Not too many folding.

It's the third team sport in Ireland. A long way behind GAA and soccer. It's punching at its weight.

Fair points all. Just miss the previous excitement around rugby internationals, maybe I'm just getting old😂

GetOverTheBar

Think the Irish cycle needs to begin again ahead of the next World Cup in France in three years time.

Some might not make it that far, will Sexton, Healy and O'Mahoney make it for example or will it be a Best type situation when we aren't ruthless enough to move them until it's exposed too late?

Aki is 30 now, his type of play, what will be left in 3 years, Stander something similar? Conor Murray is older, but age might be less of a problem if he can still get around the park.

Carberry/Ringrose highly rated...but it's rare to ever get them both fit at the same time unfortunately. Zebo will probably come back at some stage over the next few years which might be a short term fix for full back if nothing else looks like happening.

Are the players there coming through to replace the above?