The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playwiththewind1st

That there's a load of ould garbage spouted on here?

longballin

We'll look back and remember that the GAA Board helped change laws about rape trials here.

Asal Mor

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 29, 2018, 05:59:47 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 29, 2018, 03:57:40 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 29, 2018, 03:47:29 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 29, 2018, 03:45:48 PM
Quote from: Taylor on March 29, 2018, 03:42:16 PM
Like the above piece the only things we will read online and in print for the next few days will be unbalanced and pointing out the distress the girl has had to go through (which she undoubtedly had to).

It will take a brave person  (or unwise) to go against the grain and put a piece in from the boys perspective.

Eh? Have you looked at social media? Trying to make martyrs out of these lads because there wasn't enough to convict them in a criminal case is rich in the extreme. They've already got more support than their actions declswrved.

Can I ask a question Syferus,  you have steadfastly believed they are guilty. Please summarise why you thingbso.

If you want to see why you're free to look at my previous posts in this thread. I'm not going through it from square one again.

I see nrico falling into the trap of equating the verdict of not guilty with innocence despite it being said upwards of twenty times that's not the case. Some here seem to think a not guilty verdict is like deleting a save in a video game and everything resets, with every bit of evidence of wrongdoing being considered incorrect or lies. That ain't how it works.

I have just read most of the posts that you made to this thread and you made no reference to why you argue that she was raped apart from repeating that she was telling the truth and this was a cover up by all the lads involved and the system is wrong. You repeatedly played the man and called the defendants rapists and i think at least 1 reference to a brutal gang rape. You said she was more consistent then they were but when anyone pointed out her inconsistencies you simply said something akin the lines of well what would you expect as she was traumatised. When anyone disagreed with you, the likes of MR2 or Asap Mor, you simply played the man and tried to belittle them and took a superiority complex approach and were very condescending to them. When people clearly called you out, like I did and others, for example over the whole idea of replacing the juror, you point blank refused to reply.  Your refusal to stand over why you think they were brutal rapists weakens your position. You have fallen back on the default that they may be not guilty but they are not  innocent yet but you refuse to acknowledge that you're on the wrong side of the law with you approach and you are absolutely no different to the #ibelieveher fundamentalist ones. For what it's worth I have spoken to people who work for the prosecution services and they were not even sure that they were guilty so if they were convinced how the hell could they convince a jury. The evidence was reflected in the outcome. They are innocent in the eyes of the law and that is a fact. In your eyes they are not and that is an opinion. Big difference
Thank you bcb. Very well put as usual and I'd echo those who've  said it's been an education reading your's and David's posts on here.

square_ball

Quote from: screenexile on March 29, 2018, 10:29:04 PM
Quote from: fearbrags on March 29, 2018, 09:58:36 PM
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/martina-devlin-twotier-morality-means-girls-face-an-impossible-list-of-dos-and-donts-36757069.html

Dear lord!!!

How does that nonsense get published??

And just to echo the sentiments towards bcb and David McKeown - great work lads. You can set up the Gaaboard Official Legal Thread when you get a chance!!

Hectic

Yeah I have found this whole episode sickening.

As far as the trial is concerned I always hoped the correct decision would be arrived at without knowing what the correct decision is and that remains the case.

But it is society that has well and truly sickened me. Those who 'knew' what happened that night and have been spouting off accordingly. There is a victim or victims here but for a lot of people they have ruled on the basis of the stuff floating around in their own heads.

The bad side of human nature on full display.

Minder

Saw a bit on the news there with the #ibelieveher crowd outside Laganside, usual crowd of headers, pink hair "bohemian" types.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Syferus

Quote from: Minder on March 29, 2018, 10:50:36 PM
Saw a bit on the news there with the #ibelieveher crowd outside Laganside, usual crowd of headers, pink hair "bohemian" types.

I'm pretty sure they'd think you're just as much of a header.

Demeaning a group en masse because you disagree with them is extremely stupid. You haven't a clue about who they are or what their lives are like.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 29, 2018, 05:52:22 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 29, 2018, 09:51:16 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 29, 2018, 09:41:23 AM
David, do you know if the definition is different in the ROI jurisdiction?

It is as I know it can be committed recklessly in the republic. I would need to check but I also don't think consent is defined in statute although that may have changed in recent years.

I think it's along the lines of a man commits rape if he has intercourse with a person who did not consent and he either knew this or was reckless. I'm no expert though and I would need to do a little research.

No need bud.  We've plenty of experts on here apparently...

Just two it seems.. so I wouldn't take anyone else's view on it as a true reflection of how a court case actually goes to be fair, an opinion (rightly or wrongly is just that) will not persuade most people who have their own agenda, regardless of the facts
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trileacman

I'm sorry if you disagree with the result but I don't understand how anyone can advocate a system where the IP version of events are not challenged in a court of law. There's a lot of shite that she shouldn't be questioned for so long. Not 3 weeks ago everyone of this guardian reading crowd were celebrating how well she acquitted herself in the witness box. The IP version of events must be scrutinised as closely as the defendants if their is to be any sense of fairness or equality within the law.

There's this bizarre argument out there that seems to suggest that in cases of rape the IP's testimony should be above reproach.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on March 29, 2018, 10:50:36 PM

The flipping vegans, lgbt, tree huggers are always at it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

And now this has all blown over  ::) we can announce that the resident virtue signaller of the year award goes to .......

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Main Street

Quote from: square_ball on March 29, 2018, 10:32:17 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 29, 2018, 10:29:04 PM
Quote from: fearbrags on March 29, 2018, 09:58:36 PM
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/martina-devlin-twotier-morality-means-girls-face-an-impossible-list-of-dos-and-donts-36757069.html

Dear lord!!!

How does that nonsense get published??
Are you completely at a loss for common sense  to take on board some of the points made in that article?
Do you think there is no merit for such a rape case to be held in camera, for the complainant  or the accused who were deemed not guilty? That even in a trial where the prosecution case had much more substance, that such an experience for the complainant would be any easier? That such a court experience could be perceived as an off putting ordeal for a complainant?
You don't think people are entitled to have an opinion on the the loutish carry on of the accused?